cast bullets

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i know clicker does some casting, right? anyone else that casts too.

im just wondering how many, say 230 gr 45s would you get from 50 or 100 lbs, of ingots? you name the lbs you have experience with.

how about 9mm and 40 cal?

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
1500+ per pound of lead? Holy cow I need to start stealing wheel weights at the mall (just kidding).

Biganimal, do you shoot anything at higher velocity with cast bullets? I know you make your own jacketed stuff. I'm thinking just plain lead with a gas check, but I'd like to shoot them in 8mm at about 2500fps or so...

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi RotaryMike

the 1522 230 grain bullets that Big Animal calculated is for 50 pounds of lead, there are about 30 bullets per pound.

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
1500+ per pound of lead? Holy cow I need to start stealing wheel weights at the mall (just kidding).

Biganimal, do you shoot anything at higher velocity with cast bullets? I know you make your own jacketed stuff. I'm thinking just plain lead with a gas check, but I'd like to shoot them in 8mm at about 2500fps or so...

Mike
I load my 8x57 with a 180gr gas checked cast bullet on top of 17 grs of 2400
I think they are running about 1600-1800 fps but not sure. All I know is they get there quick and no noticable leading in the barrel

Tom

Active Fanatic
I am just getting into casting and came by about 125 pounds of chimney flashing. I am casting all this stuff into ingots first, then 'biganimal' is going to instruct me on casting the bullets. I got a Lee double cavity 230 gn round nose mold. I like shooting those the best. Can't wait to shoot my first home-made bullets. I think there is some extremely satifying about shooting my own reloads and now I will able to shoot my own bullets. Now if I could just make my own powder, cases and primers, life would be complete.

Latest posts