Case activated 650 priming system

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
So I had a dream about a solution to a problem I don't have but read about often.

People always complain about the primer shoot and how the 650 delivers a primer no matter if there is a case or not.

So in envisioned a stamped part the would go between the station 2 locator tab bushing and hold down bolt. Shaped so as a case moved from station 1 to station 2, it would push the primer indexing arm with a tab bent down on the end. No case, no indexing. You would also need to remove the ramp from the frame as well.

Unlike a lot of my "asleep" ideas this one could actually work but likely with a replacement bushing/screw and a little bit different shape.

IMG_20151214_080124_690-1_zpslgvyvito.jpg

The idea was more than likely spawned by my recent fiddling with a Lee Loadmaster.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I think it would work. Until you did a caliber change. Then case diameter would be a issue with indexing primers to proper area. To me the primer feed is a non issue. I don't typically run my machine in a single case operation. Unless I'm checking something or setting up a new tool head in which case you can just pull up a little on the indexing arm and it will not grab the primer wheel to index a primer. Good thinking though.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Isnt the primer disk advanced on the upstroke of the press? That bar makes contact with the ramp on the bar on the side of the press and rotates the primer feed disk whether there is a case in there or not.

Now if a case is not loaded into the shell holder at that particular station, the unused primer drops down the chute and sometimes keeps going to the floor.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Isnt the primer disk advanced on the upstroke of the press? That bar makes contact with the ramp on the bar on the side of the press and rotates the primer feed disk whether there is a case in there or not.

Now if a case is not loaded into the shell holder at that particular station, the unused primer drops down the chute and sometimes keeps going to the floor.
yes, that's the point of his post.
His new lever would be used instead of the ramp on the side of the press(remove the plastic ramp from the press).
The lever is actuated by a case advancing into station 2 requiring a primer.

Latest posts