Colonial Williamsburg - Ever Been There??

FredAlbumin

New Fanatic
So, my better half and I have decided to visit Colonial Williamsburg this spring. We are prompted by the article just published in American Rifleman - "Making the American Rifle." We know nothing about the east, or Virginia or Colonial Williamsburg. Of course we will visit the gunsmithing program and plan to fire the muskets at the gun range.

Have any of you 1911 fanatics out there visited Colonial Williamsburg and can provide some advice?

Many thanks in advance...FredAlbumin

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep! You're in for one of the greatest trips in your life. It's a Bucket List item even if it wasn't on your bucket list! Visit the glass factory/shop, the blacksmith shop, the old colonial governor's mansion. William & Mary College. Visit Jamestown settlement (close by). It's a history lovers vacation if there ever was one!

bovw

New Fanatic
All of the above, and eat at one of the historic taverns. Lots of other good food choices in Williamsburg too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep, my recollections are from when I was a kid (50+ years ago). One of the Taverns we ate at, had students (from William & Mary), dressed in period costumes serving as wait staff and servers. I'd be surprised if that type of location (restaurant) wasn't still available to experience.

Don't know if they're still there or not, but Jamestown had full sized mockups of the sailing ships the first settlers came across in. I recall stepping on the smallest ship (I think it was called, "God Speed") and the ship actually bobbed in the water with just me stepping onto it. It blew my mind to think people spent three months and crossed an ocean in such a vessel.

When I visited Jamestown so many years ago, the actual location of James fort wasn't known - thought, lost to history. But in recent years archeologists have actually found its location and mapped out its exact location. They have an on-going archeological dig which has made many interesting little discoveries along the way. One of these days, I'm going to satisfy my curiosity and get back there!

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
As a Williamsburg resident, here are a couple of thoughts:
- Eating at one of the taverns is fun, but the quality of the food isn't the best.
- The Blue Talon ($$$) and the Fat Canary ($$$$) have very good food both for lunch and dinner right in Market Square. My favorite restaurant in the area is Le Yaca, which is actually French, but serves a nice variety of dishes. Lunch is your best bet and you can go in a sport shirt and khaki trousers (skip the jeans).
- Go to the peanut shop in Market Square - even if you don't like peanuts.
- Just Google Colonial Williamsburg for more info than you can probably absorb. There are always special events going on, especially during the Spring, Summer, and early Fall.
- Jamestown is definitely a must visit and yes, the ships are still there along with a glass factory and visitors center.
- Take the Colonial Parkway from Jamestown to the Yorktown museum and battlefield.
- If you get tired of all of the above, Busch Gardens is right down the road.

PM me for more info if you'd like.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Very enjoyable, but it was about 30-35 years ago. I was on business, and stuck for the weekend. Made the trek to Williamsburg and enjoyed it very much. I'm sure it's expanded considerably since the early to mid 1980's. Well worth the visit!

Latest posts