Be the 1st one with this 1911 @ the range..

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
You know you want one... be the envy of all your shooting pals, and any who lay eyes on this beauty. I can't wait for mine to arrive!
It's the Kimber Custom II Aztec..as described below:

The Kimber Custom II "Aztec" 1911 is a limited production GrabAGun exclusive. This one of a kind pistol is 24 carat gold everywhere and engraved with Aztec symbols. Stand out at the range with this elegant yet flashing one of a kind 1911. Get the best 1911s for sale today at GrabAGun.com

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
You know you want one... be the envy of all your shooting pals, and any who lay eyes on this beauty. I can't wait for mine to arrive!

The Kimber Custom II "Aztec" 1911 is a limited production GrabAGun exclusive. This one of a kind pistol is 24 carat gold everywhere and engraved with Aztec symbols. Stand out at the range with this elegant yet flashing one of a kind 1911. Get the best 1911s for sale today at GrabAGun.com

Oh my!

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I have one more 1911 to complete my collection, and that ain't it. Lol
I'm not paying that much for a pistol that I won't ever shoot.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I love Kimbers, I got several good ones and I like a little blingOf course don't have a gold one, do have a gold titanium slide on an Arsenal Strike One and a few Glocks with gold trim

Mohel Knives

Active Fanatic

No pimp guns or Kkmbers ever in my safe

KVacek

Fanatic
My Kimbers are fine, including the one on my hip every day, but I have no idea what makes people want to spend $$$$ on silly "commemorative" guns of any sort. I'm even disappointed that my S&W Model 29 Dirty Harry gun has a laser engraved American flag on it as some sort of commemorative gesture. It was an incredibly good deal, unfired till I bought it. I'm all American but I'm also a purist.

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got two Kimber 1911's. First one is a Pre-II, Custom Classic Target (or is it Classic custom Target??) EXCELLENT pistol!! Crisp trigger with a 3.5 lb break.
The second one is a newer, 6" Stainless Target...not so excellent, at first. The MIM safety was horribly deformed. It wouldn't engage the slide when in the "Safe" position. The trigger was very creepy and broke at 6 3/4 lbs!! I called Kimber and very much to my surprise, they agreed to send me a new safety lever! It was perfect, from what I could tell. But it never made it onto the gun. While ordering new "parts", sear spring, stocks and various recoil springs (have several in different weights just to experiment with a few 1911's), I also picked up a Wilson thumb safety. Now, that perfect safety lever fully and solidly engages the slide. The G10 grips and a Cylinder & Slide main spring make this gun pretty sweet. Trigger is at 4 lbs consistently and it is a nice enough gun, especially since it didn't have any type of firing pin safety. It is a series 70 design from the get go.

The one thing I don't care for on either Kimber I have is the smooth front strap. I like "Grippy" grips on my 1911's! I discovered many years ago, the Wilson add-on front strap "stippling" piece. Have them now on both Kimber's and one other...forget just now, which one that is.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    956.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 5

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
"The one thing I don't care for on any of the 1911's I have, is the smooth front strap. I like "Grippy" grips on my 1911's!"
I discovered the Wilson add-on front strap "stippling" piece., bought 1 in SS finish & 1 in blue, to try them.

Having a variety of sizes, brands, and calibere. of 1911, I tried to see how the Wilson pieces would fit on several of them.
Discovered that they fit pretty well a few,, not so well on others, and not at all on some. I put the SS one on my early 80's made Springfield Govt. model, it fit very well, the blue one is on my STI Spartan V , ( also a Govt. mode).. It was difficult to get it to stay on the STI, , ended up using rubber cement to the front strap, & then squeezing it around the frame, to get enough of the edges of the piece to fit under the G-10 grips I have on it

The problem is the Wilson piece is just a bit too short to fit under the grip panels, that are supposed to hold it on the pistol. If the edges were 1/8" longer, they'd fit better. If my memory is correct, when I tried it on a few Colts, they wouldn't fit at all. Frame shape, beneath the trigger guard is too wide, on my Delta & Combat Commander.

What I learned from this was .: 1911 frames may look identical, they may even have all the holes & cuts in the same places, so internal parts fit & are interchangeable. This doesn't extend to having identical frame shapes.. Not something I'd even even considered before, but trying to install these simple stamped steel pieces around the front strap shows how subtle differences exist in the frames.

The Wilson piece is a great low cost mod for 1911's if you want to add texture to your front strap, but don't want to spend $300.00 or more having a gunsmith do hand checkering on it for you. Be aware that it may not fit on your brand of 1911.

Last edited:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Talon Grips makes a piece for front straps that works really well, used to be 5 bucks free shipping, I bought a good many to have on hand, I actually like these better than 25-30 line checkering, not as pleasing to the eye as a nice checkering but the grip you get along with G10 grips is amazing

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
As stated earlier…

1- Not my thing
2- I don't begrudge Kimber for finding a niche in the marketplace.
3- Kimbers are fine examples of the art of the firearm.

Latest posts