Best Training Resources?

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
I apologize if this has been covered before.. But I think it would be great if we could start a comprehensive list of the best training resources out there. I'm a relatively new shooter and this would be extremely helpful to continue to develop my shooting skills. Any help or feedback members could provide would be great!

Thanks - Paul

1). List of local and national instructors along with recommended courses (incl. thoughts and feedback)

2). List of recommended books (incl. thoughts and feedback)

3). List of recommended videos (incl. thoughts and feedback)

4). List of other training resources

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Great idea! I think there is a thread on books somewhere on here. Antichrome has read and watched every book and DVD. He can probably make the list and pin it for us.

Here are my top 3.

J. Michael Plaxco - Shooting From Within
Brian Enos - Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals
Lanny Basham - With Winning In Mind

Enos book is a bit deep do starting with Shooting Fro
within will keep your interest better at first.

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
Great idea! I think there is a thread on books somewhere on here. Antichrome has read and watched every book and DVD. He can probably make the list and pin it for us.

Here are my top 3.

J. Michael Plaxco - Shooting From Within
Brian Enos - Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals
Lanny Basham - With Winning In Mind

Enos book is a bit deep do starting with Shooting Fro
within will keep your interest better at first.

Thanks Jesse.

I'll look forward to seeing what Antichrome has to add as well.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i really like seeklanders book (has great drills also) and i took his class and i saw HUGE improvements... I loved seeklanders class because it was ALL competition based shooting, we didn't waste time talking about how to kill an intruder or what to do if someone is trying to shoot you with a shotgun (i have taken classes like that), we shot a ton and got great one on one help... couldn't recommend his class more...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Brian Enos book is a must. It centers around shooting a pistol, but it's only about shooting. Shooting is deep stuff.

I bought Seeklander's book, too, and it's not really anything like Enos' book. It's a training guide. Not as much "how to", not as much detail about shooting, and I'm not sure that is understood when people buy it. It's a good book, and a great program. It emphasizes daily dry-fire practice and weekly match performance, basically a guide to improving your performance in running stages with a pistol. It's very good if you can make the time to follow along.

I also got Saul Kirsch's book "Perfect Practice", and it is pretty dry in terms of writing, but it's more a manual of specific drills to practice to maximize the building of your skill set while you practice. A lot of the drills are ambitious in nature, where you aren't practicing a bunch of 3-yard and 7-yard shots, but a mix of 5-yard to 20-yard shots, and several with shot distances at 25-yards to 45-yards. It's actually all in meters, since he's Israeli. This book is like a training program for challenging classifiers.
Someone associated with Double-Alpha put some clips from Saul's videos on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgbBChhrRKo&feature=plcp
That link will get you started. I haven't gained anything useful from any other videos, yet.

Latest posts