Buying a new gun.

Steve

Fanatic
Hey everyone, I am new to the forum and have a quick question. I bought my carry gun before I had my permit, but I am buying another gun. I have not bought a new gun since I got my permit and I heard that there could be a delay in the actual purchase because I have a permit. Have any of you heard of this? I only inquire because I am going to drive a little ways to get there and am trying not to make two trips. Thanks for any advice you can give me. ;)

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
I have never heard of anyone having a delay in buying a firearm after getting a SC CWP. For me it has been the opposite since they can skip the background check. The dealer does not have to call in your info because with the CWP you have proof of being able to buy/own a gun.

If anyone has a different experience, it would be interesting to hear.

Steve

Fanatic
Thanks Mark, that was what I was thinking too. I thought that was strange, but I figured I would throw it out there. ;)

craigp

Well-Known Fanatic
Nope, no delay when you have your permit in hand. Actually makes the process simpler and faster than when you don't have it. Whoever told you otherwise does't have a clue what they are talking about.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of the time the clerks say "oh good, you have a ccw, that makes it so much easier."
The stores still call it in but when they do they tell them I have a ccw and they approve it right away whereas before I had my ccw occasionally they'd have to call back in half an hour, once it was the next day.

007SC

Active Fanatic
U don't say where you are located, but I would suggest shopping with one of our site sponsors, if you can. I've been very happy with UAG! +1 Silent Bob!

Good luck & welcome to the forum!

Steve

Fanatic
Thank you everyone, I thought it sounded goofy for that to be the case. I really like the forum so far from the little bit that I have seen. I will see ya soon. :D

oceancoursecaddy

Active Fanatic
I bought a new to me gun at Money Man Pawn in West Ashley the other day and showed the guy my cwp. He said he still had to call it in though cause just because I have a cwp doesnt mean I havent committed a crime since I got the cwp. Must be either hes an idiot or its store policy.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
oceancoursecaddy said:
I bought a new to me gun at Money Man Pawn in West Ashley the other day and showed the guy my cwp. He said he still had to call it in though cause just because I have a cwp doesnt mean I havent committed a crime since I got the cwp. Must be either hes an idiot or its store policy.

Thats funny considering a lot of their inventory is stolen and I know of at least one case where they bought a used gun that was reported stolen in another state and then sold it to someone else.

I'm going with hes an idiot and its an idiotic store policy.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Read a thread recently on another gun forum. A guy did a legitimate deal off of Armslist (might have been Gun Broker) but he called the serial number in to his local sheriff's department after the sale and it turned out the gun had been stolen a few years back. He surrendered it to the police, no charges. He was able to get some money back from the seller, but apparently the gun had been sold and resold numerous times. The police contacted the original owner who ultimately didn't want the gun back, and the buyer who surrendered it was able to get it back.

If Money Man Pawn is known for selling stolen firearms, I'd call in the serial to the police before buying.

Latest posts