Closest I've Ever Wanted to Come ...

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
In my house there's a solid wood door with a window that opens to a small laundry room that used to be a screened in porch. There's just a storm door from that room that opens to the backyard.

Early Saturday morning I just got out of the shower and came out to put some pants on. As I came out of the bathroom I noticed the 2 dogs standing at the door in the kitchen with their noses pressed against the door wagging their tails. I pick my gun up off the kitchen table, open the door, and step out onto the laundry room. There about 3-4' away from me was a man staring at me. We basically just stood there and stared at each other for a few seconds before he looked down and saw my gun. (Had it at my side instead of up and pointed where it should have been) When he saw my gun, he turned and ran out of the back door. The dogs ran past me and chased him until he jumped the back fence.

That's the closest I've ever come to shooting someone and it took quite awhile for my hands to stop shaking from the adrenaline rush. Glad that dude turned and ran instead of coming at me, or that would have been a really bad day for both of us...

Vash1023

Active Fanatic
this might sound terrible.....but you should have shot him,​

i say that because now you have to worry if he will come back when your not home. if you have a family, make sure they know where the guns are.​

and make sure you tell all your neighbors asap.​

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, that has run through my head a million times since then. My buddy that's a sheriff's deputy lives across the street and he was amazed I didn't just drop the dude. Even the cop that responded when I called it in was amazed. I was just so shocked to see him standing then it made me freeze up. We had some issues about a month ago where someone walked in the front door while I was sitting here watching TV, but I thought it was just an odd thing because it was late at night on a Friday. Figured a drunk just went to the wrong house trying to get home.

I've certainly made sure my wife knows how to shoot my guns and can handle her PPK.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
this might sound terrible.....but you should have shot him,​

i say that because now you have to worry if he will come back when your not home. if you have a family, make sure they know where the guns are.​

and make sure you tell all your neighbors asap.​

I doubt very seriously he will be back

Vash1023

Active Fanatic
I doubt very seriously he will be back

unfortunetely criminals are not as intelligent as we think.

but now he knows there are guns in the house and can wait till the homeowner is gone and break in to try and steal them.

he also now knows the dogs are friendly and has no need to fear them.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Nobody's asked yet, so I will. Did you have a towel or something on? Are you sure it was your gun that made him run? Maybe you were standing at attention and he had flashbacks of his last stint in prison.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
Scary deal. I am glad it worked out. If you were nude, you should have chased him yelling "Gonna make you sqeel like a pig boy!". He would never come back for sure. lol.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
LMAO! I put on a pair of jeans ... Though I have jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to investigate a strange noise and didn't stop to put anything on. I'll have to remember the Deliverence line for next time. lol

One of my biggest fears is getting caught in the shower, especially if I have to wrestle with someone. I saw a pic on the net awhile back of someone that kept a gun in a ziplock bag inside their shower. I thought it was kind of crazy at first, but now I can see the pure brilliance of it. :)

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no real tips or anything to give, you probably did the best thing possible with just standing there half naked holding a gun. So I'll just share a story with you.

I had something similar happen to me a long time ago; I heard the fellow breaking in late at night and he was coming through the garage side door, then the garage and into the laundry room. I jumped up and went to the phone in the kitchen (I had no cell or bedside phone and the guns were at the opposite end of the house) as I stood there, naked in my kitchen, waiting for the police to answer I saw the flash light coming down the hallway. The guy stopped at the entry to the kitchen closest to me and shined the light at me. All I could do was act like a deer in the headlights. The guy just said "Oh, I'm sorry", and took off back the way he came. Now, I'm only 5'5" and not very initimdating looking to begin with, so he must have been scared by my glorious naked body to have taken off that fast. I nearly dropped the phone as I started chasing him... to this day I have NO CLUE WHY I went into pursuit mode! I ran out of the house into the back yard chasing him around the back of the house through the yard. He went over the 6 foot privacy fence like a gazelle and I was halfway over before I started to feel the cuts from the concrete sidewalk and the splinters digging into my bare feet and realized "Oh yeah, I'm naked". I watched him take off into the field behind my neighbors house and suddenly heard a voice, not in my head, but in my hand. Oh yeah I have a phone call on the line. I gave my report to the dispatcher and spent the next hour so worked up I couldn't sit down, and talking with the police. Before I went back to bed I moved my garage fridge over in front of that damn side door and it sat there until I moved out.

Latest posts