CCW in hospitals

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay guys I tried to look it up and think that it is perfectly fine, but my wife asked me to be sure. What is oklahoma's law on CCW in hospitals? My wife is a Nurse and was wondering if it is even legal for her to have her handgun with her while she works.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
It is not prohibited by statute but the hospital can choose (like any business) to post a "no weapons sign" You have to make the decision after that. Your wife, on the other hand is an employee and she might be held to a different standard.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I work at a hospital, and there is a no weapons policy at my facility, which includes knives. Quite frankly, I'd be incredibly surprised if any hospital allowed weapons on premises outside of site security, DOC, and the police. A hospital is a place where people go to get healed, and this view informs the entire operation of every facility, as it also leads to federal dollars paying the bills in a very direct way. And you know how much businesses love their federal dollars.

Our facility has terminated employees with extreme prejudice (i.e., instant termination and dismissal) for violation of the no weapons policy, including CCW license holders. That should set the bar for you, a bit.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Which hospital are you at, if you don't mind me asking? My understanding is her hospital is a private hospital so I am not sure how federal money would come into play.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Seriously tho... Is a f------ sign going to stop some psycho from coming in and shooting up a hospital? Or a college campus? Or a church? Are there going to be security guards at evey single door and down every single hallway ensuring the safety if you and your loved ones and that if a gunman comes in and opens fire they have the proper mindset and skills to stop the threat? Do you and/or your wife have the skills and mindset to defend yourself with lethal force in a situation that calls for it? Who's hands do you want your life in, the crazed cracked out religious extremist gunmans, the obese donut stuffing berretta 92 carrying mustache sporting security guard, or the responsible confident gun owner that has taken classes read books watched DVD training videos that shoots every weekend in high stress competition matches that reward speed and accuracy you? I know my choice. F--- gun buster signs and the f---ers that post them.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Seriously tho... Is a f------ sign going to stop some psycho from coming in and shooting up a hospital? Or a college campus? Or a church? Are there going to be security guards at evey single door and down every single hallway ensuring the safety if you and your loved ones and that if a gunman comes in and opens fire they have the proper mindset and skills to stop the threat? Do you and/or your wife have the skills and mindset to defend yourself with lethal force in a situation that calls for it? Who's hands do you want your life in, the crazed cracked out religious extremist gunmans, the obese donut stuffing berretta 92 carrying mustache sporting security guard, or the responsible confident gun owner that has taken classes read books watched DVD training videos that shoots every weekend in high stress competition matches that reward speed and accuracy you? I know my choice. F--- gun buster signs and the f---ers that post them.
it is not that simple (yes maybe if you are just "visiting"), but if you WORK for someone you don't want to take the chance of getting let go and having that on your "record" (so to speak). It could make it very hard to get another job and hurt you big time financially.. i am not "siding" with the other side, but if you CHOOSE to work for an employer that says no guns and you carry, you are going to get fired.....

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
True benji. It's their own lives that could be a stake. And the blood will be on the employers hands.

I'm being dramatic this morning. Must be some of that wine left over from last night. Lol

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
St johns in Tulsa has signs that say no weapons and will prosecute.
Prosecute? For what?

If you don't leave when told, I can see trespassing and possibly some other charges if you are being a butthead about it. But beyond that I'd really be curious as to what kind of complaint they could file.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Easy there Jeremy. Take a breath. I don't usually get that worked up until at least noon. :)

I call BS on them being able ro prosecute.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
I am not worried usually about visiting and things of such, Like Benjamin said, its more about her losing her job. I know where I work it's prohibited for workers to carry, but its cool for a customer.

elcabob

Fanatic
Our facility has terminated employees with extreme prejudice (i.e., instant termination and dismissal) for violation of the no weapons policy, including CCW license holders. That should set the bar for you, a bit.

The hospital I work for has warned people that, no matter what the law says, they'll terminate you immediately if you even keep a gun in your car.

The point was brought up that the above would be illegal. "Then we'll find something else to fire you for right on the spot."

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Where I work is a public building with no signs on the entrances but my policy states that I'm am not to have a firearm even in my car . The law states that any public place that is not posted is ok for ccp holders to posses a firearm but I thought the state law supersedes a city policy so I suppose it would just be a court issue . It is a little bit of a grey area. I guess the question is , is your life worth your job? IMO I would rather spend a few years fighting in court than dead!