Carry Gun Match - Heartland Outdoors 3-4-12

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Fun match, maybe Burk will bring his 26 out next match if he ain't too scared. David E. made me a nice appendix carry holster for it, I was a little slow digging it out from under my shirt as well as my reloads but after all, it is the carry gun match. I still think those shooters running their competition or open carry rigs at this match are missing out on valuable real world practice. Any shooting is good shooting, but I discover things at this match with my carry guns that I'd sure hate to find out in the middle of an armed robbery in the Walmart parking lot.

Joel Clouse

El Conquistador
This even supersedes the firearm manipulation training u get at matches. If your carry gun doesn't work u might as well carry a purse.

HEY! That's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on it. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
had a great time at my first shoot. everyone there was extremely friendly which makes these matches even more fun. special thanks to LB, Kirk Smith and Tony Wall for making a guy feel right at home. i can tell you its is really helpful for a first timer to have some vets there that are friendly and willing to help and offer advice. I may have finished next to last in my division and near the bottom overall but i got my feet wet and kept my underwear dry, which is real feat considering the nerves i was feeling stepping up to shoot my first stage.

thanks guys and thanks to heartland for putting on such a well run match. I'm hooked!

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
had a great time at my first shoot. everyone there was extremely friendly which makes these matches even more fun. special thanks to LB, Kirk Smith and Tony Wall for making a guy feel right at home. i can tell you its is really helpful for a first timer to have some vets there that are friendly and willing to help and offer advice. I may have finished next to last in my division and near the bottom overall but i got my feet wet and kept my underwear dry, which is real feat considering the nerves i was feeling stepping up to shoot my first stage.

thanks guys and thanks to heartland for putting on such a well run match. I'm hooked!

if you made it through the match without getting DQ'd it was a great first match!!

TRick333

Well-Known Fanatic
As usual had a great time. I think I finally shot my first clean stage. Anyone want to show me how to shoot follow up shots more effectively?

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
As usual had a great time. I think I finally shot my first clean stage. Anyone want to show me how to shoot follow up shots more effectively?
watch the front sight rise, then shoot the second shot as it comes back down on target. A lot of people shoot 2 shots like they are one, they're not. I saw several throw their second shot off target last night when the first shot was in the A zone.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the shoot last night! It was a blast! Also thanks for letting me and the wife shoot even though we were way behind. I can tell that not getting enough sleep really plays into how bad my performance can be. I also got a quick reminder how terrible a white front sight is....I'll never be without my orange fingernail polish again.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
if you made it through the match without getting DQ'd it was a great first match!!

completely agree. my first time out, shooting was pretty much secondary. going slow, learning the ropes and being safe were the things i was primarily focusing on.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

Great to hear! Next time bring a few buddies with you.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Shane I'm a long way from a vet! I haven't been doing this a year yet. Glad you enjoyed the shoot and anytime I can help out feel free to ask away! having a good time is what it's all about anyway. Later,

Kirk

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Shane I'm a long way from a vet! I haven't been doing this a year yet. Glad you enjoyed the shoot and anytime I can help out feel free to ask away! having a good time is what it's all about anyway. Later,

Kirk

damn! less than a year and you took first place in high cap? whew! i've got my work cut out for me!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Dude a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again ;) I've been shooting for awhile just started the matches around town end of last year so no worries. Truth I'd rather be laying on the ground ranging an unknown target and dropping one in BUT the run and gun is good cardio and you get to BS a whole lot more LOL

Welcome to the addiction and you think this is bad just wait til you shoot your first 3 gun! Later,

Kirk

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
That's it, I'm bringing my EMP out next time. All be prepared to be whupped by a subcompact gun!

Outstanding! Maybe Burk will bring his 26 and that other guy with the fancy sub compact trophy will take the night off to come join the party again. Let's shoot carry guns at the carry gun match, who else is in?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Glock 19 ...or SW 65? We got to have "standards" for "carry guns".... maybe how much lint and dead skin we can flake off of them before match time?

Dirty guns impress me much more than clean ones!

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
Glock 19 ...or SW 65? We got to have "standards" for "carry guns".... maybe how much lint and dead skin we can flake off of them before match time?

Dirty guns impress me much more than clean ones!

I'd say either is a carry gun, some guys carry full sized guns for everyday carry too. Those Glock 34's and XDM's with CR speed belts are faster but I bet they don't have that thing strapped on when they go to Wallyworld. If I had to vote for 1 best all around gun for both, the Glock 19 would win it.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Outstanding! Maybe Burk will bring his 26 and that other guy with the fancy sub compact trophy will take the night off to come join the party again. Let's shoot carry guns at the carry gun match, who else is in?

Hey now!!! I'll be back on day shift or morning shift soon enough (month or so) and I'll be back out there with my fancy medal/trophy/award and we'll have a blast!!!