Building a Home Defense Shotgun

GZR

Administrator
Am I missing something or are Tactical Shotguns now called Home Defense Shotguns.
I guess it is more politically correct to call them a Home Defense Shotgun.

I was thinking about building one and was talking to Pops about it.
He seems to think it is more cost effective to buy one than to build one.
Opinions?

Maddog

Well-Known Fanatic
If you have to start from scratch its probably more cost effective to buy a ready to go unit, but if you have some components, or the base weapon It may be a toss up. I have been toying with the idea of building one myself and have started shopping around and seen some pretty good (reasonable) pricing on the ones in the local shops, still its not always about the cost but the fun or building and knowing what components you have in the Build. I would be interested in seeing what you decide on for my own reference.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I am in process of doing two of them.
I like 870 home defense / tactical shotguns.
I have one all but finished if I don't coat it then I am finished.

The one I am currently working on is an old Wingmaster I bought for $65
I paid more for the Remington extended mag tube than I did for the shotgun.
I cut the barrel down to 18.25 inches
I put a set of synthetic furniture on it
I put a limbsaver recoil pad on it
I put a snap on Hi-Vis sight on it.
I have tested fired it and it works ok. (pops is probably still nursing his shoulder)
It just needs coating.

Cutting the barrel on the smooth barrel from the Wingmaster was very different than cutting the ribbed barrel on the Express.
I had to cut the Hi-Vis sight to fit due to the location of the barrel band on the Remington Extended mag tube.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I used a wooden dowel.
Turns out there is a whole process to cutting down a barrel in a home shop.
I don't mind typing it out but how much detail do you want?
I tend to be very wordy.

GZR

Administrator
Since the barrel with be useless if I cut it to short put the instructions in senile old man format.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Measuring it is the easy part of cutting a barrel to Home Defense / Tactical length.
Get a wooden dowel from home depot or lowes that will fit in the barrel.
With an 870 have the bolt closed.
Drop the dowel in and mark it at the top of the barrel.
Now pull the dowel out and measure 18 inches from the bottom, mark it.
Measure the distance between the two marks, that is how much you will want to remove.
I suggest not cutting your barrel to exactly 18 inches as you will lose a tad bit finishing the end and crowning it.

Conventional wisdom is that the barrel should be at least .25 inches over 18 when you finish.
This so if the BATF measuring stick is little off you will still be safe.
Depending on the agent an eighth of an inch can be as damming as several inches.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Frost: Not trying to break in on your post, but, did you see the people from Summerville that did the gun coating...They were set up behing Georgia Arms...

They had a couple of guns that were coated in the Digital Camo....I thought it looked cool. That would be a cool coating for your project gun...

He wanted to do my AR pistol, but, I don't think I would take that step....I have WAY too much money in that thing...

Steve

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't Know about parkerizing. I think they use the baked on paint, but, don;t know what brand...

Here is their website...sorry, I forgot that I got a buisness card from them...

http://hhbguns.com

Check out the digital guns on the home page...They are KOOL...

Steve

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
This is Henry Bryant. I am one of owners of HHB Guns. I noticed on my web server that I had lots of links from this web site so I came to check it out. Did not know it even existed until tonight. Glad to see were being talked about on this site. Give us a call with your next DuraCoat project, Sale or transfer. We do transfers for $15. I promise your not going to find a better price. Feel free to send me a PM or post.

843-514-5012
www.hhbguns.com

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sir: I am afraid I am the cause of the traffic on your server...I talked to one of your people, or you, at the gun show 2 weekends ago. I was very impressed with your coatings...
Maybe it was you, but anyway, the told him I had an AR-15 pistol that I was thinking about having coated....and he was very interested in doing it...

Wanted to ask you a question about transfers...Do you except transfers from non-FFL's....some people don't, but, it is totally legal...Just wondering..

Glad you made it to the forum...Welcome.

Steve

HHB Guns

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, Non-dealers are ok....I just need them to submit a copy of their drivers license with the shipment for my bound log. $15 for everything except class three. We will have our SOT starting July 2010.

Latest posts