Breathing

tul9033

Founding Member
Now that I am recording myself with a head cam I notice I basically stop breathing between firing positions. Usually when I get to the next shooting position you can hear me sigh and take a breath.
Good, bad, or indifferent? Is comp pistol shooting like working out where you want to breathe or like precision rifle shooting where you hold your breath when you take a shot?

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Slow, even breathing through a stage will help you settle down and shoot better. When rehearsing a stage in your mind, remember to breathe the way you want to during your run.

Rockon71385

Founding Member
I have the opposite problem. I find it impossible to breath while shooting, then I have to catch up on my breath between positions. I just practice running stages(even long ones) in dry fire so I get used to it. Somehow when I'm trying to make the sights line up and pull the trigger I naturally hold my breath to keep steady.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
When rehearsing a stage in your mind, remember to breathe the way you want to during your run.

Great tip Jerry! I hadn't broken down my breathing to that extent yet but I will now. That walk through/dry run in your head time is almost more improtant than the actual shooting of the stage.

I don't think about breathing so much in pistol only matches. I will try to grab a breath and exhale and then pause when I have to make a long shot on small steel or a head shot with my pistol.

During 3 gun or action rifle matches, I try to slow my roll when it comes to the precision long range shooting and utilize proper breathing techniques.

ExSniper

Well-Known Fanatic
Proper breathing will help to calm your nerves and slow your heart rate. Breathe in through the nose out throung the mouth. Before each run, breathe in through the mouth for a four count, hold it for a four count, breathe out through the mouth for a four count, hold it for a four count. Try it and see if the relaxation and oxygenation helps.

Latest posts