CMP 1911 Sales Program

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
In the News about the CMP 1911 program.

CMP has found a couple of "re-sellers" on Gun Broker, offering their Service Grade 1911 (the highest grade, $1050 ones) for sale. And CMP jest don't like it one bit! From their website:
a8b8035a77b146d5fa08f885182520fe.jpg
RNG = Random Number Generator (i.e., their lottery number / sales technique program).

Last edited:

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL it is not going to stop. Money is money and maybe someone wanted a pistol that was from a certain maker and did not get it and then sells it. Oh Well..

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess they're going to have to spend extra manpower resources (they claim they don't have), researching who the culprits were! They've got to get hold of an actual name from Gun Broker (or whoever), in order to "ban" them from future CMP participation. [emoji102]

A part of this program's launch, was an agreement to a Congressional review after the first year. They wanted to make sure the pistols didn't end up in the hands of bad actors. So I guess threatening to ban them from future CMP activity is their only recourse.

Last edited:

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL it is not going to stop. Money is money and maybe someone wanted a pistol that was from a certain maker and did not get it and then sells it. Oh Well..
No but like everything else the few fu€k it up for everyone!!
If the person wants an specific example then their best course of action would be to buy one from the CMP auctions (which is where the good ones will end up) not get whatever random one they receive and resell it!

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe that the shooters are partially to blame here, as long as there are folks that will support the inflated market, the buyer/re-sellers will continue to try and make a buck. Let's face it, these old war horses are not generally worth the prices they are bringing. A 75 year old shooter quality gun without provenance should probably be worth 5 to 7 hundred dollars, but demand drives the cost up. I'm not sure the CMP/auction system for the decent ones is helping either. Just my opinion. We knew the whole 1911 thing would turn into a s**t show from the start.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't blame this all on the prospective buyers.

The jackholes that intentionally are buying and flipping them should be be banned from CMP participation forever. Some people actually followed the rules but weren't selected by the CMP.

Place the blame where it needs to be, screw this it's the buyers' fault bullsquat.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Apparently only a couple (so far) have been offered publicly for resale. I don't know how many hundreds or thousands have processed, but off hand, I'd say that's a remarkably small number. Of course there's no way of telling how many have been resold through private (non-advertised) transactions.

The last set of numbers I saw for the one listed on Gun Broker indicated the seller was only going to clear in the neighborhood of $125-150 (after paying selling expenses, FFL, etc.). Let's say prep time of putting the CMP bid package together, mailing it, tracking, etc. of two hours; that's $60 to $75 per hour. Not that great of return on time (IMHO).... but to each their own. Hope he enjoys taking his wife or girlfriend out to dinner because he ain't likely to get another shot at CMP (assuming they make good on their threat).

If CMP's main concern is pistols getting into the wrong hands and this kind of activity bringing about an end to the program, I don't think that'll happen. Bad guys can find a lot cheaper pistols "on the street" than these. Much more likely a problem would be stolen pistols (IMHO) than this resale issue.

Last edited:

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
The problem for the CMP isn't "bad guys" selling pistols on the street. It's people who are supposed to be buying these guns for use in CMP or other sanctioned competitions that are actually buying them for resale at a profit. That undermines the entire CMP firearm sale program - which Congress can terminate.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't blame this all on the prospective buyers.

The jackholes that intentionally are buying and flipping them should be be banned from CMP participation forever. Some people actually followed the rules but weren't selected by the CMP.

Place the blame where it needs to be, screw this it's the buyers' fault bullsquat.
Not my intention at all, re-read what I said. I'm just saying, sellers need buyers for incentive.

Dimedog

Fanatic
OK, Devils advocate.....
Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do with private property ?
I mean do they still own the pistol after you've paid for it ?
Is there some kind of agreement signed that says you can never sell it?
Not trying to be a smarta$$, .....just sayin...

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Dimedog, I agree with your premise. As far as I'm aware, their only recourse is to ban you from further/future participation in CMP sales programs. And unless they're willing to expend the manpower chasing down names and tying them back to the lottery number and/or serial number shipped, they are really just making an idle threat to cut your future CMP participation.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, Devils advocate.....
Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do with private property ?
I mean do they still own the pistol after you've paid for it ?
Is there some kind of agreement signed that says you can never sell it?
Not trying to be a smarta$$, .....just sayin...

Anyone qualifying for the program agreed to these guidelines BEFORE they bought the guns. Your analogy seems a bit off to me.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
It's the same control issue that infected Milt Sparks. It's not the way an open market works.

Cheers for the resellers.