Carrying handgun to and from vehicle (no CWP)

XD45

New Fanatic
I have searched several times for an answer to this question and have yet to come across a real answer. This is my first post here, so if this question has been asked and answered I apologize.

I have a legally-owned handgun and am a South Carolina resident. I live in an apartment complex. I know that I can legally keep my handgun in my unlocked, closed glove compartment. My question is how to legally get the gun into the glove compartment. How can I walk from my front door to my truck or vice versa while 1. obeying the law, and 2. not alerting anybody to the fact that I am carrying a gun? Also, if I am visiting someone who has expressly given me permission to take my gun onto their property, and I park my truck on their property, how can I transport my gun from my truck to their front door while satisfying the previous two conditions? I do not wish to make it known that I have a gun, so carrying the gun in the box it came in is out of the question. I am planning to get my CWP, but I have not yet had the chance to do so. I know that the best answer is to get my CWP, and I will when I can, but for the time being I need to know how I can take my gun with me without breaking the law. I have tried reading the text of the S.C. gun laws themselves, but this did not give me any clarification on the issue.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Carying handgun to and from vehicle (no CWP)

I'm no lawyer and I didn't even stay at a holiday express last night but if I were in your shoes I would get a good holster to keep it in and drop in something like a backpack to carry it from your door step to your car. If in that short distance you encounter a police officer don't give him a reason or permission to search your bag. Once you park your vehicle on your friends property you are good to go. You do not have be within the confines of his residence. I can walk from my door to the mailbox and open carry if I want to.

It seems like most reasonable people would understand walking across an apartment complex parking lot to your vehicle is the only way you can get it there to legally carry it with you but we have all had those encounters with zealous or rookie cops that just want to make an arrest. Maybe if you carried the loaded magazine out first and then carried the unloaded weapon second and loaded it once you got into your vehicle that would be a safer way to do it.

TheGriff

Well-Known Fanatic

TheSwampFox said:
I can walk from my door to the mailbox and open carry if I want to.

Just a side note for those that aren't familiar, I've heard that if your mailbox is across the street (like mine is) then open carry is not allowed.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic

SLED State gun laws section 16-23-20 part 8 says a person in his home or on his real property or on the property of another person in legal control of said property and section 15) person transferring a weapon from a vehicle to a place you can legally have the weapon (home, range etc).

You can legally conceal it. Think about all the people going to the range without a CWP. You don't see their guns. They're concealed.

XD45

New Fanatic

Thanks for the responses everyone. Is there a difference between having it concealed in something, like a box or bag of some sort, and having it concealed on my person?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
The law doesn't get that specific. It's still accessible to you, even in a bag (IE, a lady carrying a pistol in her purse rather than in a holster). Although, I personally wouldn't wear it in a concealed holster without a permit outside my own property, even if I was heading from the car to the range or into a friend's house. That's just me, though.

Latest posts