CC Mag Holders

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
Normal carry is G19 and a leather snap on mag holder. Tried a double mag holder and did not like it.

How do you carry an extra mag and what do you use?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
In the spirit of honesty and reporting what we ACTUALLY do instead of what we SAY we do:

I carry one (1) extra magazine in my back pocket

I know its not tacti-cool or anything but kind of like the rule of having a gun; I would rather have an extra mag in my pocket than in my range bag at home when I really need one.

PS: Unless I am carrying my J-Frame, then its one (1) speed strip in my right back pocket

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Crossbreed used to make a IWB mag holder like their holster. They stopped for a year or more but I recently saw they were back on their site. You can either get single or double.

During the winter I put one in my coat pocket. During warm weather I dont carry one. Unless going to OKC then I'll put it in a pocket somehow somewhere.

dennishoddy

I carry a mouse gun .380 keltec. The desantis front pocket holster had a built in spare mag pouch. If carrying something bigger, I'm like the rest. One mag in a rear pocket.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Uncle Mike's kydex double carrier a la paddle-back. It's not comfortable but it is comforting.

I will probably be going to Raven's stuff very soon.

Rick417

www.performanceholsters.com
99% of the time I carry a spare mag on my belt. The other 1% of the time, I carry it in my back pocket in a pocket mag pouch.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Spare mag in one of my holders on my belt. Always. Never anywhere else. Never.

Here's the part where I plead with you guys, and I'll explain why (two parts):

If you carry your spare in your pocket, please TRAIN with it there. ALOT.

For years at the Academy we taught that when doing a reload with retention (tactical reload as we use to call it), that the retained magazine should be placed into a pocket because "mag pouches are only for full magazines". Then Force on Force training came along. I've noticed time and time again when conducting FOF training (Simunition training) that officers will not go to the pocket when trying to retrieve a mag. They go straight for their mag pouches. When in off-duty gear, they go to the area where their magazines would be located in their duty gear. What does this mean? It means when you need ammo, cuz someone is shooting at you, you will not go for a pocket. Unless you have predominately trained for that pocket reload. Now we have our guys place mags back into the pouches. Under stress you will perform at your highest level of training. What FOF proves is that what you say you will do and what you really are gonna do, often are not the same thing.

That's reason 1. Here's tragic reason 2. True story. Police Officer goes to 7-11 for his free Big Gulp. Purchases a Snickers bar as well (see where this is going?). As he is walking to his scout car, his radio goes off. It's an armed robbery in progress two blocks away. So he's got his hands full of calories and he has to dig his keys out of his pocket. He looks at Big Gulp and says in his head "FREE" so he chunks it. His Snickers bar goes into his pocket (cuz he paid for it!). Gets to scene of armed robbery and gets into gunfight. Makes a reload behind his car. Stuffs mag into pocket. Needs that mag again so he reaches into his pocket. Funny how a Snickers bar is about the same size as a Glock mag. Inserts candy bar into mag well and racks slide. Fills his pistol full of chocolaty peanuty noguty yumminess. And gets killed.

Lesson learned. If you use a pocket as a mag pouch, its now a mag pouch. Don't use it as a pocket anymore.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I carry in my back pocket too
That's the minimum
I make ready and load from that back pocket at matches... And reload from my belt
In the winter I'd be wearing the same gear

If you run set up for your clothes you really need to mentally prepare for the differences
Moving a pocketknife or inkpen will get you double- clutching when it changes pockets.. But it won't get you killed

DutchWrangler

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I was doing this without thought as I've never carried anything in my left back pocket except mags. Everything else; keys, change, wallet... each have there respective pockets. Definitely haven't ever put a snickers in a pocket so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

TroyF

TheBearcat
I've seen Chapstick loaded into shotgun magazine tubnes, and cell phones (placed too closely to mags on the nelt) damn near inserted into pistols. Jeff's right, use some common sense. Please.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Col. Grossman and Mass Ayoob talk about this, as well, Troy. They talk about how in the revolver days cops would put their empties into their pockets to save time on the police call of the range at the end of the day. That bit of mechanics got programmed into their brains and there ended up being a lot of dead cops found with a partially loaded gun lying nearby and five or six empties in their pockets. That final reload just took too long. We are what we eat, so to speak, and if you're putting garbage in you're gonna get garbage out when it counts.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry one reload on my belt, in a KyTac single mag holder. Unlike most others, it is compact, both in height and width. Again, unlike most others, it is comfortable to wear. Tension adjustability allows me to set the tension where _I_ want it.

On the belt is where I go for a reload ALL the time. Trying to put it in my pocket won't work very well for me. If you do carry yours in a pocket, then I suggest getting a pocket mag pouch to keep the lint, grit, etc, out of the mag. A good one also orients it correctly so you can get a consistent hold on it. Maybe you should shoot a few matches retrieving the mag from your pocket to keep up that skill.

I don't think I'll get into an extended firefight, but if I have a major jam, it might be quicker to reload the gun than to diagnose and fix the jam.

I'm not a big believer in "tactical reloads," as no one can produce a single time (not counting military) where the retained ammo was used later in that same firefight. I once asked Walt Rauch, one of the Founding members of IDPA if it had ever happened.......he thought for a moment and said, "Maybe!"

I am a big believer in Jeff Cooper's dictum: "It's poor form to go home with a partially loaded gun."

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
I have carried spare mag in pants or coat pocket but not comfortable with it there. Am more curious what mag holders you guys use.

I use one of these: http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/single-pistol-magazine-carriers-p23 It is convenient but I don't like the way it snaps on at the top. and have used one of these:

http://www.taguagunleather.com/new/double-pistol-magazine-carriers-p24 but the double is very stiff.

Sometimes carry a J frame but would rather not because I've not trained for reloads with it. What speed strips and where do you get tthem?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
What speed strips and where do you get tthem?

Bianchi is the most common. H&H sells them for less than $10 for a pair

P7300002.jpg

keyser328

Fanatic
Admittedly, I'm hit and miss as to whether or not I have a second mag on me. That is something I'm trying to remedy, but I've yet to find a discrete way to carry one on my belt and not have it actually look like a magazine. Typically when I grab my mag, it goes in my front left pocket, since it is very close to my typical spot for mags, and I can pull it pretty fast.

I typically wear the 5.11 covert tactical pants, which have secondary pockets with pouches for mags, and I've used those too, but they're not the "quickest" for mag changes. I'd like a nice OWB leather style mag pouch that is easy to get into, but again, I don't want it to point out the actual purpose of the carrier.

I've also been dropping some pounds, so I have the pant room to make a hybrid IWB pouch that would help balance out the gun's weight on the other side, as well as be fairly comfortable. I've considered that option as well, but haven't gotten around to making one. It turns out mag carriers are harder to make than holsters. Truth be told, I wear my homemade MTAC/Crossbreed style hybrid holster pretty much all the time, gun in or not (i.e. at the office) just because it makes my pants fit better.