Cocks the hammer but dose not eject the spent cartridge.

Sure Shot Rick

Fanatic
I built a .38 Super on Caspian frame and slide, Briley ramped barrel, and Stuart Arms coned comp. Hand cycling everything seems perfect. Feeds and ejects fired cases great. With two rounds loaded. The first round goes off. The slide comes back and recocks the hammer, but the spent case is back in the chamber. It extracts but does not eject. This is my first experience with .38 Super. Do I need to file an angle to the top front of the ejector?3.jpg4.jpg

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
A few more details would help. Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? 38 super or comp brass? Although I'm a big reloader for 38 super, I find it's best to try factory ammo first on new guns or projects, just to rule out my reloads. Could very well be an ejector issue. I'm not familiar with the ejector Caspian uses? With the slide removed and barrel out of the slide, will the extractor hold a live 38 super bullet while lightly shaking the slide? I'm sure some real talent will be along shortly to assist. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Sure Shot Rick

Fanatic
A few more details would help. Are you shooting factory ammo or reloads? 38 super or comp brass? Although I'm a big reloaded for 38 super, I find it's best to try factory ammo first on new guns or projects, just to rule out my reloads. Could very well be an ejector issue. I'm not familiar with the ejector Caspian uses? With the slide removed and barrel out of the slide, will the extractor hold a live 38 super bullet while lightly shaking the slide? I'm sure some real talent will be along shortly to assist. Best of luck!

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
The first two pictures are Colt Government models (38 Super). It looks like the ejectors are angled at the top. The third picture is a Guncrafter No Name (38 Super) and it appears to have an extended ejector. Lots of options. Not sure if these pictures help?

B1E19C92-C9BD-44FF-B2A7-0E85991B8487.jpeg88C0FA3D-59C2-4EDA-9C74-F094F9B8D8AC.jpeg03DA0245-7F4D-47EC-8886-3E030752F2C3.jpeg

Last edited:

Sure Shot Rick

Fanatic
I can not access your photos. I altered the ejector nose to now have a 10-degree \ angle instead of the / angle it came with. This also shortened it the amount to accomplish its new profile. Wedding to attend tomorrow and the drag strip Sunday. I will test fire it next week. I really would like to view your pictures. After I finished my reply the attachments opened perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Sure Shot Rick

Fanatic
new2 shows the new ejector shape. The Aim Point used to be on a Para-Ordnance framed .45 with a Wilson drop in bushing comp that is why there is silver showing where brass occasionally banged it before I figured out how to tune it.

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 26
  • new3.jpg
    new3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • new4.jpg
    new4.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

gaijin

Active Fanatic
In spite of your statement "extractor was adjusted", it sounds like an extractor issue- as in; too little tension to hold case in place as it contacts ejector.
However, trying to diagnose issues via photos and vague comment is usually an exercise in futility.

gundoc1988

Fanatic
I built a .38 Super on Caspian frame and slide, Briley ramped barrel, and Stuart Arms coned comp. Hand cycling everything seems perfect. Feeds and ejects fired cases great. With two rounds loaded. The first round goes off. The slide comes back and recocks the hammer, but the spent case is back in the chamber. It extracts but does not eject. This is my first experience with .38 Super. Do I need to file an angle to the top front of the ejector?View attachment 5607View attachment 5608
I built a .38 Super on Caspian frame and slide, Briley ramped barrel, and Stuart Arms coned comp. Hand cycling everything seems perfect. Feeds and ejects fired cases great. With two rounds loaded. The first round goes off. The slide comes back and recocks the hammer, but the spent case is back in the chamber. It extracts but does not eject. This is my first experience with .38 Super. Do I need to file an angle to the top front of the ejector?View attachment 5607View attachment 5608

gundoc1988

Fanatic
I hope this helps and isn't to late. Didn't have any kids around to help. 1, the ejector looks to short, for a 5" lim-or non comped gun. 2, chk recoil spring, what lb. are you running? Could be 2 heavy, and combined with the ejector it could be short stroking. 3, Ejector face on an open gun should be fairly straight, no angles, bevels, nothing, not with a cage type optic mount, also proper extr tention, for an open gun, not a std 5", also flat bottom under hook, not rounded over. Sorry so long winded, but comp guns need a diff aproach.

Sure Shot Rick

Fanatic
12lb recoil and 20lb hammer spring. The extractor is tension-ed to hold a loaded round with shaking, The extractor is beveled at the bottom behind the hook for the cartridge rim to slide on up while feeding. When the weather and my lower back allow, I'll take it back out and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts.

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
Since the empty case is going right back into the chamber my best guess is that the slide is short stroking. The case isn't getting to the ejector or there would be some sort of jam instead of just going straight back into the chamber. Now this is just a guess since I have no experience with comped guns. Perhaps try a lighter recoil spring to see what happens. Is the main spring in the normal range? Standard firing pin stop or square bottomed?
Best wishes on getting this straightened out.

gundoc1988

Fanatic
12lb recoil and 20lb hammer spring. The extractor is tension-ed to hold a loaded round with shaking, The extractor is beveled at the bottom behind the hook for the cartridge rim to slide on up while feeding. When the weather and my lower back allow, I'll take it back out and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts.
I would go down on the mainspring to at least 18, 17 would still work, on the recoil spring go to 8-9, you should notice a difference, 12lb is to much, the case should move freely and smoothly, it is probably to tight, and that with to hvy a main and recoil spring is slightly short cycling and rechambering the fired case. Make these changes and I'm certain your probs are over.