Brass headache

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
In search of new brass for open competition gun. Trying to eliminate factors/excuses that could be causing issues.

I’ve run into a warning on the starline brass that indicates “not recommended for near max or +p loads”

I found some with precision delta but no description about acceptable for +p load.

So if you were to buy new brass for a hot loud gun, where would you get it?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
I would look to Powder Valley or StarLine Brass for new brass.

I see StarLine says:
9mm + Power, 9mm + Pressure
0.748 - 0.754 O.A.L.
Our 9MM+P has no difference from the standard 9mm Luger other than headstamp designation for load segregation. Due to standard case design, it will handle +P pressures with no problems. **NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE IN S&W SHIELD PISTOLS WITH NEAR-MAX OR +P LOADS, DUE TO POORLY SUPPORTED CHAMBER CONDITIONS**WE ALSO DON'T RECOMMEND USING THIS BRASS IN S&W 929 REVOLVERS DUE TO HARD EJECTION ISSUES.

I would take their recommendation not to use a Near-Max or +P Loads with my S&W Shield or poorly supported chamber like in a Star or Llama 1911 non-ramped barrel.

KellyB

Well-Known Fanatic
I now have brass.
Starline new brass
Sig new brass
Sorted brass by head stamp
A pile of Hornandy brass
A pile of Win brass
A pile of Speer brass
A pile of Aguila brass
A pile of PMC brass
A pile of Federal Commercial brass
A pile of Extreme brass
A pile of Blazer brass
A pile of RP brass
A pile of Maxxtech brass (which I’ve been told I need to throw away)
This is as far I got so far.

Now to create a buffet of loads & shoot some targets.

noylj

Fanatic
Are you trying to be a long-range rifle shooter or a pistol shooter? Throw all the cases into the same bin and start loading. Case head-stamp, length, weight segregation is good for a few tenths of an MOA, if you are lucky; however, most pistols are 8-15 MOA shooters any way, so IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER.

Latest posts