Can it happen again?

Podman

Well-Known Fanatic
Rare Film From 1932. Can It Happen Again?

FANTASTIC NEWS VIDEO: 1932 - young Patton, young Eisenhower,
young MacArthur, Pres.Hoover, Walter Winchell reporting. I don't
recall this from any history classes. Do you think our military,
acting on orders from a broken Federal Gov't, will NOT march against our own citizens??
Think what you want to, but THIS DID HAPPEN only a couple of generations ago.

Hard to believe but it was only 80 years ago!

[SIZE=10pt]http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?feature=player_embedded&v=sNOsIB5VMSQ[/SIZE]

dennishoddy

Its Illegal for Regular military to enforce state laws within the confines of the US. The Coast Guard is exempt.

It does not apply to the National guard that can be used to enforce state law within the borders of their home state, unless invited by a governor of another state to help there.

(Oklahoma National Guard was asked for help during Katrina in New Orleans.)

Edit: I did find there is an exception written into the Posse Comitatus Act. Interesting.

An exception to Posse Comitatus Act, derived from the Enforcement Acts, allowed President Eisenhower to send federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, during the 1958 school desegregation crisis. The Enforcement Acts, among other powers, allow the President to call up military forces when state authorities are either unable or unwilling to suppress violence that is in opposition to the constitutional rights of the people

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
While Hoover's use of the military against the Bonus Army was a political blunder as well as scary that that could happen, the use of federal troops in this instance is probably not an illegal act because the action took place in the District of Columbia, not a state.

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Its Illegal for Regular military to enforce state laws within the confines of the US. The Coast Guard is exempt.

It does not apply to the National guard that can be used to enforce state law within the borders of their home state, unless invited by a governor of another state to help there.

(Oklahoma National Guard was asked for help during Katrina in New Orleans.)

Edit: I did find there is an exception written into the Posse Comitatus Act. Interesting.

An exception to Posse Comitatus Act, derived from the Enforcement Acts, allowed President Eisenhower to send federal troops into Little Rock, Arkansas, during the 1958 school desegregation crisis. The Enforcement Acts, among other powers, allow the President to call up military forces when state authorities are either unable or unwilling to suppress violence that is in opposition to the constitutional rights of the people
Ike also federalized the Arkansas National Guard because Governor Faubus used them to prevent integration. Additionally, the mayor of Little Rock communicated to Eisenhower that he was open to federal intervention and local police would support it.

dennishoddy

rawhide said:
Ike also federalized the Arkansas National Guard because Governor Faubus used them to prevent integration. Additionally, the mayor of Little Rock communicated to Eisenhower that he was open to federal intervention and local police would support it.
Its still a violation. The Mayors don't have the powers to justify federal intervention. Governors have the power, not mayors.

Yes, I know it happened. Its not legal though.

Who is going to enforce it?

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
Its still a violation. The Mayors don't have the powers to justify federal intervention. Governors have the power, not mayors.

In that particular instance The Mayor of Little Rock requested federal assistance. The Governor of Arkansas was totally against desegregation and like it has been stated attempted to use the Guard to block the desegregation attempts contrary to law.

rawhide1

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:

Eisenhower didn't send troops at the request of the mayor although the mayor's telegrams may have influenced him, but because he believed he had a duty to uphold the law and the decision of the Supreme Court under Article IV, section 4 and the 14th Amendment.

Back to the original topic of Hoover's use of the army against the WWI veterans. Hoover acted in a federal district at the request of the D.C. Commission. I have read that Hoover sent orders to MacArthur to not pursue the marchers into their main camp on Anacostia Flats but MacArthur ignored the order.

While I don't think there's any question the Founders would frown on the use of the military against it's own citizens as though they are subjects, Article IV clearly states the U.S. government has a responsibility to defend against domestic violence.

Latest posts