Best 9mm for Steel Challenge Competition

eht6183

Fanatic
Would like thoughts on some of the best 9mm for Steel Challenge competition, which I would like to try. Need info from those that know more and have more experience than me. I have shot Springfield, Glock and now have become a Ruger fan. Willing to try any. Thanks for your recommendations and help as always.

eht6183

Fanatic
I would not in it just to be #1. I am most interested in improving my skills. Skills I hope would help in self-defense and to just have fun shooting. I really enjoy time at the range. Thanks.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
eht6183 said:
I would not in it just to be #1. I am most interested in improving my skills. Skills I hope would help in self-defense and to just have fun shooting. I really enjoy time at the range. Thanks.

With that I would just use the weapon that you will be using for defense. Keep it simple and cheap for now.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Might be crazy, but my XD subcompact 9mm, I'm fast, little to no recoil, and I hit the same hole with 15 round clips in under 7 seconds.

Handles all sorts of ammo I put through it too...

I'm taking it out to play on the steel traps this weekend with some buddies.

GUNSMOAK

New Fanatic
A 9mm is definitely more comfortable for small framed carry. However, you will find that the best 9mm for steel challenge is a .40 or .45. :lol: :lol:

Due to the added capacity of mags w/ smaller diameter rounds, you'll likely have an extra round or two to RE-SHOOT those steels that don't spin/flop/drop on the first clang. But you will recover from each shot quicker if the pistol weight and your hand/arm weight are sufficient. Just don't lift your foot to run to the next station until you're sure the steel is down.

I often carry a nine due to size, weight, dress, & of course, comfort. But projectile size matters at times. Good Luck.

GUNSMOAK

eht6183

Fanatic
Thanks for all the replys. I have been looking at the M&P 9mm, but think I will stick with my Ruger SR9c for now. I carry it every day and after 4 handguns, this is the one I like the best and hit the target right where I aim. I appreciate all the advice.

Latest posts