Benelli M1 Double Feed / Shell Stop Issue?

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got my mag tube spring in today for my new to me M1 (cut to 16" overhang for now), and while loading it with some dummies about the 6 round would have a hard time staying in the magazine and would come back at me. I started inspecting the shell stop and it is just barely catching the rim of the shells. Figured I would get you guys' thoughts on what to do from here. The top 2 pics are of the gun I'm having problems with and the bottom 2 pics are of my other M1 that feeds perfect. Look how much further the shell stop comes out on the bottom gun.

thanks in advance folks.

if I remember correctly its the shell thats moving away from the "shell stop"
not the other way around. go wiggle the shell as it sits like that, youll find that the bottom m1 doesnt have much movement compared to the top one

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you for the reply. Is it just wear and tear that creates that space? what do you recommend I do to fix it?

Initial thoughts are to try and bend the lip of the shell stop out a bit but its pretty stiff metal and would be hard to get a good clamp on it with the bolt release button so near to it.

The space is created by hacking into the receiver with a Dremel without understanding what you can/cannot do. Test it out like I mention up there.
The bolt release button is part of it. The cure, if it's not a terminal illness, is to take it out of the receiver and gently tweak it like you mention..

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
you are absolutely right, the shell has a slight amount of lateral movement on the camo gun vs none on the black one. theirs no telling what all and who all has touched this gun but I guess that's just part of the risk when buying used. Ill see if I can bent the stop out just a touch without FUBARing the whole bolt release lever.

thanks a bunch man I really appreciate the advice.

Chad King

Well-Known Fanatic
You can remove the shell catch from the receiver then you won't have to worry about damaging the bolt release. Just pop the little roll pin that's holding it in and mind the small spring it's easy to lose then it's easier to put it in a vice or clamp it to a table or other flat surface then just slightly bend it out go in small bends at time bend a little put back in and rinse and repeat until it functions properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
Its all one piece on this gun. Ine solid bar fro. The shell stop to the trigger assembly with the factory release button welded near the shell stop. im afraid if I clamp it at the button it will break and then I have to pay someone to re-weld it. I have some ideas on how to clamp it secure without any pressure being applied to the button, just have to fiddle with it later today.

zghorner

Well-Known Fanatic
got it bent just enough but I scratched / scared the end in the process because when i put it back together the shell stop wouldnt slide off of the rim when fully loaded. Stripped it back down again and rounded the edge that contacts the shell rim and polished with a buffing wheel. now everything is working like it should.

I sure appreciate the help.

Latest posts