Caracal

Firewire

Fanatic
Anyone in the OKC area seen the Caracal yet? I'm aware of at least one guy in Tulsa has one (Steyrclub.com forum). From what I have read they make quite an impression. A Glock / Steyr hybrid from the designer William or Wilheim Bubitts?

From Grant Cunninghams blog:
http://grantcunningham.com/blog.html

Quick video on the features of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO0F7QVhNDM

I did a search here and nothing came up, so I thought I would post it.

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
It sure would take me some getting used to with the rear sight in front of the ejection port.

Firewire

Fanatic
Apparently it has straight 8's like Heine Quik. Just align the front dot on top of the rear dot (hence the 8 ). I did read one complaint on a review or youtube video from Shot 2012 that there isn't much light in the rear notch.

They also have one on another video with "Quick Sight" that has a front sight and the "rear" is still in front of the ejection port.

Quick Sight
piccola3jpg41.jpg

Standard 8
piccola1jpg3313.jpg

The Antichrome

At SHOT, they had very pretty booth babes and gave away nice little coffee cups.
Thats all they had going for them. Yawn.

Seriously, these things felt chintzy. The rear sight is also the housing for the firing pin? Eesh.
I dont think think we'll see any of these in matches anytime soon since there are no Caracal's on the Production approved list.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Thats all they need right? I mean that's a staple right? Hot coffee and hot chicks I'm in!

Firewire

Fanatic
Couldn't resist. Ordered one today.

They can be had for $395 here:
http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nonnfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=5304&query=retrieval

Or here for $465 & free shipping: http://centerfiresystems.com/CARACAL-CS.aspx

Ill get some pics up once received.

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Dave which one you order C or F ? And what's the difference?

Firewire

Fanatic
I went with the "C" Compact.

I spent like an hour on the phone yesterday with a different shop then I ordered from, and he could have sold me a whole slew of other more expensive options, but just couldn't say enough good things about the Caracal. He was pretty convincing and apparently shot competitively and still recommended this over one of his sponsors. Fit and finish is supposed to be outstanding. Apparently they are moving manufacturing to Germany and importing here through the same group that imports Steyrs and something else. He felt that if Glock and Caracal came out on the same day years ago we wouldn't even know who Glock was today. The Austrian or German designer of this (Caracal) was basically given free reign to build his ultimate striker fired. Grip angle, ease of use, easy of maintenance, etc. He also use to work for Glock and later Steyr, but the story was he didn't have full control of what he wanted no matter what the manufacturing cost, until the UAE hired him for this project. Only takes 2 pins to remove all the innards on the frame and 3 pins to disassemble the slide. 5 pins for a complete detail strip and there are only 28 parts. Components were built into the design. You can remove the whole trigger assembly easily and clean it all. I am hoping it is kinda an AR of the striker fired pistol world in terms of easy maintenance.
http://en.wikipedia..../Wilhelm_Bubits

Here is a video from 2006 with a bit from Wilhelm Bubits, so this gun has been in the works for a while now:

Both are 9mm, but here are the specs:

C - Slide - 6.58" F - Slide - 7"
Barrel - 3.66" Barrel - 4"
Height - 4.8" Height - 5.32"
Width - 1.1" Width - 1.1"
Weight - 24.69 Weight - 26.46 oz
Rounds - 15+1 Rounds Cap - 18+1

Side by side pic I found comparing the C on the left and F on the right.
1-Compct-left-full-size-right_cropped.jpg

copertop80

Well-Known Fanatic
Kinda sexy looking anyone else see the U.A. E. Stamped on it? The Arabs do a lot but how are they at making guns?? Or are they just ripping off the Germans like most firearms companies do???

Firewire

Fanatic
It arrived today. Very nice craftsmanship, great weight, and feel!

Quick shots, over-exposed, underexposed, yada yada yada....I wanted to get them up quick.

6793570149_0782076264_b.jpg

6793570647_cddd8bf540_b.jpg

6793569607_47e42dfae4_b.jpg

6793569111_e7fef842ed_b.jpg

Firewire

Fanatic
The current number of Full size and Compact Caracal's imported to the States.

Model F Standard Sights: 1105
Model F Quick Sights: 50
Model C Standard Sights: 427
Model C Quick Sights: 66

Hopefully more to come later this year. A few dealers still have them in stock.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
They don't have different back straps for different hand sizes? Seems like the in thing to do and makes sense.

How about front serrations?

It does look like it has a really low bore axis which is always a good thing.

Firewire

Fanatic
I too was concerned about the lack of backstraps because I have smallish hands, but I wouldn't change the way it is if it did have them (it fits me great as is). So maybe I am lucky there. Front serrations would be nice. I got to shoot about 85 rounds last night. I was very pleased. Not a single failure of any kind. Mixed PMC Bronze and Federal White box target. Everything worked great and smooth. Mags drop freely and it stays very clean inside. After the 85 rounds it almost didn't look like I had even shot it when I broke it down to clean.

The Straight 8 sights I really like. I wasn't dead accurate, but at 7-10 yards I stayed X thru 8 rings with only a about a 1-2 second pause between shots. For me that was pretty good especially for a 3.66" barrel. The 15 round mag in a compact was really nice. The mag loader it comes with works incredibly well. Better than my Upula. Funny thing was I was going to toss it aside and keep using my Upula, but the mag fits exactly into the contraption and you simply squeeze and load squeeze and load......very little effort.

accessory-6.jpg

Latest posts