Car Vs. Semi

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
This morning after my wife dropped me off for work she went to get groceries, but instead 15 mins after she left was hit by a Semi that changed lanes into her lane My 4 Year old Daughter was in the car with her. So far they are both doing Well. My wife's wrist hurts and has some scraches from the driver side glass busting in on her. Kiddo was shaken but not affected any other way. Car... well it kicked the Bucket.
2012-09-07065654.jpg

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Wasn't a semi but a guy in a an F150 decided to turn from the right lane - across my lane - and 2 other lanes - to get to the gas station. This is not even Friday the 13th!!!

pre_1347040851__413539_152661761540243_79467902_o-1.jpeg

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
glad to hear the wife and kiddo are okay. Its those kinds of things playing through my mind that keep me constantly worried.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
wow Chase, Glad they are ok.
It most definately could've been alot worse.
It looks like the car held up amazingly well considering it was hit by a semi.
Watch them both for the next few days for signs of anything you guys didn't notice right away, especially the kiddo.....can't be too careful.

dennishoddy

Watch them both for the next few days for signs of anything you guys didn't notice right away, especially the kiddo.....can't be too careful.

Excellent advice! Keep a very close eye on them. Young folks can't endure the G forces that older folks can.

dennishoddy

So, keeping with the theme of the night, I was driving home from range set-up and had a lower ball joint snap. I did 2, 360's in the highway, before coming to a stop between a tree and power pole. The tree was front and center, and I remember thinking this is going to hurt, as the brake line had broken and I was at the mercy of the back brakes that really don't do much. Couldn't steer as the drag on the broken side was directing the line. of travel.
As the tree was coming, I slid off the asphalt, and hit the dirt. The broken side had enough drag to pull the front end over so I ended up between the tree and a power pole.
Checked my shorts for debris, found none, and just sat there for awhile.
Got the vehicle home with a wrecker. Now we are down to one vehicle. Talked to Doug, and he said I could shoot through if you guys don't mind, and I can go to Tulsa and get the vehicle we have bought, but not picked up.
3F4E5DE3-B8A9-4238-8E05-4E536A695D45-755-00000085A7EE8C82.jpg

Chambers

actual GM
Some chick in a little Hyundai shitbox had the audacity to change lanes while I was walking across the street this morning. I'm fine, just a scratch, but the car was totaled.

papercut.jpg

dennishoddy

Damm Chambers! we hit it at the same time.
Don't know about the rest, but I'm hurting in every joint in my body. Never had an impact, but I'm thinking the clenching and anticipation made me sore.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Dennis was that your Tacoma or the wife's vehicle you are replacing?

dennishoddy

Both. The Jeep sucked a valve into the piston, and the tacoma lost the ball joint.
If it wasen't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
wow Chase, Glad they are ok.
It most definately could've been alot worse.
It looks like the car held up amazingly well considering it was hit by a semi.

Well after dealing with the insurance and getting a rental/rental insurance paid for we went to the hospital(about 12 hours after the wreck) and rechecked kiddo and had them check the wife she was experiencing wrist pain. Now my wife has Panic attacks every time we are on the road Note that she hasn't even been behind the wheel again yet. Kiddo is obviously nervous when getting in the car. They were so Lucky! my wife actually came in contact with the truck while it was pushing them in front of it. Take this for what its worth but the guy at the wrecker said had the car been one of the more popular models the semi would have pushed further in. They are sleeping rather restlessly i might add but im sitting here awake thinking I may want to talk to an Attorney. I mean seriously my family was inches away from death. the kind of forces involved in a semi traveling at interstate speeds is tremendous. Im at a loss I have very little experience with this kind of situation. and who knows what kind of life long injuries could develop Physical or Psychological. Seriously My 4 year old was pushed infront of a semi going 60+ sideways...

Sundance

Active Fanatic
Glad everyone is okay. There is always a little fear after something like that. Takes some time to get past it. I was rear ended when I was 16 yrs old and I still watch the people behind me pretty closely. Spun out on an icey bridge about 19 yrs ago, still approach them with much much more caution. That was a hell of a ride bouncing from guard rail to guard rail to guard rail then sideswiping an oncoming car. If I recall there was some debris in my shorts afterward.

Okie4570

Fanatic
Wow!! Glad everyone is ok. I've done the ball joint thing before but was only going about 15mph leaving a stop sign........................not at highway speeds. Extra vehicles sitting at my house if you need a loaner Dennis. If you don't mind driving a Ford!

Latest posts