Building a SBR

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm starting to build a bug out bag. One of the obvious things I need to consider is weapons. I've been thinking about a SBR and a .22 LR pistol for firearms in my bug out bag. I know you need a tax stamp to buy one, but at what part of the building process do you need a tax stamp? If you have a lower with a SBR upper and they are NOT put together, do you need a tax stamp? Once you have all of the parts do you just need to send in the serial number of the lower you are going to use and get a tax stamp and then assemble the rifle?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
If the lower and upper with barrel attached are in the same residence easily able to be put together, get the upper out of your house.
ATF considers it intent to manufacture, or something along those lines.

When I did mine I bought the lower and immediately did the paperwork and sent the money for the stamp. While I was waiting I finished my lower, which stayed at my house. Then I bought an upper and immediately took it straight from cold hand arms to my dads house for safekeeping until I got my stamp back.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
BATFE has wavered on this issue before, however their current stance is as Matt stated. You'll be best off possessing only the receiver until your form comes back approved.

101ABN327

Fanatic
The best way to approach an SBR project is to buy your lower receiver (the serial numbered item), do your Form 1 and get your CLEO sign off completed. Go to the bank and get a money order for $200.00 and send it in to NFA Branch and start waiting. While you are waiting, take your lower to and engraver to have your name or trust inscribed on it and start assembling parts for your final product. These days it is taking an inordinate amount of time due to ATF not working transfers in a timely manner. I don't know of any Agency this inefficient that gets away with it. There it is...

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Another option if you have an extra lower around is to build a pistol with the short barrel upper on it while you wait or your stamp.

PhoenixTX

Fanatic
101ABN327 said:
The best way to approach an SBR project is to buy your lower receiver (the serial numbered item), do your Form 1 and get your CLEO sign off completed. Go to the bank and get a money order for $200.00 and send it in to NFA Branch and start waiting. While you are waiting, take your lower to and engraver to have your name or trust inscribed on it and start assembling parts for your final product. These days it is taking an inordinate amount of time due to ATF not working transfers in a timely manner. I don't know of any Agency this inefficient that gets away with it. There it is...

The only thing I would change about this is to have the lower engraved first. If there is a problem with the engraving after the forms are submitted, you will be starting all over. Engrave it first, then send your form.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I did my engraving first then sent the paperwork in and assembled my lower while I waited. I started ordering parts for the upper ordered the barrel last and it came in a few weeks before my stamp so I stored it somewhere else to be on the safe side. I wish I had gotten a pistol buffer and then I could have been out shooting it until the paperwork came in.

Latest posts