Choosing my first Nighthawk

Which Nighthawk would you get?

• Enforcer (rail, magwell, IOS, ambi safety, blackout option)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm contemplating getting my first Nighthawk.

All will have the IOS system will allow me to mount my homeless RMR or swap to irons if it has a problem.

1) Enforcer

The iconic Government 1911 with many features included. I am thinking of this as my first one. I generally have no trouble concealing a full sized government (I usually carry a Glock 21 or 30), but the longer barrel carried IWB can get annoying after a few hours. It covers all roles and is good for gun games too (not that I do much of those).

2) T4 9mm Commander with rail

It's a slightly easier gun to carry than a Government. I've noticed in the past few years that my Commanders tend to migrate into the 4.25" Criterion. Additionally, I can carry it up front. It looks really cool with the T4 front slide cut and the rail. I chose 9mm since it's a little easier to shoot and I am starting to develop arthritis in my hands. 44 Magnum is not as fun as it once was and neither is 45 ACP in little guns :)

3) Counselor

This would be a pure urban 9mm EDC. I'm actually leaning toward this model for exactly that reason, but my Springfield Armory EMP fulfills the same role.

4) Updating other guns

I have a DW Valor Government in 45, a DW Valor Commander in 9mm and a Springfield EMP. Both DW's are stainless, which I dislike. The Government is currently unreliable. The Commander is fine, but neither have rails. The EMP needs all the MIM parts replaced and trigger work.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd buy an RIA mil spec, and spend the rest on components for ammo. Skill is a better investment than anything Nighthawk offers.
Have you ever owned or shot a Nighthawk?

All will have the IOS system will allow me to mount my homeless RMR or swap to irons if it has a problem.

1) Enforcer

The iconic Government 1911 with many features included. I am thinking of this as my first one. I generally have no trouble concealing a full sized government (I usually carry a Glock 21 or 30), but the longer barrel carried IWB can get annoying after a few hours. It covers all roles and is good for gun games too (not that I do much of those).

It's a slightly easier gun to carry than a Government. I've noticed in the past few years that my Commanders tend to migrate into the 4.25" Criterion. Additionally, I can carry it up front. It looks really cool with the T4 front slide cut and the rail. I chose 9mm since it's a little easier to shoot and I am starting to develop arthritis in my hands. 44 Magnum is not as fun as it once was and neither is 45 ACP in little guns :)

3) Counselor

This would be a pure urban 9mm EDC. I'm actually leaning toward this model for exactly that reason, but my Springfield Armory EMP fulfills the same role.

4) Updating other guns

I have a DW Valor Government in 45, a DW Valor Commander in 9mm and a Springfield EMP. Both DW's are stainless, which I dislike. The Government is currently unreliable. The Commander is fine, but neither have rails. The EMP needs all the MIM parts replaced and trigger work.
The T4 is an excellent gun, but I think the Counselor might be a better choice for carry. It's lighter and built for carry. If you were looking for a full size, I would highly recommend the Thunder Ranch. I just bought the Ranch and it's an amazing gun, extremely accurate and one good lookin gun.

I own several Nighthawks and recently bought a Kimber Raptor since I think it's a fine looking gun. It's been on my list for a few years, and I recently came upon one at a bargain price. However I wasn't happy w/ how it handled or shot. To make a long story short, I sent it to Nighthawk for a new trigger and a complete tuning. It came back a lot better than when it went in, but still not quite a Nighthawk. So IMHO I would not upgrade, but rather buy what you want in the first place. I don't think there's any comparison between a Springfield and a Nighthawk. I realize the Nighthawk is more expensive than the Springfield, but I don't think you'll ever be sorry for buying the Nighthawk, plus you'll probably keep it for many years.

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
The one I would like to have is the Thunder Ranch model. The one that fits me the best. And I am also a fan of Clint Smith. Great American and Veteran.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
The one I would like to have is the Thunder Ranch model. The one that fits me the best. And I am also a fan of Clint Smith. Great American and Veteran.
Ralph- As I said it's an amazing gun. Probably the most accurate is my NHC Chairman w/ its 6" barrel, but aside from that, the Ranch is 2nd most accurate. And everyone who sees the gun has one thing to say- "Wow!". Here's a pic for those not familiar w/ the gun...
gun...NHC Thunder Ranch.png

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'd buy an RIA mil spec, and spend the rest on components for ammo. Skill is a better investment than anything Nighthawk offers.

NH is spendy, but I appreciate a good American made gun. More so after recent events.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, since you brought the subject up, I'll say that after a career as a general contractor, I prefer goods made overseas.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, since you brought the subject up, I'll say that after a career as a general contractor, I prefer goods made overseas.
???? Are you also including goods made in China?

Last edited:

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
"As a general contractor"

That means he was buying cheap parts to install and then getting paid to replace or repair that same cheap part that broke too soon.

Many products are engineered to fail in X time after Y uses. This guarantees a future revenue stream. It's also somewhat unethical since it involves deception based upon past results. For example, you're never going to get a modern washing machine that will last 30 or more years. Yet, even myself who knows companies do this (I did QC on satellite phones), sometimes I still have to check my thoughts and really take a close look at what I'm buying.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't tell anyone what gun to buy. that's a personal choice based on a lot of variables. But do know that I just bought a new Nighthawk Counselor that arrives tomorrow. Then I'll know if that was a good purchase for me. Have a plethora of 4-5" barrels but no 3 1/2.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't tell anyone what gun to buy. that's a personal choice based on a lot of variables. But do know that I just bought a new Nighthawk Counselor that arrives tomorrow. Then I'll know if that was a good purchase for me. Have a plethora of 4-5" barrels but no 3 1/2.

Please post a range report, preferably with some video. I am interested in this gun.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I took it to the Range yesterday. One word-Amazing. Did not shoot any reloads but shot a variety of factory. No misfires or FTF issues of any kind. Handles recoil very well and the 3 1/2" bbl is not an issue. One hole group with 10 rounds at 5 yards, then spread out a bit with five more rounds rapid fire. Not one hole but tight group at 7 and 10 yards then at 15 yards most rounds in the center scoring area, rapid fire. A very tight gun and not the easiest to disassemble and reassemble because of this. A precision build beyond anything I have, including a Cabot, a few Wilsons and a couple of STI's. I like all of these guns (including a few Glocks, really like my Gen 519) but honestly, the Nighthawk Counselor is in a class by itself. Even found some 1911 4" bbl holsters that will work fine with it, IWB and OWB. Will I carry it? Definitely. And when I have called them (twice) immediately got through. Sorry no pictures at this time, but if I get around to it will post some. The Counselor is not the easiest gun to find but they are out there.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear you like the Counselor, although not a surprise. I own 5 1/2 Nighthawks and they all are amazing guns, as you say, in a class by themselves (IMHO). I also own Ed Brown, Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Guncrafter Ind, and hopefully soon, a Cabot. In my experience they don't loosen up as you put more rounds thru them, but they are my favorites. Every time I go to the range, I take 2 or 3 guns, one Nighthawk (I rotate thru them) and a Sig or a Desert Eagle, etc. but at least one Nighthawk.

Congrats, and enjoy the gun...

nicalaex

Well-Known Fanatic

1) Enforcer

3) Counselor

4) Updating other guns

Talon full guide rail, 9mm, Black Nitride

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Sooooooo...I did another "thing" and got an Enforcer Recon...

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
I already have plenty of skill. It's not an issue.
Don't we all....and it disappears pretty quickly unless we actually put lead down range practicing whatever disciplines we are trying to maintain. Dry practice with a $5K pistol is a must as well but Oh! That lead....It often shows us just how much those "plenty of skills" ain't so plentiful at times. Sometimes we need to"check" ourselves, eh?

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't we all....and it disappears pretty quickly unless we actually put lead down range practicing whatever disciplines we are trying to maintain. Dry practice with a $5K pistol is a must as well but Oh! That lead....It often shows us just how much those "plenty of skills" ain't so plentiful at times. Sometimes we need to"check" ourselves, eh?

Yup, that is why I dry fire daily and confirm with scripted 200 round range sessions. Mantis X is a wonderful thing.