Best S&W J-frame Gunsmiths

Gunfighter13

New Fanatic
Gemini Customs, he is a part of pistolsmith guild. He did a custom job on a S&W 642 with a custom barrel and ported it. He also did a Ruger GP100 for me, both are GREAT jobs. I highly recommend him.

50GI-Jess

Fanatic
I do my own action jobs. But I would contact TK Custom if I needed their service.
The main spring has to retain 90 to 95% of it's full power.
I only use a reduced power rebound (trigger return) spring. Polish both springs and the hammer, sear and rebound slide.
If you still decide to reduce the hammer spring tension, use only Federal ammo.
The J-frame series if revolvers are usually used for self defense. Not competition.
So don't compromise it's reliability.

Snowman45

Fanatic
If they still offer the service, I'd send it to S&W for their revolver work. They used to do a great job of slicking up the action and making it noticeably smoother.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Thanks for all the input. Just one thing. I'm still leery about buying a new S&W revolver. I really don't like the H-hole. And my old M649 has spoiled me. But I'm seriously considering a M60 or M36(man, they jacked the price of that model up).

Wildbil44

New Fanatic
Thanks for all the input. Just one thing. I'm still leery about buying a new S&W revolver. I really don't like the H-hole. And my old M649 has spoiled me. But I'm seriously considering a M60 or M36(man, they jacked the price of that model up).
I have older s&w's, yeah they don't have the H-hole, newer ones do but it doesn't effect any function of the revolver other than you can make the the gun inoperable for safety reasons and is only a cosmetic issue to me. I have several newer S&Ws, I tried the keys to make sure they did what supposed to. Otherwise I don't use them at all, I don't even keep them wit the guns, they are in a drawer somewhere in my gun room with all the other keys. I don't like the key idea, you misplace the key after you lock it, what good is the gun other than a throwing object. Cane locks and padlocks for gun cases cane be cut if you misplace your key.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I've made up my mind. I'm not buying any S&W revolvers with the H- hole. S&W is stupid for still having those things. It looks like ****. And I don't what to hear the liability crap. Colt & Ruger doesn't. MAGA!
Kinda like Springfields lock in the msh on the 1911's. Lasted till it got home. I don't believe they use them anymore? I haven't bought a new Springfield in ages. Most of my stuff is pre tested lol.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
Kinda like Springfields lock in the msh on the 1911's. Lasted till it got home. I don't believe they use them anymore? I haven't bought a new Springfield in ages. Most of my stuff is pre tested lol.
One of the first things I do to a stock 1911, Springer or other is change the MSH to a Stan Chen SI MSH. Can't beat that IMHO.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
I think one would be better buying some snap caps .. get physically capable of using the revolver by dry firing often and a lot left and right.. Spend the rest on ammo . Practice shooting it left and right .. Keep cleaning flushing out the action lube and repeat.. Practice shooting minus zero to where ever you can effectively put rounds on target. With 5 rounds aboard.. I would make a real effort to learn how to repeatedly rapidly reload reflexively (smile). (something that appears to be often neglected).

There are a few full sized aftermarket grips available.. If you have room aboard.... easier to tame the Little BEASTIE.

"Cult of the Dummy Cord"

porschedog

Fanatic
^ + 1 for what Old Bill said. Live with it a while before you have a smith muck with it. You might be surprised and be happy with it. Stranger things have happened. Do what makes You happy.

Latest posts