Carrying in a Liquor Store

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I used to (unknowingly) assume that you couldn't carry in a liquor store. After reading the SDA, the only preclusion for carrying around liquor is in an establishment where it is CONSUMED

CARRYING FIREARMS WHERE LIQUOR IS CONSUMED
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess any weapon designated in Section 1272 of this title in any establishment where low-point beer, as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, or alcoholic beverages, as defined by Section 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, are consumed. This provision shall not apply to a peace officer, as defined in Section 99 of this title, or to private investigators with a firearms authorization when acting in the scope and course of employment, and shall not apply to an owner or proprietor of the establishment having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun on the premises. Provided however, a person possessing a valid concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title may carry the concealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business.
Provided further, nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any peace officer in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, except in the authorized line of duty as an undercover officer.
Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to authorize any private investigator with a firearms authorization in actual physical possession of a weapon to consume low-point beer or alcoholic beverages in any establishment where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are consumed.
B. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1272.2 of this title.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I seem to remember that the lawyer from my SDA class said that you couldn't carry into any establishment where liquor is sold.

The following seems to back that up, in that sales at a liquor store constitute 100% of its business, and therefore its primary purpose.

"Provided however, a person possessing a valid concealed handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et seq. of this title may carry the concealed handgun into any restaurant or other establishment licensed to dispense low-point beer or alcoholic beverages where the sale of low-point beer or alcoholic beverages does not constitute the primary purpose of the business."

cooljeff

Fanatic
I believe it talks about not being able to carry in establishments that alcohol is more than 50% of the business. Is that correct?

I have always carried into places such as chilis, olive garden, ect where alcohol is served but is not the primary part of the business.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
I'm going to have to agree with Burk on this one. Consume and dispensel are the operators that give it away for me.

landshark069

Active Fanatic
I bet that cop that got beat up at the Quail Springs restaurant wished there had been LOTS of people carrying in there ! I know I would have been. I figure if I will ever really need a gun, it will be in a place serving alcohol. I also think that if I am carrying CONCEALED, who's gonna know ?

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a big fan of ccw but just remember you have to be ready to face the consequences of the outcome . Even if you do save a life or your own you may still be breaking the law and you may be prosecuted for it. Risk vs Reward!