Blade-Tech Eclipse Holster Review | Glock

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Background: I am always searching for the next best thing in holsters. I typically carry IWB but have always wanted to find a good OWB holster that works with my gun (Glock 26) and my body style (skinny). I decided to try a Blade-Tech Eclipse holster so I headed down to H&H Shooting Sports in Oklahoma City to pick one up. Low and behold; none in stock. The very next day I get an email from Blade-Tech saying that I had won their giveaway drawing on Facebook. What did I win? An Eclipse holster of my choice! Two weeks later, a package arrives from Puyallup, WA with my newest “acquisition”

First Glance: I wasn’t sure what to expect because I have seen some of the Blade-Tech holsters that are injection molded plastic instead of Kydex. I was pleasantly surprised; the holster body is made of 0.08” Kydex. Only the belt loops are made from injection molded plastic. All of the hardware is black round head phillips screws that do not protrude from the body of the holster.

The molding of the holster is “boxy” which isn’t to say it’s bad. It just isn’t what you see in other handmade holsters where the boning is subtle and the lines of the gun less defined. That being said; the initial look of the Eclipse is that of high quality. I also noticed that the holster has a sweat guard on both sides of the gun. As an OWB holster I didn’t really care for this but I am presuming that it is designed for ambidextrous wear (IWB or OWB) so it is a necessity in that aspect. Since I am a righty, I might remove the outside sweat guard for a little more ease of reholstering.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that they had included in my package, the clips to convert the Eclipse into an IWB holster. The existing belt loops are secured with the aforementioned Phillips screws and must be removed to attach the IWB clips. Not something you want to do every day so it would be best to decide which one you like and go with it. I chose the Eclipse mainly as a OWB belt holster so I will review in that capacity and then later make the conversion and review it in that configuration

Holster Quality: I am a holster snob. I used to be a leather holster snob, then I became a Kydex holster snob. After carrying and shooting for a while, I came to the realization that Kydex was the most suitable material for a holster that gets used and carried a lot. That’s only my opinion. I have Kydex holsters from some of the best holster makers around and I have an affinity for a handmade custom holster. The Blade-Tech Eclipse is clearly not a handmade holster. However, even though it is probably molded by machine it doesn’t mean it isn’t quality. The molding is pretty square and somewhat boxy but not to the point that it will cause a problem in OWB mode. I will wait until I have reviewed the IWB mode before making any statements regarding comfort in that regard. The muzzle end of the holster is squared off probably allowing other small frame Glocks (19/23) to be carried in the same holster. Since this was specifically made for a G26, I would rather have had the ends wrapped around the muzzle a little. In OWB mode, I don’t think it matters much but when I convert it to IWB we will see if the edges around the muzzle create any issues

Firearm Fit: The firearm goes into the holster with a very distinct “click” when the trigger guard is engaged by the Kydex. The retention is adjustable, so I can’t see a situation where the gun would not be secured until it is needed. I like a holster that has a click. It tells me (without looking) that the gun is properly seated in the holster

Holster ride/comfort (OWB):
As soon as I got the holster out and did a quick assessment, I put it on in OWB mode. I wear a Kydex lined Looper leather belt in 1-1/2” width. The very first thing I noticed after my belt was adjusted to the proper tension was that I could feel the gun pressing into my side above my belt. As mentioned above, I am skinny by most standards. With the absence of a spare tire, I often find that OWB holsters do not pull the holster into my side sufficient for my liking. Often they flop around, especially if the gun has a short barrel like a G26 and the gun has more weight above the belt line than below it. The Eclipse does not flop around. I am not saying that the gun digs into my side by any means but being able to feel the slide of the gun against my side is more that most OWB holsters offer so this was a good sign. The Eclipse also rides relatively high on the belt. Maybe because this version is for a Glock 26/27. With that small of a gun, about the only way it can ride is high.

The Eclipse I received is a straight drop (0º cant). I normally prefer a slight cant but since this gun is very compact it really doesn’t affect conceal-ability. However, if you were carrying a larger gun like a G19/23 or a G17/22, you might want to consider a slight cant (15º) to avoid the grip printing. I looked online at blade-tech.com and didn’t see an option from a straight drop on the G26 holster, so maybe this is a new option. Another reason I don’t mind a straight drop is that when I convert this to IWB, I am going to experiment with it in the appendix position (AIWB). A straight drop is necessary for this position

Holster ride/comfort (IWB): Review to follow

Overall Impression: I have been wearing this holster OWB daily for about 2 weeks now and haven’t really had any issues with concealing it. I have had my issues with OWB holsters and the Eclipse hasn’t disappointed. I have worn it while working around the barn and with a variety of cover garments, from a t-shirt to a loose fitting button shirt. Because it rides high and so close to the body, none of these scenarios have presented any printing issues. Overall, I give this holster a 4.5 / 5 hollowpoint rating (my own rating system). The dual sweat guard is the only possible down side. I will add a review of the IWB feature at a later date.​

Attachments

• 20141103_112026_zps1fd945f2.JPG
    20141103_112026_zps1fd945f2.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 47
  • 20141103_112014_zps08148cf1.JPG
    20141103_112014_zps08148cf1.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20141103_110817_zps74b1d354.JPG
    20141103_110817_zps74b1d354.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20141103_110759_zpsb1cba6e4.JPG
    20141103_110759_zpsb1cba6e4.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20141103_110744_zps33a021f6.JPG
    20141103_110744_zps33a021f6.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20141103_115819_zpsa2e4b3e1.JPG
    20141103_115819_zpsa2e4b3e1.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20141103_115911_zps7f12c1b5.JPG
    20141103_115911_zps7f12c1b5.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 35

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am beginning the review of the IWB version of the Eclipse.....................more to come

20141201_110415_zpsgfazd9xn.jpg

20141201_163622_zpsdyf4iopc.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ADDENDUM: IWB REVIEW

I switched the holster to the IWB mode with the addition of the two clips that were included in the package. I have carried it daily for about 2 months.

The IWB conversion has several adjustments for ride height and cant. Even though the holster itself is a zero cant, by adjusting each of the clips differently you can accomplish a slight cant of your preference. I carry appendix (AIWB) so I adjusted both of the in the same holes initially. After carrying it for a little while I moved one of the clips "up" a little to get that just right ride height. You will have to play with these adjustments to see what works best for your body type and carry position. I also moved the clips into the closest holes to the body of the holster to make the overall width is slightly smaller thus making it more compatible to the AIWB carry position. If you are going to carry it on your hip at 3-4 o'clock, you might want the wider stance. Again, you will need to adjust to your liking. That is one of the nice things about the Eclipse is the ajustability

I have carried several AIWB holsters over the years and this style most closely resembles the Crossbreed style of holsters. One might this that since this is all kydex, it might be a little rough inside your waistband especially with the clips also being kydex. Not the case. It is every bit as comfortable as the crossbreed style holsters in my opinion.

Overall, this may be one of my favorite AIWB holsters to date. It is a little larger than the KyTac Burk holster but the addition of the extra clip and the adjustability make it a very sturdy holster with no movement whatsoever.

I will give the IWB version of the holster a 4.25/5 hollow point rating. Slightly higher than the OWB version because I just like AIWB carry better. Either conversion of this holster will serve you well.

PS: After I got the holster adjust where I wanted it, I added a little blue Loctite to the screws because they tend to work their way loose after a few days of wear. Also, as mentioned in the OWB review, there is a sweat guard on both sides of the gun making it ambidextrous. I might cut off of the outside sweat guard to make re-holstering a little easier but that is only a personal choice

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
ADDENDUM 2: I switched to a Glock 19 but kept this same holster. The end of the slide sticks out about 1/2" but hasn't caused any issues so far.

I still carry it in the appendix position but it can be rotated around to the 3 o'clock and works pretty well (picture below). I don't carry it there because I like AIWB for sitting down better

I am going to mess around with the various clip positions and see if I can get the inboard clip (by my zipper) moved closer to the body of the gun so I can slide the gun closer to my midline

20150813_163023_zpssngqzs2o.jpg

20150731_122434_zpsrwrilmtl.jpg

Latest posts