Colorado shooting!

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't normally do this but it effects most of us!
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?c=&page=1

dennishoddy

That was a bad deal. Not that I do, but it's sad people can't even go to a movie or any public gathering any more without some idiot wanting to cause trouble.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
That was a bad deal. Not that I do, but it's sad people can't even go to a movie or any public gathering any more without some idiot wanting to cause trouble.

I was wanting to watch it next weekend at the Imax with my wife. Don't know that I will.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'm seeing it tonight. Just because a wacko showed up in CO doesn't mean that a wacko will show up in OK.

Also waiting for the inevitable gun/ammo ban paranoia.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm seeing it tonight. Just because a wacko showed up in CO doesn't mean that a wacko will show up in OK.

Also waiting for the inevitable gun/ammo ban paranoia.

I know that doesn't mean it will happen here. Its making me reconsider my carry habits. And my wife doesn't like it when I carry with her around. Which in this case would be the movie. The change would be convincing my wife to let me carry more ;)

TroyF

TheBearcat
Might be a good instance to educate your wife about why you need to carry. It's for HER protection, right?

If one looks at the news, there is a mass killing every day somewhere in the world. Every day.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I was wanting to watch it next weekend at the Imax with my wife. Don't know that I will.

Every wife is different so your mileage will definitely vary, but maybe try something like this:

You: "This story (shooting), and others like it really make me think more and more about you and your safety. I don't feel very comfortable when we go out and I don't have a way to defend you or myself."

Her: "awwwh, Maybe it would't be such a bad idea"

You: "maybe, you right dear"

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Might be a good instance to educate your wife about why you need to carry. It's for HER protection, right?

If one looks at the news, there is a mass killing every day somewhere in the world. Every day.

I appreciate both of your suggestions, and I have tried both to no avail. She just doesn't see my side of it :( it may partly be because its coming from me and not an "expert".

I carry to protect myself, my family, my property. She denies me the ability to protect them when we are going out.

What's bad is she doesn't watch the news because "it's always bad"

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Maybe you should let a semi-pro take her out one evening?

Seriously though, It is a long slow road educating someone who has a negative opinion of guns and concealed carry. My wife doesn't LOVE guns but she understands the need. I don't hide the fact from her that I carry a gun everywhere we go (I know some do). She MIGHT even carry one of her own someday, who knows. Until then it's my job

Just keep at it and slowly maybe she will come around. I have seen a lot of success with spouses if you can get them to go out and shoot SOMETHING, ANYTHING and let them see that guns aren't really scary

Good Luck!

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Maybe you should let a semi-pro take her out one evening?

Seriously though, It is a long slow road educating someone who has a negative opinion of guns and concealed carry. My wife doesn't LOVE guns but she understands the need. I don't hide the fact from her that I carry a gun everywhere we go (I know some do). She MIGHT even carry one of her own someday, who knows. Until then it's my job

Just keep at it and slowly maybe she will come around. I have seen a lot of success with spouses if you can get them to go out and shoot SOMETHING, ANYTHING and let them see that guns aren't really scary

Good Luck!

She is supportive of me shooting competition! That one took awhile. And she used to go shooting with me all the time. Now she shoots every now and then, and even owns her own gun. But its a target gun to her, and she has some gun handling problems, that everytime I try to help with turns to an argument. I think that may be part of it. She has problems handling guns so everybody else will too? I don't know. I can't teach her, I love her too much for that.(plus she's not willing to listen) maybe a semi-pro will teach her how its done and she will go along with it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Although it may sound crude, I didn't give my wife a choice.
I wasn't willing to take the risk of needing it & not having it just to make her happy.
She got used to it & is no longer bothered by it.
Now for her, me having my gun is just as normal as having my phone.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
She is supportive of me shooting competition! That one took awhile. And she used to go shooting with me all the time. Now she shoots every now and then, and even owns her own gun. But its a target gun to her, and she has some gun handling problems, that everytime I try to help with turns to an argument. I think that may be part of it. She has problems handling guns so everybody else will too? I don't know. I can't teach her, I love her too much for that.(plus she's not willing to listen) maybe a semi-pro will teach her how its done and she will go along with it.

My comment about a semi-pro taking her out was tongue-in-cheek and I wasn't talking about them taking her shooting (wink). Anyway that joke lost something on the keyboard, but trust me it would have been funny in person :)

Back to the serious stuff, if you could get her to take one of the "women only" courses at H&H it might solve a couple of you issues. Gun handling and gun understanding.

Short story: When Michele first started going to my matches she was nervous about everyone carrying guns around seemingly "willy-nilly". I sat down with her and talked to her about all the safety measures that are in place (safe area etc), the job of the RO, and also about the 4 rules of gun safety. She saw that it wasn't so "willy-nilly" I think she realized it even more when i told her I had to DQ a good friend's wife at a match for a safety violation :(

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I got the semi pro joke LOL, might be a fare trade one night with a semi pro for no arguments about guns lol.... just getting this out the I don't support no semi-pros kid!

For the most part classes are out of the question, either they are out of our price range or she just refuses to go. I've gone that route too.

dennishoddy

Women on target is a great program. It's free, but sadly like you, my wife won't go, relying on me for her safety. She has no problem with me carrying.
The semi pro comment might have been a funny, but there is a lot of truth. I'm not yet qualified to be a semi pro but do help teach WOT programs at our range in Ponca. Last year a coworker finally convinced his wife to come.
He said later that she really enjoyed it and learned good stance, etc.
Same thing Ron had been trying to teach her for a long time, and like you, getting into arguments.
Good luck.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Women on target is a great program. It's free, but sadly like you, my wife won't go, relying on me for her safety. She has no problem with me carrying.
The semi pro comment might have been a funny, but there is a lot of truth. I'm not yet qualified to be a semi pro but do help teach WOT programs at our range in Ponca. Last year a coworker finally convinced his wife to come.
Same thing Ron had been trying to teach her for a long time, and like you, getting into arguments.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Last year a coworker finally convinced his wife to come.

You work with Accurate Ron?

Actually, now that I think about it, that can't be true because Accurate Ron could not have a wife because no woman could be exposed to such awesomeness for more than just a few minutes at a time

dennishoddy

LOL! Our Ron is not very accurate.

His situation is like mine. They live in the country at an isolated location, where the wife spends lots of time by herself.
He just wanted a gun to keep in the house for her or him to defend themselves.
After WOT, everything changed for him. My wife chooses to be a victim.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I know that doesn't mean it will happen here. Its making me reconsider my carry habits. And my wife doesn't like it when I carry with her around. Which in this case would be the movie. The change would be convincing my wife to let me carry more :wink:
When I had a similar talk with my wife I said something like this, " would you rather get raped while Im bleeding to death behind a dumpster?"

You are the man, and it is your responsiblity to protect her, her opinion on carrying concealed or firearms in general have ZERO do to with your real world responsibility...

Man up boss... no offense intended, but there comes a point where you gotta put your big boy pants on and do what a man must...she will get over it

Latest posts