Bolt Action Build

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anyone on here ever done one. I picked up a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Mag that I would like to do a custom build off of. Plan would be to eventually go Elk hunting with it. So far all I have done is replace the recalled trigger with a Timney. My biggest question is barrels I would like a heavy fluted barrel for it but no clue on who makes the best or what contour to go with.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Light sporter contour 26" free float it and use handloads and verify dope. A 1.5 moa gun will treat you just fine for hunting out to 600.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I was kinda leaning towards building it up more like a sendero, and I was wanting a little heavier barrel for recoil management.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Head over to El Reno at Gene Sears and those guys can hook you up with more precision rifle stuff than you can either stand or afford, which ever comes first.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I still haven't ever made it out there, I have heard that is the place to go for a lot of stuff. This is mostly just a fun project since I have been wanting to do a bolt action build for awhile.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Any recommendations for scope base and rings. I am going to be mounting a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12 x 42 on a .243, and I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 that will be mounted on a 7mm Mag. I am looking at the Seekins and Larue, but I would be open to other suggestions.

I am also still trying to decide on stock replacement, if anyone has any suggestions.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of your recoil is going to be helped with a good stock, stockade or manners are good stocks that most folks can afford, for a barrel I don't think a heavy contour will make you happy carrying around the mountains! I would go with a 26" tube to help a touch with velocity and the 162 A Max is an awesome bullet as the 180 bergers just have whomever is chamfering you rifle knows what bullet you'll be shooting makes a big difference. I'd lean more towards a medium heavy over heavy, I went light on a 284 Win and it was great for 3 shots then sorta started to scatter things. Look on some of the barrel mfg sites to get an idea on weights and figure out how heavy of a rifle you want to lug around.

BJ and Steve out there at Gene Sears can give you a wealth of info just take something to write with as it can be a little overwealming! I run ken Farrell +20 MOA bases and warne rings and have been more than happy! trying out a vortex HS-T scope now and it's making me smile. May take a trip over to long range hunting website as there is lots of reading there to be had for the questions your asking. Later,

Kirk

benny hill

Just get the 7 mag accurized for about $250.00 and go hunting. It will proberly shoot about 1.5 inches @ 100 yds, so it will kill elk out to 400 yds. Use only bonded tough bullets like hornady GMX. You need a lot of penatration on big game and rakeing shots w/o bullet weight loss.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a friend that can help me blueprint the action and I would like to at least upgrade the stock and put a BDL conversion on it.

benny hill

Easy on the blueprint, as it is real easy to take to much off the front of the action. I build sniper and hunting guns and a little cut goes a long way.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Definitely make small cuts. They have gone to quite a few classes out at Trinidad. We worked on my 243 already and I just haven't figured out what stock I want to drop it in. Trying to decide between a nice laminate or a better fiberglass stock. I definitely want to upgrade to the BDL bottom metal for both, and when I get ready to replace stocks I'll probably go take a stock bedding class.

Latest posts