Calling on the Marines.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I was watching a WWII vid, (Victory at Sea) and they referend to the Army as Soldiers and the Marines as Sailors. I'm an USAF Vet and now this has me wondering. I wouldn't want to insult anyone. It's never come up to me before. Even though in my day I shared a house with another AF NCO and a USMC 1st Louie chopper pilot. We just called them Jar Heads.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I was watching a WWII vid, (Victory at Sea) and they referend to the Army as Soldiers and the Marines as Sailors. I'm an USAF Vet and now this has me wondering. I wouldn't want to insult anyone. It's never come up to me before. Even though in my day I shared a house with another AF NCO and a USMC 1st Louie chopper pilot. We just called them Jar Heads.
The Marines are part of the dept. of the Navy, but it seems odd to call them sailors. I'm a Navy vet myself, my squadron was assigned to the Kittyhawk, Marines ran the brig, and were also there for "crowd control" after the race riot.

dennishoddy

Understood. The Army & AF are associated with the Dept of the Army still. Even though they are a separate organization. Just like the Navy and the USMC. They will put the grunts on a plane and the Jarheads on a boat.
Army going to Europe in the 60's went by troop ship. One of my buddies still tells the tales of massive sea sickness. He said he was told to always get the top bunk to avoid the "fallout".

Latest posts