Chain Restaurants That Vanished Across America

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic

How many do you remember?

Last edited by a moderator:

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Just chains that have closed in our town.
These were all chains but bathe not nation wide.

Ponderosa
Hardee's
Bonanza (like ponderosa)
Ryan's buffet
Little Italy pizza
L&K (like a Denny's, and my first job as a line cook on afternoons and nights on weekends at 13)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Just chains that have closed in our town.
These were all chains but bathe not nation wide.

Ponderosa
Hardee's
Bonanza (like ponderosa)
Ryan's buffet
Little Italy pizza
L&K (like a Denny's, and my first job as a line cook on afternoons and nights on weekends at 13)
I'm familiar with Ponderosa, Hardee's and Bonanza. I don't know the other three.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Hardee's, Burger Chef, already heard Ponderosa, Fables (fantastic olive burgers) Old Country Buffet, lots of these are local. Steak and Shake(was great at first fantastic food, went downhill rather quickly) Big Boy Dog and suds A&W drive in, Sambos, I'm sure there are more, just can't remember.

Man I do miss those places
Yeah forgot them, we had a burger chef and a steak and shake. The steak and shake actually still opens at random times for a day or two, it's really weird! Wife loves the place but I told her I won't eat at a place that opens randomly for a day or two, you know they're not getting fresh ingredients for that time once every other week!!
Oh and we have a roller drive in that still operates called Woody's drive in (not a chain but a local landmark) but the owner closed it and also randomly opens it for a week at a time when she can get help (cash only buidness)

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah forgot them, we had a burger chef and a steak and shake. The steak and shake actually still opens at random times for a day or two, it's really weird! Wife loves the place but I told her I won't eat at a place that opens randomly for a day or two, you know they're not getting fresh ingredients for that time once every other week!!
Oh and we have a roller drive in that still operates called Woody's drive in (not a chain but a local landmark) but the owner closed it and also randomly opens it for a week at a time when she can get help (cash only buidness)
My local Steak n Shake is a filthy pig sty with horrible service. They went downhill fast.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
It's just me, :p But I would find & kill & maybe cook anything to eat.
Before I ate the toxic swill served at any Fast food dive.
Even grubs are full of protein & vitamins. :eek:

Good riddance to the Fake food industry.
You eat to live, or you eat to sicken & die, our choice.

We have been growing & buying Organic real foods since 73.

https://foodrevolution.org/blog/food-and-health/fast-food-health-risks/

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I always love places that make their own bread.

Raleigh used to have a place called Fat Daddy's...it was owned by the family that ran a local steak house legend called The Angus Barn few miles up the road. The hamburgers were made from the trimmings of the steaks...and they were awesome! Neon lights, the soda was a cup 8oz, and that never changed thru the years. Sadly it's now a Panera Bread in where it was. I miss the bar that was underneath with all the arcade games, pool tables, and foosball. This place was like a FuddRuckers, but better.

RIP Fat Daddys off Glenwood Ave.

1645708906146.png

1645709021158.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I always love places that make their own bread.

Raleigh used to have a place called Fat Daddy's...it was owned by the family that ran a local steak house legend called The Angus Barn few miles up the road. The hamburgers were made from the trimmings of the steaks...and they were awesome! Neon lights, the soda was a cup 8oz, and that never changed thru the years. Sadly it's now a Panera Bread in where it was. I miss the bar that was underneath with all the arcade games, pool tables, and foosball. This place was like a FuddRuckers, but better.

RIP Fat Daddys off Glenwood Ave.

View attachment 24579

View attachment 24580
I love the food in dive bars....some of the best! I never had a problem when I went to one, I'm little and definitely not imposing looking, therefore I just got left alone. Some of those local places can get real rough really quickly.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
How about all the mom and pop places???? Best food ever...or worst food ever depends.

We've been eating here & only here for over 30 years. To people our age it's a trip back in time.
Once a month can't kill me with real home cooking? Can it?

Miss Piggy aka, Susan Thomson is battling liver cancer & may not be the ray of sunshine she was to everyone she met any more.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
How about all the mom and pop places???? Best food ever...or worst food ever depends.
My mom owned a mom n pop place from 1985-1997 and all three daughter in laws worked for her. It was like my brothers and I would date someone and the next day they where working at moms place:)
It was truly good home made food and she was the only place located in the midst of our downtown bar district, lots of drunk! The resident gay bar was directly across the intersection and a five story old folks home was on the opposite side of the main drag.
Did great business from Thursday the Sunday am, she stayed open 24/7 during the weekends then closed after dinner (7-8pm) the rest of the week.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
My mom owned a mom n pop place from 1985-1997 and all three daughter in laws worked for her. It was like my brothers and I would date someone and the next day they where working at moms place:)
It was truly good home made food and she was the only place located in the midst of our downtown bar district, lots of drunk! The resident gay bar was directly across the intersection and a five story old folks home was on the opposite side of the main drag.
Did great business from Thursday the Sunday am, she stayed open 24/7 during the weekends then closed after dinner (7-8pm) the rest of the week.
Wow what a great memory. I've noticed as I grow older family and friends become so much more important. Sounds like your mom n pop was fantastic, just like mine were.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Watching that video brought back a bunch of memories.. many places I'd forgotten. I remember many of the places, even if I didn't eat there, often or ever.
There were many of these places close to where i grew up ( Pontiac, Mi) . I remember A&W Rootbeer stands ( I know 1 still in business )
Red Barn, Hardee's, Ponderosa, Old Country Buffet ( Mom liked to be taken there), Steak & Shake, Burger Chef, The Rocket, all no longer there.
Also gone, but remembered are Dog & Suds, Howard Johnsons, Bonanza, Arthur Treachers, The Sweden House, Chi-Chi's ( liked their margaritas), and I even remember going to a Farrell's. had not remembered it until I saw the video. I did a google serch & there was near where we lived.
Hard to forget those old time costumes employees had to wear. And some outrageous offerings on their menu.. see the 2 guys carrying the stretcher-like device?
Don't remember what it was called ( the pig trough ? ) Humongous bowl of ice cream & toppings.. if I remember correctly, if you ate it all, it was free.

White Castle, McD's, Burker KIng KFC remain.. though I don't eat @ any of them.