Brass pickup

edistoriverrat

Fanatic
Where does anyone go around the Chas. area to pick up brass. Indoor ranges do not want you to pick up "THERE" brass.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic
I sweep up all the brass in my area before I shoot and put it in the store's can. I stop and sweep up the brass in my area several times while I'm shooting. Iput it in my bag and have never had a complaint.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Depends on caliber but there is plenty to be had at Twin Ponds and Boggy Head if one asks first.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic
I pick up my own and ask if anyone wants what they are dropping. If not, I'll pick it up too. I keep mine at ATP as well.

edistoriverrat

Fanatic
ATP, thats where I was, I just happened to be at the time the only person in the range, and swept up my area, and probably two feet on either side of me, and put the brass in my bag. Guy came in and said I could keep only the brass that I shot, and not anymore. Heck I was just sweeping the floor. I had even asked the guy who had just left if I could have his brass, and he said yes.

edistoriverrat

Fanatic
04ctd, or anybody, if you have any brass 9mm or 380 that you would like to get rid of please let me know, I am on disability, and it is kinda hard for me to get it.
Thanks

edistoriverrat

Fanatic
Boggy Head and Twin Ponds

Me and my son went valentines day to both Boggy Head and Twin Ponds shooting range. First time ever. (Thank you Clicker for that info ) That was a sad sight. Both places were just plain nasty, it looked like nobody cleaned up any of their areas, garbage just everywhere. Plactic bottles, broke bottles, junk on the range etc. Boggy Head was the worst. We shot the 380 and my 30-30, and maybe cleaned up a very small handfull of brass. Went over to Twin Ponds, and met two guys there, did not think to ask names. There was brass and metal casings all over the place, I asked them if they wanted any of it, they said no, so I got my broom and started cleaning it up, One of the guys even borrowed my broom and swept from under where he was for me. They said the young kids come in there shooting glass bottles, and things and then leave it as is. I ended up with about 1500 pieces of 380 and 9mm, with the rest mostly steel. Not good but more than I had to start. The whole place was just plain sad looking. For the distance we had to drive I probably won't be making that run again for awhile.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
1500 pieces of brass for free and it's "not good"??? Wow...

I found 100 extra pieces of once fired 5.56 at the range a few weeks ago and I was tap dancing.

biganimal

Well-Known Fanatic
If receiving over $110 worth of free brass is disapointing to you then you are one tough guy to please!!!
Once fired 380 & 9mm brass is selling for about $7.50 per 100.

edistoriverrat

Fanatic
I guess it sounded that way, but I wasn't so much complaining about the amount of brass I got, it was more the shape of the ranges, it was just disheartning to drive all that way and see all the trash all over. Oh yes I was excited about the brass.
A question for you all. Steel casings, I am sure are reloadable, but would you all chance breaking or scaring your dies. There was probably 3500 pc of steel 9mm, 40, 45, etc. if not more. I started to keep them and decided against it, and probably will some day regret that I did not. Your thoughts?

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't steel cases be swaged into bullet jackets?

When I go, I have an old speaker magnet I run through my bucket before I leave. Doesn't get the AL cases, but gets rid of all the steel.

sc1911cwp

Well-Known Fanatic
The Forest Service runs those two ranges. The have stated they will shot them down if it continues. It's only a matter of time. I don't know if they don't care or were never taught whats right.

Tom

Active Fanatic
Brass pickup @ Twin Ponds

I was at Twin Ponds last night re-sighting in my 9545 Hi-Point carbine; just recieved back from Hi-Point after being refurbished (at not cost to me, AND they threw in another 9 round magazine). Young fellow and I shot for two hours, (both the bull and bullets). The range was pretty clean, and we both policed it before leaving. I think that if everyone that shoots at these two ranges, "sets an example" it just might catch on. What I find is, when someone is done shooting they just leave, rather than calling for the range to go "cold" so that they can collect whatever they were shooting at. My biggest complaint is shotgun shells. Geeez you step on one of those the wrong way on concret and can easily twist an ankle.

BTW, getting back to my Hi-Point carbine, somehow (without going into details) I might have gotten 2 or 3 JHP stuck in the barrel; they repaired it/refurbished it, no questions asked. I have never had this weapon jam. What a company.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
The forestry service just does not have the budget to do more than they do.
You can thank the obamanination for that.

These are FREE ranges, meaning no money is made there.
There has been discussion in the past of turning them over to a private enterprise that would charge you to use them.

There are multiple clean ups done every year.
We generally try to get members of the forum to show up and help clean up.
I have been to several, we will make sure we post when the next one is.
We should all show our appreciation of these ranges by giving a little time.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
Frost, you have been to Philsons, right?

dont you see a difference between that and Boggy Head? i just thought about the videos. they show the difference.

it could be me cause ive only been to Boggy Head twice. as busy as Philsons is it stays pretty clean as for the stuff people shoot at that gets pulverised on the range. is it more busy at Boggy Head?

i mentioned to the care taken (brass reciepient) that id bring a mower cause it seams they never cut the grass. he about blew up saying id get in trouble cause thats the job of the guys in the orange jumpsuits. if it was cut more people would take their brass though.

Latest posts