Bat Maker to Pay $1M for injuries

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
The company that makes Louisville slugger bats was found liable for a $1M judgement in favor of the parents of a boy who was struck in the face by a line drive off of an aluminum bat. The plaintiffs claimed the bat's design was "defective and unreasonably dangerous...posing a known risk of grave harm" to those using it. The bat was in compliance with specifications adopted by the NCAA, Nat Federation of High Schools, Oklahoma Secondary Schools Activities Association.
Worse yet, The company marketed the bat based upon "profit-driven motivations, and was consciously indifferent to the dangers which the bat posed".
Go figure.

dennishoddy

For the life of me, I don't understand how any judge or jury could come up with that.
I certainly feel the utmost sympathy with the parents of the child that was killed, and can't imaging how the child that actually hit the ball, is going to cope with it.
The parents after the fact persuing this type of lawsuit......I don't feel a lot of sympathy with them.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
For the life of me, I don't understand how any judge or jury could come up with that.
I certainly feel the utmost sympathy with the parents of the child that was killed, and can't imaging how the child that actually hit the ball, is going to cope with it.
The parents after the fact persuing this type of lawsuit......I don't feel a lot of sympathy with them.

The child did not die and returned to baseball a couple years after the accident.

I do not agree with this judgement and I think if you allow your children to participate in organized sports, then you are accepting there are risks associated. If your kid gets hit be a ford explorer walking to the library for book club, you can not sue ford or the publisher of Harry potter. This is crap and the problem with America. Too many lawsuits for "paper cuts".

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I feel for the boy, but this is stupid. I remember catching a breaking ball under the eye, when I was in jr high school. I never thought about filing a suit, because the ball was too hard. Sometimes in sports, you get hurt. Nobody wants to see someone get hurt, but it happens.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i sued ambercobie and fitch after Jesse beat me up, because those clothes made him feel cooler than me and as a result he beat me up!!!

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
WOW! This is outragous! I hope Louisville Slugger goes through appeals court, and counter sues for slander and neglegence.

Or, maybe I should sue Kawasaki, the racing organizations, and the riding parks for my broken wrists, back, femur, facial bones, collar bone, fingers and other things I have injured in the past while racing motorcycles?! B.S.!!!!

Its a sport, people get hurt. Please go choke on your gold star sticker.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
WOW! This is outragous! I hope Louisville Slugger goes through appeals court, and counter sues for slander and neglegence.

Or, maybe I should sue Kawasaki, the racing organizations, and the riding parks for my broken wrists, back, femur, facial bones, collar bone, fingers and other things I have injured in the past while racing motorcycles?! B.S.!!!!

Its a sport, people get hurt. Please go choke on your gold star sticker.
Yep. I agree...
Ummm, does the "crash 217" have something to do with all the broken body parts, perhaps?

dennishoddy

Anybody involved in sports has had injuries. Its sad that our society had stooped to this level.
In my first post, I ASSUMED the kid was killed. We all know what happend when you ASS
UME something.

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
This kind of stuff makes my blood boil. I seriously wonder what's wrong with me that I don't understand why this type of "Justice" is ok with people these days, maybe I'm getting too old and/or I'm the result of improper parenting that taught me responsibility :banghead:

Wes

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
This kind of stuff makes my blood boil. I seriously wonder what's wrong with me that I don't understand why this type of "Justice" is ok with people these days, maybe I'm getting too old and/or I'm the result of improper parenting that taught me responsibility :banghead:

Wes

Wes,
I dont think it is you. I feel it is the judges that pass/allow/rule on these judgements. Then human nature (no subsutute for parenting) allows those kind of folks to do what they can get away with.
Wonder if Judge Parker ever ruled the breeder of a horse should be sued for a horse kicking a smith?

crash217

Well-Known Fanatic
  • Jeff S. --- Yes, I got the nickname Crash shortly after the broken femur/facial bones wreck. 217 was my first assigned national number in 1990, I earned number 11 by the end of the year.

Latest posts