CCW Discussion

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
So.. I am all for Americans being able to carry a firearm wherever, how ever, and whenever they like.

Everytime I talk about this my family gets all up tight and carry on about open carry being so evil. "If a shooter walks in, you'll be the first one they shoot", "what if you're standing in line and somebody grabs your gun and starts shooting, or omg what if a little kid grabs at your gun?!?" "if you need to shoot somebody, call the police". Blah blah blah They mainly ***** about open carry. I'm sick of it.

No matter how hard I try they just keep badgering me. All 4 or 5 or 6 of them. Non stop. I just end up getting pissed off. If they ever get in a situation where they need a gun, I'm going to feel sorry for them.

How do I fix this?

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Concealed carry is such a pain in the dick. Working outside during the summer, carry concealed is difficult. Open carry would, or I would think should, solve a lot of "brandishing" issues. I hate concealed carry.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
How do I fix this?
easy don't talk about it... i am not being sarcastic either, both my family and my in laws pretty much disagree with even owning a gun, so i just don't talk to them about it... there is no point in engaging if it is just going to make people mad.. we just talk about other stuff..

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Tell them that it's a matter where you guys are not going to agree and it needs to be dropped for the sake of peace. Be calm and even tempered when you say this, flying off the handle will not help.

I've cut ties with a few family members because they just wouldn't drop stuff.

It sucks but it's better for both of us.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
So.. I am all for Americans being able to carry a firearm wherever, how ever, and whenever they like.

Everytime I talk about this my family gets all up tight and carry on about open carry being so evil. "If a shooter walks in, you'll be the first one they shoot", "what if you're standing in line and somebody grabs your gun and starts shooting, or omg what if a little kid grabs at your gun?!?" "if you need to shoot somebody, call the police". Blah blah blah They mainly ***** about open carry. I'm sick of it.

No matter how hard I try they just keep badgering me. All 4 or 5 or 6 of them. Non stop. I just end up getting pissed off. If they ever get in a situation where they need a gun, I'm going to feel sorry for them.

How do I fix this?
Wormy... Iknow what your saying. "Casting pearls before swine" may sound a little harsh, but that's what we do a lot of times. Something wll eventually turn the light on if you screwed in the bulb.

Concealed carry is a pain in the dick. I only do it cause it's the law right now.... if it wasn't my guns would be in a ElPaso Threepersons rig a lot more than they are now.

Oh, it's not just your relations either. I have met as many closet anti gunners in OK as I have in other parts of the country. What really bothers me we have a lot of folks who "think they should have one- but that other guy should'nt" mentality. We have other public mis conceptions about "registration", transport and the rest of the common gun issues around here too.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
With my dad and brother, its no issue, as both carry(in Georgia). As to my wifes family, well they all are from Canada, and have been brought up that guns are bad. My wife on the other hand is the black sheep of the family, and came with her own guns and safe. So we don't talk to much to them others!!

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
With my dad and brother, its no issue, as both carry(in Georgia). As to my wifes family, well they all are from Canada, and have been brought up that guns are bad. My wife on the other hand is the black sheep of the family, and came with her own guns and safe. So we don't talk to much to them others!!

My wife is also from Canada (she should finally be here in Oklahoma on March 26... :) ). She was exposed to long guns but never to handguns. Her Charter Arms .38 "Pink Lady" waits for her in my gun safe.

Now comes the sticky part.

I am going to encourage her to apply for an Oklahoma Conceal Carry Permit. Except, the SDA prohibits non-US citizens from having a permit (in violation of the equal protection laws of the US for legal permanent residents). I have a lawyer in mind whom we'll discuss this with. Strangely enough the ACLU fought on behalf of a permanent resident from Britain living in South Dakota. Kentucky changed their law a couple of years ago in a similar case.

My wife's immigration is non-conditional (since we've been married more than two years), which means that exactly five years after she enters the United States she may apply for US citizenship. In the meanwhile, the state of Oklahoma, with it's restrictive, anti-US Constitution/BoR gun laws doesn't believe a LEGAL permanent U.S. resident should be allowed to protect her/himself equally outside of the home during the five years required to apply for US citizenship. I'm hoping that she and I will be able to change this discriminatory law (which is a continued extension of the Jim Crow gun laws). Being that she's a paralegal she may enjoy this. :D

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
My wife is also from Canada (she should finally be here in Oklahoma on March 26... :) ). She was exposed to long guns but never to handguns. Her Charter Arms .38 "Pink Lady" waits for her in my gun safe.

Now comes the sticky part.

I am going to encourage her to apply for an Oklahoma Conceal Carry Permit. Except, the SDA prohibits non-US citizens from having a permit (in violation of the equal protection laws of the US for legal permanent residents). I have a lawyer in mind whom we'll discuss this with. Strangely enough the ACLU fought on behalf of a permanent resident from Britain living in South Dakota. Kentucky changed their law a couple of years ago in a similar case.

My wife's immigration is non-conditional (since we've been married more than two years), which means that exactly five years after she enters the United States she may apply for US citizenship. In the meanwhile, the state of Oklahoma, with it's restrictive, anti-US Constitution/BoR gun laws doesn't believe a LEGAL permanent U.S. resident should be allowed to protect her/himself equally outside of the home during the five years required to apply for US citizenship. I'm hoping that she and I will be able to change this discriminatory law (which is a continued extension of the Jim Crow gun laws). Being that she's a paralegal she may enjoy this. :D

The Jim Crow BS has hurt a lot of people over the years and continues to endanger others, as evidenced by your case. I have a resident-alien professional colleague who is from Canada and he faced the same issue. That's where Utah comes in, at least for now. From what I understand (and Repete may wish to contribute here) the new home-state-license requirement they're trying to pass will not affect grandfathered licensees until the time comes for them to renew (which is five years after licensure ;) ) What that means is that your wife can get her Utah license and in five years when it's time for her to renew it she should have her citizenship squared away or at least be pretty close to it.

What aggravates me more than the blissfully ignorant sheep who poopoo open carry are the presumably 'educated' members of the gun culture who get in line to join them. "Good fer me ain't good fer them!" Tools.

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
The Jim Crow BS has hurt a lot of people over the years and continues to endanger others, as evidenced by your case. I have a resident-alien professional colleague who is from Canada and he faced the same issue. That's where Utah comes in, at least for now. From what I understand (and Repete may wish to contribute here) the new home-state-license requirement they're trying to pass will not affect grandfathered licensees until the time comes for them to renew (which is five years after licensure ;) ) What that means is that your wife can get her Utah license and in five years when it's time for her to renew it she should have her citizenship squared away or at least be pretty close to it.

What aggravates me more than the blissfully ignorant sheep who poopoo open carry are the presumably 'educated' members of the gun culture who get in line to join them. "Good fer me ain't good fer them!" Tools.

We may go the Utah route before that avenue is closed. But... the Oklahoma law must be changed regardless as it is WRONG and discriminatory and not in line with the Constitutional protections of legal resident aliens. As much as I love Oklahoma (been living here since 1980), it's laws are backasswards in far too many ways.

As for Open Carry, any gun owner who opposes it is an idiot and short sighted. Whether they choose to OC is not the issue. What is at stake is that We the People continue to take back our rights. Those who support OC as an extension of CC are in my opinion elitists as well, requiring that poor, less well off Oklahomans pay out money they may not have in order to protect themselves. As far as I'm concerned, the ability to defend oneself is a human right. A poor person is hard pressed just to buy a decent firearm and ammo to exercise this human right let alone pay $60 for the CC course plus whatever fees the sheriff and OSBI requires for fingerprinting and the permit itself which pushes the cost to nearly two Benjamins.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
We may go the Utah route before that avenue is closed. But... the Oklahoma law must be changed regardless as it is WRONG and discriminatory and not in line with the Constitutional protections of legal resident aliens. As much as I love Oklahoma (been living here since 1980), it's laws are backasswards in far too many ways.

As for Open Carry, any gun owner who opposes it is an idiot and short sighted. Whether they choose to OC is not the issue. What is at stake is that We the People continue to take back our rights. Those who support OC as an extension of CC are in my opinion elitists as well, requiring that poor, less well off Oklahomans pay out money they may not have in order to protect themselves. As far as I'm concerned, the ability to defend oneself is a human right. A poor person is hard pressed just to buy a decent firearm and ammo to exercise this human right let alone pay $60 for the CC course plus whatever fees the sheriff and OSBI requires for fingerprinting and the permit itself which pushes the cost to nearly two Benjamins.

I agree, it sucks. My wife still hasn't gone through with getting herself naturalized. She still maintains her legal resident alien status, we are working on the other as she has no desire to remain a Kanuck. I look at the open carry like this, it stops the brandishing BS. This is one hell of a windy state, shirts blow up, jackets blow open, or you bend or stoop the wrong way, and presto your guns in full view for that one idiot to call 911. I want open carry for just that, I'll still carry concealed most of the time, but I don't have to worry over a 911 call of "a man with a gun".

Oldtimer

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm to damn old for my family to try and tell me what to carry or how. I normally don't tell folks that I am even carrying unless I am staying at their house and they have kids. I do agree that it's harder in the summer to keep concealed.
I wouldn't mind OC if folks were to get some sorta of training or was certified that they new how to use a weapon safely. Something like hunters safety to include handguns. I see way to many folks at Cabela's and Bass Pro holding guns that want one but are very timid while holding it.
My son is a LEO in NE and I'm not sure what his feelings are on OC. Might make it easier for him to know what the little gang banger's are carrying if he had OC. Because you know all of them would want to showoff their stuff.
Just my 2 pennies