Belly Band Holsters

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
Thinking about getting a belly band holster, mostly for warm weather walks (my running days are not likely to return)...

But I have some questions and can use some advice:

What about sweat? Sweat is good for us but is not good for guns... So how does one mitigate the effects of sweating?

I would like the options to carry RH 4 O'clock. RH Cross draw. LH 8 O'clock. LH Cross draw. Are all four options available in one holster?

Typically, as the mood and vibes strike, my carry pieces are usually one of the following: a Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 acp, a Sig P230 .380 acp, a Springer EMP 9mm and a DW Valkyrie .45 acp... Can one bbh handle that range of size and weight?

Any aspects I haven't thought of?

If any of you carry in a belly band, what brand do you like and what do I need to consider?

Thanks much for your help.

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
My guess is that everybody's tryin' to answer at once and the software just can't handle the massive response ...

Otherwise ... I mean, who wouldn't be anxious to talk about all the considerations and nuances of belly band holsters?

JP Miller

New Fanatic
I'm n the same boat.., no more running by order of my doctor. My problem is that I set behind a desk all day, so I try to get out on a bike and do 10 to 15 miles a few times a week. I use a Lirisy belly band that I picked up on Amazon for less than $20. The holster/band is very elastic and I think mine would go up to a 45" circumference. I typically carry a Kahr PM40 when riding. Even though the holster is ventilated and anti-seat, I tend to carry a stainless model when I'm working out. Getting wet is not too big of an issue, but between a pop-up shower and sweat drenched clothes, I tend to be a little cautious. I like the holster. It is comfortable and will accommodate up to a Glock 19/23 size handgun (Sig 229, M&P mid-size or compact, and all the smaller models like the Sig365, Glock 43, and Shield series). The design is ambidextrous though I tend to carry at the 3 or 4 position and occasionally a cross draw. The cross draw works well when setting on a bike. It has a mag pocket and an extra removable pouch (that I don't use) and it is a soft neoprene material, so lightweight and breathable. This holster does have a retention strap with a snap to secure the gun. I like this better than velcro for a quick release and a littler quieter. That strap, whether velcro or snap is important, so I would definitely look for a belly band that provides that.., especially when moving around a lot. Also, I have an older belly band that does not have the neoprene backing. It is not comfortable for working out and did not provide the support that the Larisy has. I"m not pushing that brand, but it is a version that you can compare to.

GerSan69

Fanatic
I hate them.
If you don't have the right body shape, it'll shift and get irritating.
If you aren't careful about where it's placed, the edges might cut into you just enough to (again) irritate.
If it's tight enough to hold a gun from "jiggling around", it'll squeeze you and be uncomfortable.
If you are sweaty, it might slide a bit and irritate. Might even get a rash in extreme cases.
If you move too vigorously, it might shift around and (again) be uncomfortable.
It may be very comfortable standing, but as soon as you sit, stoop, bend over, it'll be uncomfortable.
The edges might fold over when you bend, causing discomfort.
The Velcro might rub if you aren't careful about how you close the two parts together.
Now, I readily admit many, many people use these successfully. I don't begrudge their success at all!
But some of us are not that fit or thin, or have the "wrong" shape to make these work, and after trying several brands and types, I gave up.
It wasn't really frustrating, though. I have two large boxes of "regular" holsters I've tried over the years already!
I just wanted to chime in with what could go wrong. Best of luck!

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
All good stuff. Thanks.

I'm reasonably fit ... (not too rolly poly) ... but have enough of a "spare tire", that I can see a belly band doubling over if/when I bend at the waist.

But I'm thinking ... almost exclusively for walking along the dirt and gravel road I live on.

I could probably "get away" with basic concealed OWB holsters... and super baggy and too-long shirts...

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought one for me, but the wife thought she might try it and after four years she is still trying it. Really she uses it when she goes shopping by herself. She is adamant about using the strap (A Hook style closure ). She carries a Glock 42 with extra magazine. I may have gotten it from amazon too, but different manufacturer. Very elastic. She wears hers over her outer clothes, but then a jacket or hoodie (Even in summer). I have another with out the strap and she dropped the gun in a public bathroom stall, she was the only one in the whole bathroom and no harm to the gun, but no strap, she won't use it.

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
Crossbreed makes one in cooperation w Rob Pincus. Reviews seem pretty positive.

Anyone have any experience with them? Anyone have any experience w Crossbreed belly band holster?

easy10

Fanatic
wearing my running shorts and a Belly Band now. Have the Ultimate brand, on Amazon. Actually have 2, you need to wash and dry them. Works well with a Glock 43. Easy10, an easy 10 miles :)

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Crossbreed Ankle holster for pocket sized guns, a Crossbreed for a Mustang Pocket holster and a IWB Cross breed for a XDS. All good, but no Crossbreed Belly Band.

wadeestes

New Fanatic
I have one from Pistolwear. Excellent. Adjustable, thick enough to where I haven't had any discomfort issues, easily hides and supports my 9mm EMP, small magnetic closure (no snap to mess with) that has worked perfectly. All with aggressive walking. Also, it completely covers the pistol so the grip is not protruding and has a smooth plastic sheet that serves as a sweat barrier. It is thick enough that it doesn't print. Just looks like you have some belly fat.

Last edited:

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
My guess is that everybody's tryin' to answer at once and the software just can't handle the massive response ...

Otherwise ... I mean, who wouldn't be anxious to talk about all the considerations and nuances of belly band holsters?

The funniest thing I've read all week! Thanks for the chuckle!!

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
I wore one under my uniform shirt with an S&W M60. When I took it off and washed every few days I never wiped down the SS revolver.
When I finally said to my self...self you better wipe the revolver down it was too late. The SS was pitted with rust...

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I wore one under my uniform shirt with an S&W M60. When I took it off and washed every few days I never wiped down the SS revolver.
When I finally said to my self...self you better wipe the revolver down it was too late. The SS was pitted with rust...

So sorry to hear this. A nightly wipe down with a quality silicone rag is essential, regardless of what type of gun you carry (even Hard Chrome).

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
Ive tried them and they have their place.Just like others have said buy 2 wash them ,check frequently if you are sweating remove gun and wipe down.

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
I agree with Easy10,Thats what I would do when I wore one for six years Undercover.