Building a private range questions.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the regulations are for building your own private gun range would be. I've read the Oklahoma laws on discharging firearms, but wasn't sure if there was anything more to it than that. Is there anyone out in Pottawatomie County / Tecumseh / Shawnee area who has already buily a private range who can give me a rundown of what the county regulations are?

I'm looking to buy some property out in Pottawatomie county and building an extensive private outdoor range. I'm looking into building some run and gun courses and possibly even a 360 degree range in one area or maybe a killhouse. Right now, the plans are to keep it private, but I there are some thoughts about opening it up for LEO to train on or even allow the various gun competitions to use the facilities for matches.

If you have a private range elsewhere, I would also love to hear any input you may have in your dealings with LEO and any regulations the county required for your own range.

Thanks,

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Quail ridge Sporting Clays is having issues with noise complaints as of February as per a KOCO.com article I just read when I googled Oklahoma gun range noise laws.

Here Is the law on gun range noise.
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/oklahoma.aspx

Get yourself a copy of the NRA range construction manual and build away just be ready for neighbors to complain.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
If you make nice with your neighbors and let them use the range also you might not have some many issues that's how some friends of mine do there range and they host youth shoots a couple of times a year

work with the NRA; they have a group that range owners work with that will apprise them of this.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
You did mean that you want to build it in Muskogee county, right?

Other than that, I know nothing about building a range. I do know Cyrwus is right, a local range here went through this recently; the NRA sent someone out to evaluate their current range and review their suggested improvements.