can you own a gun if your spouse was convicted of a crime

A34215

Fanatic
I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
We are not attorneys (most of us).
For leegal advice such as that, I would recommend reading up on your local laws and talk with an attorney.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've spent many a nights in jail and still am allowed to own guns. As long as it's not a domestic deal or a felony I THINK she should still be allowed to own a gun.

But as stated above I'd talk to someone who's passes the bar exam in Oklahoma to be certain.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Jesse Tischauser said:
I've spent many a nights in jail and still am allowed to own guns. As long as it's not a domestic deal or a felony I THINK she should still be allowed to own a gun.

But as stated above I'd talk to someone who's passes the bar exam in Oklahoma to be certain.
Agreed. It would depend on the crime that was committed. Most misdemeanors wouldn't make you loose your gun rights or voting rights. It's all down to what she did, and where you live. Contact a gun friendly attorney in your area. They should be able to tell you very quickly.

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:

Story time?? :D

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
A34215 said:
I was thinking of purchasing a gun, but my wife was convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months in jail. Does this now mean a gun cannot even be int the house? I was going to ask for more information but since I was here I thought I would ask here as well
You can download ATF form 4473, which outlines what the criteria are for prohibited persons.

Whether a firearm can be owned by someone who lives with a prohibited person is a totally different question that I don't know the answer to.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Since the OP's avatar says he is in Ohio, I suggest he ask for legal advice there since each state can make its own laws and theirs may differ from ours.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Larry Rigsby said:
Since the OP's avatar says he is in Ohio, I suggest he ask for legal advice there since each state can make its own laws and theirs may differ from ours.
you're right. since most of us live in the OK Wild West I think we tend to assume that the limiting factor is Federal law.

LuckyDucky

Well-Known Fanatic
The problem you will run into is the spouse possessing the firearm.

While you may not be prohibited, the spouse might be (depending on the crime). If you live with a prohibited person and don't lock up your guns so the prohibited person can't get them, then that person might be construed as possessing the gun. Even if you do lock up your guns, you still run the risk of making friends with the government.

I don't know ohio law. But be careful about thinking she isn't prohibited if it was a misdemeanor. Some misdemeanors can make you a prohibited person.

Latest posts