Cold weather combat pistol?

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
Went outside today to try out some steel targets a friend made for me. After 100 38s through the GP100 I practiced drawing from concealment with primary G19. Drawing from JIT slide under coat and hoodie was very slow (as were reloads) and in the future I will carry in pocket. But the I had difficulty with follow up shots with gloves on. I did better by placing weak hand index finger in front of trigger guard. I hadn't ever practiced with winter clothing before or with gloves on.

I know there are a lot of knowledgable folks on here and would like to hear some suggestions.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Thin leather gloves help alot. I kinda like fingerless gloves with leather palms ... they work pretty well.

Shooting in gloves is just something you need to practice.

If you dress in layers... try to use a top layer and keep it unzipped. Your still gonna have to dig deeper but it can be done.

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the input.
I do wear leather gloves often and used to have a pair of mittens that folded back to reveal fingers. I also realize that facing a deadly confrontation in weather like we are experiencing is unlikely. But murphy will show up at the worst time.

After thniking on it this evening I realize that if I thought a threat were possible I would shed the gloves.

Probably not a big deal but shooting this afternoon with gloves had me thinking.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I also realize that facing a deadly confrontation in weather like we are experiencing is unlikely.

Weather (or Murphy) have nothing to do with it. Your chances of a deadly confrontation are likely no different in the summer or in the winter. BE PREPARED! Cold weather training is very important. I am not sure that shooting with gloves on is such a great idea. An accidental discharge is much more likely if your big fat glove-covered fingers can't feel the trigger.

I do like the idea of practicing draw and presentation with your full winter gear on. Nothing moves the same with 3-4 layers of clothing on.

I think our next "organized shooting event" (that was for you Jesse) should be in full winter gear. maybe call it DEEP concealment, sponsored by Carhartt!

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
What Burk (and others) said but especially Burk: You don't pick the time and place, your attacker does.

For 'out and about' gloves get yourself a thin pair of microfleece gloves with textured palms and fingers or some lightweight leather gloves. I normally won't wear gloves just going from the car to inside but if I'm outside for a while my thin Mountain Hardwear gloves work very well and I've worn them in both the rifle and handgun sessions of Training Group classes at USSA. They work, period.

If you do work such as drive a truck or tow or something that requires a more durable (read: thicker and stiffer) glove then you're just stuck with that and should do just what you've done: practice like you'll carry. Sometimes deep concealment is your best or only option and knowing that you go from a 1.8 second draw to first round on target time in the summer/fall to 4.2 seconds in the winter will give you the information you need to adjust the things you do during the draw process (moving offline, moving to concealment, etc.). In the end it comes down to: Practice like you fight.

Uncivil

Active Fanatic
Wear some hockey gloves and throw em off. Good thinking on the practice with the heavier clothing for the season.

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
What Burk (and others) said but especially Burk: You don't pick the time and place, your attacker does.

For 'out and about' gloves get yourself a thin pair of microfleece gloves with textured palms and fingers or some lightweight leather gloves. I normally won't wear gloves just going from the car to inside but if I'm outside for a while my thin Mountain Hardwear gloves work very well and I've worn them in both the rifle and handgun sessions of Training Group classes at USSA. They work, period.

If you do work such as drive a truck or tow or something that requires a more durable (read: thicker and stiffer) glove then you're just stuck with that and should do just what you've done: practice like you'll carry. Sometimes deep concealment is your best or only option and knowing that you go from a 1.8 second draw to first round on target time in the summer/fall to 4.2 seconds in the winter will give you the information you need to adjust the things you do during the draw process (moving offline, moving to concealment, etc.). In the end it comes down to: Practice like you fight.

Thanks. The Mountain Hardwear Pistolero or less expensive Monkey glove look good.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
When its cold enough, these are what I wear. I had two sets I wore over in Iraq, yes it does get cold over there, we were in the high desert area, and even got snow.

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?M5COPY%2Ectx=29588&M5%2Ectx=29588&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Gloves&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Gloves&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

30718_433710161741_537796741_561204.jpg

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
As to cold weather combat pistol, I carry my 66-2 and my 640. Both loaded with DEWC, backed up by 158gr SWCHP+P for reloads.

dennishoddy

have a pair of mittens that folded back to reveal fingers.

I handgun hunt, and use the mittens that fold back as well. With a little practice, the mitten part comes off of the fingers pretty quick.
All it takes is practice. I just sweep them up the side of my leg.