Carrygun/Tactical Action Match November 4th

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you guys have any tips or suggestions for a guy who hopes to make this his first match??
From a relatively new match shooter, I would say:
bring a holster that covers the trigger guard of your pistol.
Have fun.
Listen to the pre-match new shooters orientation.
Have fun.
Ask questions,
Have fun.
Bring enough ammo.
Have fun.
Be Safe.
Did I mention Have fun?

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i think jeff covered it... don't worry about it, everything will be fine... if you really want to "practice", i would pick a "target" on the wall and practice shooting it a couple of times and then moving to a new spot and shooting again (obviously dry fire), while working on not breaking the 180, but more so focusing on getting your trigger finger out when moving (that is what most people have trouble with)....

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Sure!

Bring at least 3 magazines, two mag pouches, a safe holster (see Post #1) 100+ rounds, a safety-first mindset and be prepared to have a good time with friendly, like minded folks.

Commander Keen

Active Fanatic
i think jeff covered it... don't worry about it, everything will be fine... if you really want to "practice", i would pick a "target" on the wall and practice shooting it a couple of times and then moving to a new spot and shooting again (obviously dry fire), while working on not breaking the 180, but more so focusing on getting your trigger finger out when moving (that is what most people have trouble with)....

Please forgive the noob question, but what does "break the 180" mean? Don't aim at the people behind me?

And does anyone have tips on how to place my feet? Or maybe I need to find some YouTube videos that show footwork.

45recoil

likes to party
Please forgive the noob question, but what does "break the 180" mean? Don't aim at the people behind me?

And does anyone have tips on how to place my feet? Or maybe I need to find some YouTube videos that show footwork.
lift your arms straight out to the side and imagine an infinite line, basicly if your gun breaks that line during a course you will get DQd. Whenever there is a walk through explaining the stage, look for those 180 traps. Usually if you start further.downrange and have to move backwards to get to targets, or targets at your immediate left/right...oh and especially moving left to right. Just always keep muzzle downrange and you'll be fine.

As for footwork, a good shoulder width, knees slightly bent works for me so far. But there's always tips to be found on youtube.

Commander Keen

Active Fanatic
I think I have a decent stance/form, but what about things to do/not do with my feet while moving? I haven't been able to take a training class that covered shooting on the move yet.

Thanks for all the replies here, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking for some videos after work.

Calishooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I have a decent stance/form, but what about things to do/not do with my feet while moving? I haven't been able to take a training class that covered shooting on the move yet.

Thanks for all the replies here, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking for some videos after work.

There will be designated shooting boxes or lines where you can shoot from, as far as moving from one box to another, I'd recommend that you move at your own pace, you can walk or run depending on your ability, you will not shoot while running to walking until you get to the box

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Forget about footwork and where your feet go. They'll take care of themselves.

And, yeah, there just might be a little "shootin' on the move" this time. Just saying'.........

Now, don't let that scare you! We've NEVER had a problem with it, so don't waste time worrying about it.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank

in the promotion of public safety... pay attention at the new shooter safety meeting (pre match)... and let your RO (squad mom) let you shoot at the end of the squad. That makes it a lot easier to figure out what to do (or not do) ... watching 10 shooters to see how they handle things is the best teacher.

In my opinion... the biggest hazard to a new shooter is the part after "load and make ready"... and working from a holster on a hot draw. If you don't have a lot of experience slow down... work out the steps and pay attention to where the trigger finger is. Above all... slow down a little.... you won't win so you may as well learn some things about some stuff you may have missed if you have not had a lot of post CCW class training

Commander Keen

Active Fanatic
I certainly don't want to get fancy with things seeing as how this is (hopefully) my first match, though I'm not exactly new to shooting/ccw.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate it!

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Another fun match. Always enjoy the stages with shooting on the move :)

ToolBox

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a great time. Been way to long since i shot this match.
David brought back the color targets, we shot kneeling, laying and on the move.
Thank you David for keeping interesting.
will do this again and again.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
This was a fun match to shoot, if I say so myself. We had walls, option targets, various shooting positions, charging/retreating targets, shooting on the move, shooting while backing up, long(ish) shots, hard cover targets that made you pay attention to your front sight and more!

If you missed it, we will do an interesting variation of it on November 18th.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Fun Match!
Stupid boards!
Stage 4 was a Great stage... Except for the stupid boards. I shot clean except i stepped on one of the stupid boards.

Fun match!
Thanks David for designing and running it, Thanks Benjamin for doing the scores.
Great group of people, I always learn something at these matches.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
This was a fun match. Higher round count, lots of poppers (like), no low light, had a great time.
Thanks to Benjamin and David, and of course to Heartland.
Look forward to more like this.