challenge accepted

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
now that I am back shooting regularly, I met a few members of a club I joined last year. great guys and amazing shooters( ask Pipewrench). One of the guys started in on me about shooting longer distances AND shooting with the shooting hand only.Most of these guys are bullseye shooters. They shoot one handed anyway. It seems natural to them.

I accept the challenge. It is new and exciting to me. I do shoot one handed (right and left on occasion just to be prepared( SD Mode) anway but I am not very good at it as I do not practice enough

I moved my targets out to 30-50 feet. I still shot 2 handed and did ok with 22lr and 9mm. I need to work with 45 acp after my hand heals some more(just a matter of a couple weeks).

NOW I will increase my single handed(right and left) shooting during each range session and cut down the 2 handed shooting at the same time. I am still limited to about 150 round per session while healing . biggest adjustment is that I am left eye dominant( barely --it is close) so shooting with my strong sid e hand(right) will require moving the arm/hand over as I do with 2 handed shooting. I plan on using the standard stance I have used for years . Not a traditional bullseye stance

I love shooting and this new challenge will really give me something to work on and look forward to in t he years to come. the benefits are endless. It should improve my trigger control.

how many of you folks shoot one handed regularly?

Last edited:

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I rarely shoot one handed. I usually shoot better with my support hand when I do. Certainly not a bad thing to practice. I do like shooting at around 30 feet, usually two handed.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I rarely shoot one handed. I usually shoot better with my support hand when I do. Certainly not a bad thing to practice. I do like shooting at around 30 feet, usually two handed.
of course I prefer to shoot 2 handed. I shoot better that way and 20-30 feet is a good distance. I tend to need stimulation too. or I risk getting bored. so the challenge is perfect and what do I lose by trying?

enjoy your range time Fred...it is ALL good

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear you are out shooting again. It's always good to keep working new skills and striving to improve.

We did some work shooting out to 15yrds weak hand only in the Sentinal Concepts class. My left hand trigger finger feels as if it's being controlled by some one else.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot almost every day. I have outdoor and indoor ranges.(I feel for you guys shooting in the snow).

Don't do much static bullseye shooting.

I typically load 10 mags (either full or with 3 rounds) and blast through the draw and mag changes. (If I am in kalifornistan for work I only load up to 10 rounds so any listeners who can count don't have to bother counting past ten.)

2 center mass, 1 to the head on the draw. 1 hand index shooting or joining the left for two handed on the draw.....On the move.......3 shots, 3 seconds or less to the A zone(s).

I go With the Wild Bill Hickock Plan. Empty my mags every night and start with fresh ammo.

My practice usually lasts about 10 minutes.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear you are out shooting again. It's always good to keep working new skills and striving to improve.

We did some work shooting out to 15yrds weak hand only in the Sentinal Concepts class. My left hand trigger finger feels as if it's being controlled by some one else.
thanks. feels great to be shooting

LOL..maybe you are using MY HAND..LOL

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I shoot almost every day. I have outdoor and indoor ranges.(I feel for you guys shooting in the snow).

Don't do much static bullseye shooting.

I typically load 10 mags (either full or with 3 rounds) and blast through the draw and mag changes. (If I am in kalifornistan for work I only load up to 10 rounds so any listeners who can count don't have to bother counting past ten.)

2 center mass, 1 to the head on the draw. 1 hand index shooting or joining the left for two handed on the draw.....On the move.......3 shots, 3 seconds or less to the A zone(s).

I go With the Wild Bill Hickock Plan. Empty my mags every night and start with fresh ammo.

My practice usually lasts about 10 minutes.
you are a very lucky guy

david_root2000

Fanatic
Been shooting Bullseye for 30 years. My daughter now shoots Bullseye too.

Last summer we were shooting steel bowling pins @ 30 feet. One of the fellas has a bad hand so he was shooting one hand.
My daughter said I will shoot one hand too. She whooped his butt with a 1911 9mm.
I shoot revolver Rapid Fire (5 shots 10 seconds) DA with my right hand. Most folks cock the gun and still get 5 shots off before the target turns. I find it easier to be squeezing while holding the dot on the bull.

So enjoy. I can tell you its not easy with a J frame.

One of the other forums had a December match. They used the 25 yard timed and rapid center and allowed 2 hands. No time limit. I did quite well. Scores were in the real high 90s. No 100s.

David

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear that you are able to be out shooting again. I think you will very much enjoy old school bullseye shooting. I decided last spring to try and teach myself after over forty years of shooting two handed with a minimum of some one hand strong and weak hand shooting for defensive drills and qualifications.

It seems to be a totally different mindset and is really rather calming. I was really terrible and it was almost embarrassing in the beginning and am just now starting to shoot some decent targets.

After my right hand surgery in September I switched to left hand bullseye for a few months while recovering and was surprised to shoot just as well as with my right hand.

Just had surgery on my left hand two weeks ago and have not been able to shoot since but will start with .22 bullseye right handed again next week.

I'll be back shooting defensive drills (run and gun) with IDPA targets and steel again in May but will continue with bullseye shooting as I am very much enjoying it and it is a new and pretty hard challenge.

Attached is my last ten shot target shot at 50' with my .22 bullseye gun. The black is a 3" circle.

For the weak eye dominance, look up a u-tube video with Rob Leatham. I just saw it last week although it is an older one. He says move the head and not the gun as moving the gun changes your shooting stance. Made sense to me although I am strong eye dominant.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Glad to hear that you are able to be out shooting again. I think you will very much enjoy old school bullseye shooting. I decided last spring to try and teach myself after over forty years of shooting two handed with a minimum of some one hand strong and weak hand shooting for defensive drills and qualifications.

It seems to be a totally different mindset and is really rather calming. I was really terrible and it was almost embarrassing in the beginning and am just now starting to shoot some decent targets.

After my right hand surgery in September I switched to left hand bullseye for a few months while recovering and was surprised to shoot just as well as with my right hand.

Just had surgery on my left hand two weeks ago and have not been able to shoot since but will start with .22 bullseye right handed again next week.

I'll be back shooting defensive drills (run and gun) with IDPA targets and steel again in May but will continue with bullseye shooting as I am very much enjoying it and it is a new and pretty hard challenge.

Attached is my last ten shot target shot at 50' with my .22 bullseye gun. The black is a 3" circle.

For the weak eye dominance, look up a u-tube video with Rob Leatham. I just saw it last week although it is an older one. He says move the head and not the gun as moving the gun changes your shooting stance. Made sense to me although I am strong eye dominant.

View attachment 3910

hoping your other surgery heals as fast and as well as the fir st one did . thanks for the well wishes too

I starte d today.. shot 2 handed( a nhc no less in 45 acp) did ok.pulled some shots right..too much trigger finger I am guessing.

shot my WC 9mm(cqb elite) and my buckmark 22 single handed @ 25 feet and did well. most shots were grouped closely in 2" square target boxes. it was fun.

hand is progressing well enough that I am going to abandon the protective glove. only took 6 months ;)

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm hoping to be able to shoot two handed by May but should have two good hands by summer and I have not had that for quite a few years.

During the summer when I'm shooting bullseye and action type shooting I try and go to the range twice a week so that I only do one type of shooting per trip. Bullseye really takes a different frame of mind. Haven't shot much .45 bullseye this winter at least so far and am looking forward to doing so.

Enjoy your bullseye shooting, it is a great challenge and a lot of fun. Bullseye dry firing practice down in my basement helped me a lot and I continue to practice that almost everyday although this last surgery has curtailed that for a bit.

Continued good healing to you.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm hoping to be able to shoot two handed by May but should have two good hands by summer and I have not had that for quite a few years.

During the summer when I'm shooting bullseye and action type shooting I try and go to the range twice a week so that I only do one type of shooting per trip. Bullseye really takes a different frame of mind. Haven't shot much .45 bullseye this winter at least so far and am looking forward to doing so.

Enjoy your bullseye shooting, it is a great challenge and a lot of fun. Bullseye dry firing practice down in my basement helped me a lot and I continue to practice that almost everyday although this last surgery has curtailed that for a bit.

Continued good healing to you.
you too . hope for the best.

sure missed shooting. Glad to be back. Yeah , I know. shooting bullseye is like combining bowling with pool shooting.. a very controlled mind and actions are needed.

I am not shooting true bullseye though. Sure I want to group my shots as a true bullseye shooter would, BUT I am in a face the target (vs true bullseye stance). I feel that shooting one handed will make me focus more on the basics and master them.

sadly, my flinch( that Pipewrench was KIND enough to point out---- repeatedly is back. so I have one mor e obstacle to overcome. all good. it will all serve to make me a better and more accurate( and consistent) shooter

enjoy your range time apipeguy

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
Doc--used to shoot one handed quite a bit years ago. One of the guys (Uncle of my best friend) had been in a car accident in his youth and when the car rolled over his hand was holding onto the roof from the open window!! As a result when shooting at cans, small rocks, cow pies on the berm (built for erosion) we all used one hand to make it fair when he was there.

That being said I was the most successful shooting that way with my 4 inch 686, Model 52 Smith and my Model 41 with the field barrel Smith! Good luck and have fun. The Model 52 is just a awesome target only pistol!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks Dave. I have a model 41. I also picked up a S-W 617(22lr) and a Browning buckmark. I think the buckmark rivals the model 41 for accuracy. i need to look into a model 52. shunned 22lr for years as i thought they were jamomatics....NOT they are fun . Now I have some reliable pistols and rifles in 22lr toplink away when the hands get sore. I plan on shooting 22lr every range session.

so far I have single handed 9mm and 22lr @ 20-25 feet. groups improving AND the protective glove is off---for now anyway. My hand is getting better --thank the lord