Checking the waters

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Something that wasn't really of interest to me in the past. I'm building an AR in 10mm auto. Just about finished. Should be shooting it this week sometime. The more I read, the more interested I got. I wanted to build something I didn't have, and 10 was on that list. Will try to use it on whitetail and Coyotes eventually. Pictures coming soon. We'll see what the jury has to say.

dennishoddy

Nice build! Agree on needing a pistol to pair it with.
I need to go the other way. Got the pistol, now need a rifle to accompany it. I'll be interested in seeing the velocities from that rifle if you have a chronograph.
Pretty significant using the same load between my Super RedHawk and the Marlin 336 lever rifle. Both in .44 mag.
The pistol runs a tad over 1300 fps with a 230 grain SST. Rifle speeds were 2000 FPS +/- 20 FPS.

dennishoddy

I forgot to mention the model 44 Ruger .44 mag carbine. It chrono'd at 1900 fps using the same load. Tad slower because of the semi automatic action.
its an interesting interesting firearm, discontinued because of high production costs, but its successor and almost identical in appearance is the Ruger 10-22. Probably one of the most common firearms out there. Below is a pic of the Model 44.

1708133222153.png

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
No chrono, but did get to shoot it today. A bunch different stuff. First mag was reman ball, here's the target. 50 yrd. Not bad for a 75 yr. old with a bad eye. I see no problem using this in deer season. I think it'll get better down the road, only put 70 rds. thru it today. Shot steel plates after this first mag. Fun afternoon!:p
first 50 10mm.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
No chrono, but did get to shoot it today. A bunch different stuff. First mag was reman ball, here's the target. 50 yrd. Not bad for a 75 yr. old with a bad eye. I see no problem using this in deer season. I think it'll get better down the road, only put 70 rds. thru it today. Shot steel plates after this first mag. Fun afternoon!:p
View attachment 35174
Man you can shoot!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
. First mag was reman ball, here's the target. 50 yrd. Not bad for a 75 yr. old with a bad eye.
Not bad at all!
God created Mankind & it was Colt, Browning, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, & many others who created tools to make all men equal.
Aging Old Man GIF by A&E And if your groups open up from time to time, as a senior shooter you can blame it on the Ammo LOL. ;)

fire@will

Fanatic
The Ruger .44 Carbine doesn't seem to be too prolific up here. I've been wanting to get my hands on a nice one for 50 years. Finally picked one up a few months ago, that was/is in really nice shape. Appears to have had very little use. Decided I wasn't fond of the light coloured "furniture", so I stripped it and refinished it, using a special stain that a furniture refinisher made for me - and 10 applications of hand rubbed Teak oil and 4 of Minwax. Also re-did the barrel band and butt plate in gloss black enamel - they had a few light scratches on them.
One other thing I'd like to ask. Do you guys who reload, adjust your powder loads differently, for shorter barrels (pistols/revolver) than longer barrels (carbines) ? I have both, in 10 mm and .44 Rem Mag. Seems to me that you should, but I can't find much mention of it on-line.

Regards - Doug

Attachments

• Ruger .44.JPG
    Ruger .44.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 0

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The Ruger .44 Carbine doesn't seem to be too prolific up here. I've been wanting to get my hands on a nice one for 50 years. Finally picked one up a few months ago, that was/is in really nice shape. Appears to have had very little use. Decided I wasn't fond of the light coloured "furniture", so I stripped it and refinished it, using a special stain that a furniture refinisher made for me - and 10 applications of hand rubbed Teak oil and 4 of Minwax. Also re-did the barrel band and butt plate in gloss black enamel - they had a few light scratches on them.
One other thing I'd like to ask. Do you guys who reload, adjust your powder loads differently, for shorter barrels (pistols/revolver) than longer barrels (carbines) ? I have both, in 10 mm and .44 Rem Mag. Seems to me that you should, but I can't find much mention of it on-line.

Regards - Doug
The stock is beautiful

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
If Ruger brought that 44 back it would be successful I would imagine, 357 magnum as well, i read somewhere when I was looking at the PC9 the 44 is a gas operated rotating bolt, relying on memory here

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic

Regards - Doug
That's a beauty!! If it shoots as good as it looks, I'd say you got a winner!!

Latest posts