Black Rain

Chris_Andersen

Certified
I think that prop gun thing was a fluke. The gun i got does not have that issue. Other than the trigger, Id say that this is a very nice gun. That's coming from a guy who is sponsored by another rifle company.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The trigger isn't anything worse than any other factory turd. In still not sure why companies think having a shitty trigger like a stock military trigger is ok for retail sale. I know companies don't like putting out 2 Lb triggers but a nice crisp 4-5 lb pull isn't to hard to achieve.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I hate to say it, but I would imagine the vast majority of AR owners don't know that there are better triggers out there. I would also bet there is I high percentage of those ARs that don't get shot. It doesn't matter what the trigger is like if the gun lives in the safe. :)

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. I can't say anything good or bad about BRO, the 3 rounds I shot last night was the first time I've touched one.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I think that prop gun thing was a fluke. The gun i got does not have that issue. Other than the trigger, Id say that this is a very nice gun. That's coming from a guy who is sponsored by another rifle company.

So it's a pretty standard gritty Mil-Spec trigger?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Troy, it seemed like a standard mil spec. Better then some triggers I've used. The first DPMS I bought seemed like it had a 4 stage trigger.

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Right what does Milspec mean?
Fancy rails, or the size of something, or a heavy trigger "oh its a milspec one" and ect

Chris_Andersen

Certified
Right what does Milspec mean?
Fancy rails, or the size of something, or a heavy trigger "oh its a milspec one" and ect

Mil-spec is short for military specification. It is basically a standard sat of criteria used by the defense department for tolerances/manufacturing criteria for firearms and other items. A mil-spec trigger, is usually below average , and a little heavy compared to most of the aftermarket offerings. But it is also cheap, usually very reliable, and safe. Alot of manufacturers go that route though due not in small part to the potential liablity issues of installing a super light trigger in a gun.

SgtDave

Well-Known Fanatic
I built a rifle with Black Rain receivers and was impressed by the quality of their product. I used a WOA 18" SPR barrel, PRI FF handguard, magpul furniture and a JP trigger. It definitely does not "suck ass".

TroyF

TheBearcat
I built a rifle with Black Rain receivers and was impressed by the quality of their product. I used a WOA 18" SPR barrel, PRI FF handguard, magpul furniture and a JP trigger. It definitely does not "suck ass".

Pic or its a lie...

SgtDave

Well-Known Fanatic
Here you go.
jp006.jpg

DoubleTap

Fanatic
I have several and built many Black Rain Ordnance rifles... I have never had any problems with any of their products whatsoever. I have a Class 07 Manufacturers License, an SOT permit, and I've touched almost every brand receiver there is... What I know about the AR-15 type rifle has taken over a decade to learn. I owned one of the first BRO lowers that sold. They are constantly working on new innovations and refining their products. Some of their rifles are designed for a market that hardcore shooters and gun "users"
wouldn't want cause they may scratch them when they are sliding in rocks or harsh conditions. Myself, I'm new to the 3Gun scene... but I'm going to be shooting a BRO gun in any competition I go to because I like the product... and I believe in supporting people who support the sport and truly believe in their product... Not to mention the fact that the people at BRO are quality people. I hope you enjoy your rifle!

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I see what Squids getting at, though his tactic may be a bit rough... I have handled the black rain rifles, never shot one, but I have shot Knights, Larues, LMT's, JPs, Noveskes and several other of the higher end AR platforms, and I have shot a LOT of milspec issued junk, personally I hate the hydrodip look, just not my cup o tea, but thats me. As far as the Black Rains, from the 0 mark, they are way up there, but comparing bang for buck, I think you can spend better money elsewhere. Not to say they are bad, and if thats what you want, do it up...but there are better guns out there in that price range, whether it be the customer service(only basing on having dealt with other companies) of the manufacturer or fit and finish. I would want to put hands on a lot of different guns before laying out that kinda cash for a rifle. And as far as using milspec triggers, thats a "standard", for a reason, theres a lot of room to go up from that

dennishoddy

Mil spec is designed to take the abuse of combat, and remain as safe and reliable as possible. If your in a squad and take a round to your lower/upper rendering it useless, one can do a battlefield pick up, break it down and get back to work. The military is a uniformed service where everybody shoots the same thing, and are tought to use the same sight picure, etc. (SPECIAL OPS get to pick their own)
Its not always for guns either. Mil spec goes right into electronic components for example. They are designed to take higher/lower temperatures/current, than standard components to allow them to be used in the multiple enviroments that the military may be operating in .

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
When you handle an M16 that has been abused by 30 Marines before you, then its Junk, out of the box Id happily take a MilSpec rifle, and milspec vs custom trigger is a training issue, not an equipment issue.

goodwink

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, here is how it worked out. I did a custom order for a 16 in carbine with full length handgaurds, SS barrel and comp,
And they didn't get it right -partially the dealers fault. At 100 yards you can hit a pie plate, but not much else past that. Mil spec trigger traded out for a ssa-e g trigger-that should help-TBD. Have tried 55 to 80 grain, won't group worth a â'¬>><~~.
Hopefully they will ship the right parts for my gun soon-been three weeks now.
Hopefully, a 2500.00 gun will do better than this. The factory has a 1inch guarantee at 100, I may be the first to collect on the guarantee
We will see. am I disappointed, so far yes.

On another note, my Noveske under ranch rifle -excellent gun- hit an ace of spades at 350 yards with a mixed bag of ammo- and it was 1800.00!!!!!!!!

Latest posts