Benelli: 21", 28", or both?

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Alright, so I have this m1 that I've been using since I started shooting 3gun 9 months ago. I bought it several years ago used and came with a 28" barrel. I also have a 21" barrel that I got a few months ago and have been shooting it as you see in the pic below with 21" barrel and +5 Nordic (8 in the tube). I really enjoy shooting the gun in this configuration, but our local 3gun matches are all bay style and pretty much shotgun and pistol matches with maybe 20 rifle rounds thrown in. Because of that, I'd like to take advantage of a longer tube with more capacity so I'm more competitive/not loading the shotgun as often. Hence, I just bought a +9 Nordic from CPWSA. I put the +9 on the gun last night and it's LOOOOONG. I was curious, so I put the 28" barrel on the gun and the tube is still slightly longer than even the 28" barrel.

So, I'm thinking since the tube is that long, the barrel may as well be that long too. Then, that leads me down the path of thinking I should just sell off the + 5 tube and 21" barrel since I won't be using them. As far as a defensive/tactical shotgun, I have an NFA 14" Benelli M1 in that role.

Then again, I'm not super experienced with 3gun yet and I'm afraid maybe I don't know what I don't know. So, is there a reason I should keep the 21" barrel and/or the + 5 tube?

Thanks!
Benelli%20m1%20resize.jpg

IMG_8111_1.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I like the additional capacity no matter what. Even if you don't use it, its there if you need it.

As for the barrel, Your gun is gonna be pretty heavy anyway with 12 rounds in the tube, I don't think an extra 7" of barrel is gonna be a deal breaker. I say but the 28 and the +9 and shoot a couple matches and see how you like it.

26 is pretty optimal but since that isn't one of your choices, I say go with the 28" +9

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
I like the additional capacity no matter what. Even if you don't use it, its there if you need it.

As for the barrel, Your gun is gonna be pretty heavy anyway with 12 rounds in the tube, I don't think an extra 7" of barrel is gonna be a deal breaker. I say but the 28 and the +9 and shoot a couple matches and see how you like it.

26 is pretty optimal but since that isn't one of your choices, I say go with the 28" +9
Burk, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! What about the 26" makes it optimal? Maybe I could ditch both my 21 and 28 and pick up a 26. Just curious what makes it optimal.

Thanks again!

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are going to run the long tube I wouldn't worry about the longer barrel. Stick with the 28. Save the 21 and shorter tube if you want to shoot in 3GN factory division.

ASH556 said:
Burk, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! What about the 26" makes it optimal? Maybe I could ditch both my 21 and 28 and pick up a 26. Just curious what makes it optimal.

Thanks again!
Burk reading the internet saying the 26" is optimal is why he says 26" is optimal. That said a, 26 is optimal

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I used a 28" M1 all of last year well the 4 multi gun matches I shot. I never had an ounce of problems of the added 2". (Insert junk reference here). I used a Nordic Comp extension as well. I am used to shooting a 28 on my waterfowl rig and I use a 28 for anything that has to do with clays. Maybe it's just what I'm used to or maybe the added sight radius actually helps. But one thing is for sure, practice with whatever you have helps and what works for you may not work for Burk.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
Keep the 21 inch barrel. It never hurts to have options. That being said, I'll go against the grain and say 24" is optimal, because you know thats what I use and all.

ASH556

Active Fanatic
Well, thanks to Chris @ CPWSA I've got the gun all set up with the 28" barrel, Nordic + 9, Matchsaver, etc. I'll see some of you at the A3G championship next month with this setup. Good news is it dumps the whole tube as fast as I can pull the trigger, without hiccup, and with less recoil/movement than the 21". Bad news is doing that twice costs a whole box of shells.

IMG_8914.jpg

IMG_8911.jpg