Choate Shotgun Caddies. How to Straighten?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay guys how would you go about straightening these? I'm thinking heat gun but maybe epoxy and clamps? I'm trying to not destroy them. I have three of them and they are all like this. :(

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Plastic will eventually creep according to whatever force is applied to it...if you can clamp it up square for a while it'll help, probably won't get it completely straight.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
As designed? They load just fine. But..... I'm going to join them together and make my own load two setup. In order for it to work I need to get the center part as thin as possible. I've even considered taking the side completely out of one of them, but to do that I need them straight. These came out of the box like this too. I think they either pulled them from the mold too hot or they sat in a hot ass trailer in shipping somewhere along the way.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I think if you epoxy them together and use a clamp setup to apply even pressure the entire length, they will straighten themselves up. Maybe a couple paint stir sticks ripped to the correct width and clamped in 3 places with small c clamps? Just an idea.

Something more rigid than paint stir sticks would work better.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Heat the pne on the left, run two strips of wood down inside left of the right and the inside right of the left, then clamp together and wait.....

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Heat the pne on the left, run two strips of wood down inside left of the right and the inside right of the left, then clamp together and wait.....
Actually I was about half thinking of making a block out of wood to fill both of them, clamp them outside to outside, and trying the oven set low.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Nobody can load weak hand worth a crap until they practice.
Dude! Come to Pro-Am tomorrow and I will blow your mind with how bad I am! LOL! Six months of 100 rounds a day, everyday and I might can get under 8 seconds. Maybe. Don't hold your breath on it either.....

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Dude! Come to Pro-Am tomorrow and I will blow your mind with how bad I am! LOL! Six months of 100 rounds a day, everyday and I might can get under 8 seconds. Maybe. Don't hold your breath on it either.....

You ever tried the load two method? You are welcome to use one of my two belts to try it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You ever tried the load two method? You are welcome to use one of my two belts to try it.
If you go tomorrow bring it, I'll try it. That's exactly what I'm trying to bolt these together for. The belt rig/bomber vest thing looks to be great until one has to go prone in 3 gun with ammo in it. I guarantee I can lose shells out of it. But for proam it's probably the shite. I know I can load much faster right now with the load two setup. With a little practice one can be at least somewhat competitive. Just a faster learning curve.

I left some out in the sun and they did that. A heat gun fixed them and they were worse than that.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
As designed? They load just fine. But..... I'm going to join them together and make my own load two setup. In order for it to work I need to get the center part as thin as possible. I've even considered taking the side completely out of one of them, but to do that I need them straight. These came out of the box like this too. I think they either pulled them from the mold too hot or they sat in a hot ass trailer in shipping somewhere along the way.
A few days ago I tried the load two with the caddies just besdie each other. Worked well enough. I don't think you need to necessarily have to take a side out or even join them though joining would keep them together during heavy movement. I would take out the spacers and rivet in two places and put the spacers back in.

I would go with low heat and then tense the plastic back closer to shape. or a pop sickle stick maybe shoved sideways in 2-3 places. Then cool

Latest posts