Bullet grain weight and type for 3Gun?

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Just wanted to know what grain weights and bullet types you guys use for 3Gun matches. I have a Glock 34 9mm on the way and my AR15 has a 16" barrell with 1X7 twist. I just ordered some 115, 124 and 147 grain FMJ bullets to try in the Glock, and have 62 and 55 grain FMJ rounds for the AR. Want to try heavier bullets for the AR, but prices are Crazy Eddie insane right now.

Any help on what your personal 3Gun ammo packing list looks like would help me pinpoint my ammo choices.

Thanks,
Curtis

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't shot a three gun match yet but I do shoot 55's in my AR quite a bit and it seems to like them. I've found them to be pretty accurate out to 200yds. Congrats on the G34. I just picked up one myself last month and shot my first match with it last weekend. I was shooting TulAmmo 115's and it ate them up like candy. Not a problem at all and the recoil seemed less then I was used to with the same rounds in my Ruger P95DC.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Right now I am shooting whatever i can find :)

Seriously, I'm no 3-gun expert but I mostly shoot 55gr FMJ and 115gr FMJ

PS: Tula runs fine in all of my guns, they aren't very picky

S1400C Sierra Bullets 22cal {.224} High Velocity 53gr HP Match

Will these work for 3 gun reloads? I have a .556 16" 1:7 dan def barrell

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Jason Grant said:
S1400C Sierra Bullets 22cal {.224} High Velocity 53gr HP Match

Will these work for 3 gun reloads? I have a .556 16" 1:7 dan def barrell
I have the same barrel. Been shooting Federal Lake City 62 grain and is they have been accurate. I got some PMC 55 grain but have yet to try it. I've read that the 1:7 twist likes heavier grain bullets, but there are none in stock for me to try out.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well the farther East and the more South you live, the heavier the bullet you need to shoot. Here in Oklahoma you probably need to be shooting 69 grain bullets. The farther North and West you live, the lighter bullets seem to work. Coming from Colorado I shoot 55 grain bullets for everything and have resisted the urge to "go heavy", but if you have a 16" barrel and live anywhere past the Mississippi you will need to shoot 77 grain bullets. For that length barrel here in Oklahoma you will absolutely need at least 62 grain bullets if not 69 grain bullets

(Note: this post is ment in hummor, but it is a trueism that I have noted over the years...the farther East the heavier they shoot same with the more South! and I ain't kidding)

Thank you Kurt

do we have any limitations on bullet type...are soft point, varment, and hollow point ok to shoot?

in stock choices are obviously limited these days

well...I've gotta step outta the powder puff division sometime :jester:

I am going to start reloading rifle and I don't order 100 at a time, so I don't want to order something I can't use...but those are the best priced I can locate at the moment

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
They shoot very well in the rifles i have used them in, but really almost any bullet works for the short range stuff. (Bullets are scarce right now)

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes there is a RESTRICTION!! No bullet that will attract a magnet, PERIOD!! NO bi-metal or steel jacket ammunition or anything with a penetrator....outside of that anything goes!

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
KurtM said:
Yes there is a RESTRICTION!! No bullet that will attract a magnet, PERIOD!! NO bi-metal or steel jacket ammunition or anything with a penetrator....outside of that anything goes!

I guess that will leave me out until I come up with some diffrent ammo. Everything I have is steel cased surplus and I believe it has the bi-metal jacket.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
For pistol, I like the heavier bullets.
147g for 9mm
180g for .40
230g for .45
For rifle I use 55g American Eagle black box.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
KDF9511...O.P. is in Huston, you live here. Get someone to explain about Bi-Metal bullets at OKCGC 3-gun matches. I am sick of doing it myself. Jessie? Chris?, Mike? Mike? Mike? anyone???

Latest posts