Carry on.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Some folks say they don't carry on a regular basis due to the weight of the gun, concern with being "discovered" or just don't want to bother.

Provided its legal (got your CCW?) carry tomorrow. If all goes well (it will) carry again the next day. Rinse and repeat.

Given a little time, leaving the house without your carry gun will feel the same as leaving your wallet on the nightstand, your cellphone on the kitchen counter or your wristwatch in the drawer. It will be uncomfortable to not carry.

This worked for me (many years ago) and for several friends that for a long time did not carry on a regular basis.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
I envy those of you who work in a place that even let's you keep your carry in your car.

dennishoddy

Joe Frechette said:
I envy those of you who work in a place that even let's you keep your carry in your car.
It was pretty cool. I worked in a power plant with a lot of security. Somebody asked one of them once about what were they going to do with the pop guns on their hips if a real terrorist attack developed. One said he was heading for the parking lot where the real firepower was located........
We had a machinist that built gun parts on company machines during lunch and breaks. Management was fine with it.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Matt Rigsby said:
Oklahoma law says your company can't ban weapons in your car last I heard.
Correct, that is the law in Ok. Not sure about where Joe's from but if it were me, I'd check into it.

dennishoddy

Matt Rigsby said:
Oklahoma law says your company can't ban weapons in your car last I heard.
That's correct if the parking lot is open to public access.
You don't want to be caught with a gun in your vehicle at the Refinery in Ponca City (one of the litigants in the original suit challenging the law along with

Weyerhaeuser lumber)
. You have to pass a security gate that denies public access.
Our power plant had a Co-generation steam turbine on their facility to used their excess steam to generate electricity. I did hundreds of call outs in the middle of the night to that facility over 16 years to work on the turbine controls.
Lets just say that security in most of these places is severely lacking if someone was intent on doing harm.
They try to do a good job, but they think they are protecting against an urban college kid that wants to protest big oil vs a dedicated terrorist.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
MN says the same thing as OK. The company gets around it by having a small lot outside of the main gate for people to park in if they have their carry. Surprisingly not many people take them up on that...

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Technically our company policy allows for your firearm to be in your vehicle in the parking lot.

HOWEVER, you have to keep it unloaded, locked (trigger lock or equivalent), with ammunition kept separate and locked, and you have to disclose to the on site security your vehicle description and tag number.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
dennishoddy said:
That's correct if the parking lot is open to public access.
When I taught at a High School in OKC, the written rule was no firearms on school property. The parking lot was school property. To be compliant, I parked on the street. Interestingly parking on the street meant my car and pistol were now closer to the actual campus; just a step off the curb. I never outright asked about the rule, as I did not want to bring attention to myself.

The parking lot was supposedly closed to public access. It had a gate, but it was usually open.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
Dux-R-Us said:
When I taught at a High School in OKC, the written rule was no firearms on school property. The parking lot was school property. To be compliant, I parked on the street. Interestingly parking on the street meant my car and pistol were now closer to the actual campus; just a step off the curb. I never outright asked about the rule, as I did not want to bring attention to myself.

The parking lot was supposedly closed to public access. It had a gate, but it was usually open.
If you have conceal carry:
Pursuant to TITLE 21 § 1280.1 C 6
“A handgun carried in a motor vehicle pursuant to a valid handgun license authorized by the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act onto property set aside by a public or private elementary or secondary school for the use or parking of any vehicle; provided, however, said handgun shall be stored and hidden from view in a locked motor vehicle when the motor vehicle is left unattended on school property; and”

BUT do not let students or anyone else go to your car to get something or help you carry things in/out without you standing & watching.

oljames3

Fanatic
I am a bad guesser. Never won the lottery (yet). Can't guess when the evil threat will present. So I carry always; except when wet or horizontal. :wink:

Latest posts