Benelli M1s90 - problem with shell carrier latch

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
I started having issues with my M1 last night during reloading practice. When I hit the shell release button, it wasn't releasing a shell from the mag tube. Everything seems to check out fine when the gun is empty, but when I get shell pressure on the latch, it won't release a shell 75% of the time.

Has anyone had this issue with their M1? Maybe I need a new carrier latch spring?

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
How many times have the shells been loaded and unloaded? The rims get dented and scratched and won't sling out reliably anymore.

They've been loaded a bunch and the rims are pretty beat up. I'll try some live rounds tonight and see if that might be the issue.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Dummy shells aren't the problem. It does the same thing with new shells. Everything works fine when the gun is empty and also with one shell in the tube, but starts hanging up once I have two+ in the tube. Took everything apart and the carrier latch and cartridge drop lever look fine so I'm guessing I need a new carrier latch spring. It still feels good, but I have no idea how tight the spring should be.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Have you tried bending the latch a smidge to see if clearance is the issue?

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't tried bending it yet. I did go ahead and order a new carrier latch and spring. I heard the newer model carrier spring was a little different design than the older one. I'm hoping it's just a weak spring. Everything works fine until there gets to be a little pressure in the tube.

do you have an oversized bolt release button or tab of the gun?

If a spring is weak, then its the magazine tube spring.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, I have a DMW tab over the bolt release. Never thought about that, but It might be putting too much pressure on the bolt release button and keeping the carrier latch from retracting all the way. I'll bend it a bit and see if that helps.

Latest posts