"Best" Mags for Kimber 1911

Danny Tanner

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking to pick up a couple of extra mags for my 1911 and wanted some input from those with experience.

This is my CCW, so moreso than with a paper killing machine, I need it to be reliable through each and every round. I've never carried an extra mag, and probably won't start making a habit out of it, but I would like to have the option to do so as I please. So far, I've only used the single OEM mag and while it's performed perfectly, I've read just as many good stories as I have stories stories stating the mags are crap. It seems when they're good, they're really good mags, but when they're bad, they're really bad (Kimber fanboyism versus Kimber hatred, perhaps?). Sort of like a Volkswagen, which makes me nervous to buy more based off my personal experience with just 1 mag.

I know for 1911 mags there are fanboys for each one. I just wanted to ask those with experience for their suggestion of one over the other.

It seems that the biggest fanboy base belongs to the Chip McCormick and Wilson mags, so naturally, my attention is focused on these two. But, I've also heard good things about Kimber's KimPro Tac-Mags, just from less people. The price seems right on the KimPro mags, too. Before go and buy one of each and test them, I wanted to hear your experiences with each of these mags in their 7-round variants, and if you've used any of these in a 3" Kimber, then that's even better! If CM Power Mags have a consistent "crap" rating with 3 & 4" 7-round 1911's, then I won't even bother testing it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I can only speak from my personal experience. I haven't tried any after market mags except the Wilson 47D. I had a Springfield Champion that came with some cheapo mags and it wouldn't feed anything. I got a 47D and it never hiccuped once. Ever since then that is the first thing I do to any 1911 i get, buy a Wilson magazine for it. Even my Kimbers.

Hope that helps some

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I am looking to pick up a couple of extra mags for my 1911 and wanted some input from those with experience.

This is my CCW, so moreso than with a paper killing machine, I need it to be reliable through each and every round. I've never carried an extra mag, and probably won't start making a habit out of it, but I would like to have the option to do so as I please. So far, I've only used the single OEM mag and while it's performed perfectly, I've read just as many good stories as I have stories stories stating the mags are crap. It seems when they're good, they're really good mags, but when they're bad, they're really bad (Kimber fanboyism versus Kimber hatred, perhaps?). Sort of like a Volkswagen, which makes me nervous to buy more based off my personal experience with just 1 mag.

I know for 1911 mags there are fanboys for each one. I just wanted to ask those with experience for their suggestion of one over the other.

It seems that the biggest fanboy base belongs to the Chip McCormick and Wilson mags, so naturally, my attention is focused on these two. But, I've also heard good things about Kimber's KimPro Tac-Mags, just from less people. The price seems right on the KimPro mags, too. Before go and buy one of each and test them, I wanted to hear your experiences with each of these mags in their 7-round variants, and if you've used any of these in a 3" Kimber, then that's even better! If CM Power Mags have a consistent "crap" rating with 3 & 4" 7-round 1911's, then I won't even bother testing it.
Funny thing ... some of the Kimber- marked mags are Metalforms, who were the vendor for some of the Colt factory mags issued over the years.

Danny... you probably won't know unless you round up the likly suspects and give em a whirl in your pistol.

I have been running the same Chip M's in my full sized gun since 2003... and just picked up a couple of fresh ones the other day. They have worked in my Colt... and a GI surplus parts Auto Ordinance I used to own. Funny thing was... the AO gun would not run right with borrowed 47's...and was hit and miss with a batch of USGI surplus and knock off mags I had around... and they all worked in my commercial Colt. Go figure.

backspur

Fanatic
I recently acquired a used Kimber Compact. It came with a used Tripp Cobra Magg and a used Wilson. The Tripp functioned 100%, even though it turned out it had a broken spring. However, the Tripp was too long and buggered up the ejector upon hard insertion. The Wilson would not lock the slide back reliably. I ordered four new McCormick mags with Power Mag+ followers. They would not reliably lock the slide back on empty. I sent the McCormicks back and got a refund(excellent customer service). I ended up rebuilding the used Wilson with a new spring and follower. Now, it works great. I bought another new one and it works, too.

If your factory mag works, consider yourself lucky, and buy more. If you feel better with aftermarket, try mags from several good quality manufacturers. Preferably, manufacturers with a good retrun policy.

Latest posts