Bul Commander in 9mm- first range trip

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I was excited to learn my club's indoor range wasn't totally closed for repairs..only closed "sometimes"..(day shift hrs.)
Learning this, & being a "night owl" (retired PM /MN employee), I decided to take my new 1911 for it's inital range trip last night.
Got to the indoor range about 10:45 p.m., and happy to see I'd have the range to myself. Quickly set up targets, & loaded mags.
I'd brought along boxes of 115gr FMJ's, 125gr.Polymer-coated rds, 124gr.JHP's, & 147 FMJ's..to give them all a try.
All were my hand loads, loaded to approx. 1050 FPS (estimated, not chrono'd)

Bul comes with (2) new 10 rnd Mec-Gar mags. A little different than my Mec Gar 9rnd.ers that I 've been
using in my S/A, DW, RK Isl., & Am.Classic 9mm 1911's. Has a different follower ,& has a plastic floorplate that extends the mags,
so they hang slightly below the frame. A bit hard to get all 10 rds loaded in the mags, may have been the cause of 1 of the 2 FTF I experienced.
I might load the mags & let them sit, loaded for a week or so, to see if the mag spring relaxes a bit.
These mags are more difficult to load than the 9rnders I have.. that might be because they've been used for awhile.

I fired approx 150 rds thru the pistol on this trip. Ist few mags, I was all over the target, mostly shooting very low.
I've been shooting rifles all summer, haven't done much pistol shooting. Started focusing on my grip & trigger control.
Adjusted my sight picture from 6 o'clock hold to covering bullseye w/front sight & started hitting the Bullseye.
More I shot the pistol, the better I started hitting my aimpoint, (or close to it)

Had 2 FTF's probably due to the rds., or mags, not the pistol. Both were my falcoated lead rds..which are slightly longer in OAL than the FMJ or JHP's
1st FTF required a gentle push on back of slide to fully chamber the rnd. Other FTF issue locked up slide..
Had to force it open. When I cleared the jam, & examined the rnd, couldn't see anything that might have caused the issue.
I replaced rnd back in a mag, it fed & fired without issue. (?) Fired another 75 rds. afterwards, w/o any other incidents.

I'm very pleased with this pistol. Might try to see if the front sight can be changed to a fiber optic blade,
as the black front sight blade, black rear sight, sighting on a black bullseye, has my elderly eyes Straining .

Had a few red stick-on bullseye stickers I tried, made seeing sights /target much better.
Mostly I just need to shoot it more.
I'd give in an A- or B+.. Considering the features, quality of materials, & workmanship,
I feel the pistol is a great buy. Will try to attach a few pics from my range trip..

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Nice looking pistol! I really like the checkered front strap, not too many in that price range have them that I know of. Thanks for the range report.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Good follow up to your "just bought it" thread. Lot of custom features on your Bul to be certain. Can't get a 'smith to checker front strap for $250 these days. Glad it shot and functioned so good for you.
After your first post, I went to grabagun and they were sold out. However, just a few days ago, these were back in stock.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Good follow up to your "just bought it" thread. Lot of custom features on your Bul to be certain. Can't get a 'smith to checker front strap for $250 these days. Glad it shot and functioned so good for you.
After your first post, I went to grabagun and they were sold out. However, just a few days ago, these were back in stock.
Nice. Looks like it's fun to shoot.

Mr.Fister

Active Fanatic
Looks like a solid pistol. Israelis seem to make good stuff, they have to considering their neighbors. I've never fired a 9mm in the 1911 platform but I have a couple IWI Jerichos in 9mm and like them well enough. Both can be carried in condition 1.
Good looking 1911 in 9mm.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." I've never fired a 9mm in the 1911 platform.."
I waited about 30 yrs. before I tried a 1911 in 9mm.
Once I tried it, wondered why I waited so long..:rolleyes:
Now I have (5)..2 govt. sized & 3 Commander sized.
Probably should sell about 3 of them that I rarely shoot, would make some room in my safe.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Had my 2nd outing with the Bul..fired another 150+ rds thru it..using same ammo: 115 fmj, 124gr hytek coated, & 125 gr jhp,
+ 147 fmj. I had put some white paint on the edge of the front sight, improving the contrast between the sight and the target.

Was able to shoot notably better this trip w/fewer "fliers" , better groups & able to hit my bullseye & square mire frequently.
I shoot @ 7 yds..shooting @ a 1" dia. bullseye, and a < 1" square, so it's a challenge, for me anyway.

Shot my best with 147gr fmj loads..not sure if it was the load, or I was "warmed up" by the time I shot that load.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
9mm 1911s are truly a joy to shoot. And an easy change to my favorite caliber, the super 38. For a switch caliber pistol. I'm in the middle of creating another 9mm / super38; a lightweight commander, will post up pics when I get complete.

Glad the new Bul is working out Joe. Lot of pistol there for the cost

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I was excited to learn my club's indoor range wasn't totally closed for repairs..only closed "sometimes"..(day shift hrs.)
Learning this, & being a "night owl" (retired PM /MN employee), I decided to take my new 1911 for it's inital range trip last night.
Got to the indoor range about 10:45 p.m., and happy to see I'd have the range to myself. Quickly set up targets, & loaded mags.
I'd brought along boxes of 115gr FMJ's, 125gr.Polymer-coated rds, 124gr.JHP's, & 147 FMJ's..to give them all a try.
All were my hand loads, loaded to approx. 1050 FPS (estimated, not chrono'd)

Bul comes with (2) new 10 rnd Mec-Gar mags. A little different than my Mec Gar 9rnd.ers that I 've been
using in my S/A, DW, RK Isl., & Am.Classic 9mm 1911's. Has a different follower ,& has a plastic floorplate that extends the mags,
so they hang slightly below the frame. A bit hard to get all 10 rds loaded in the mags, may have been the cause of 1 of the 2 FTF I experienced.
I might load the mags & let them sit, loaded for a week or so, to see if the mag spring relaxes a bit.
These mags are more difficult to load than the 9rnders I have.. that might be because they've been used for awhile.

I fired approx 150 rds thru the pistol on this trip. Ist few mags, I was all over the target, mostly shooting very low.
I've been shooting rifles all summer, haven't done much pistol shooting. Started focusing on my grip & trigger control.
Adjusted my sight picture from 6 o'clock hold to covering bullseye w/front sight & started hitting the Bullseye.
More I shot the pistol, the better I started hitting my aimpoint, (or close to it)

Had 2 FTF's probably due to the rds., or mags, not the pistol. Both were my falcoated lead rds..which are slightly longer in OAL than the FMJ or JHP's
1st FTF required a gentle push on back of slide to fully chamber the rnd. Other FTF issue locked up slide..
Had to force it open. When I cleared the jam, & examined the rnd, couldn't see anything that might have caused the issue.
I replaced rnd back in a mag, it fed & fired without issue. (?) Fired another 75 rds. afterwards, w/o any other incidents.

I'm very pleased with this pistol. Might try to see if the front sight can be changed to a fiber optic blade,
as the black front sight blade, black rear sight, sighting on a black bullseye, has my elderly eyes Straining .

Had a few red stick-on bullseye stickers I tried, made seeing sights /target much better.
Mostly I just need to shoot it more.
I'd give in an A- or B+.. Considering the features, quality of materials, & workmanship,
I feel the pistol is a great buy. Will try to attach a few pics from my range trip..

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always liked the looks of the BUL pistols, but don't recall seeing one in person. Glad things went well for you, appears it is going to be a great gun. Congratulations!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
9mm 1911s are truly a joy to shoot. And an easy change to my favorite caliber, the super 38. For a switch caliber pistol. I'm in the middle of creating another 9mm / super38; a lightweight commander, will post up pics when I get complete.

Glad the new Bul is working out Joe. Lot of pistol there for the cost
Excited to see the new lightweight commander. One of my favorite guns. I currently own two in 45. One pre series 80, one pre enhanced series 80. Fun to shoot.