Basic tools needed for the DW TCP

Buddha

Fanatic
I'm comfortable field stripping and cleaning my TCP, and I have the dawson extractor removal tool.. But what basic tools, or better yet kit should I buy when I feel comfortable disassembling the lower grip frame, or is it even necessary? And if I do finally disassemble the lower grip frame, should I polish any parts with 1000 grit before reassembly using mobil 1? There are plenty of local gunsmiths, but I don't know any and have a trust issue..

Thanks

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
First off you do not need any tools to Field strip a 1911.
However I do have many gunsmithing tools & a few wanted not need tools, for convivence.
I bought a main spring removal tool off e-bay that is easy to use, only not necessary.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
And if I do finally disassemble the lower grip frame, should I polish any parts with 1000 grit before reassembly using mobil 1? There are plenty of local gunsmiths, but I don't know any and have a trust issue..
Shoot the heck out of it ,then look at the wear pattern. Every firearm can use a little polish in the right places.
I use Tri-Flow for lube in my 1911s, ARs etc.

Buddha

Fanatic
Thanks guys.. Looks like the only thing I'm missing is some chop sticks or a brass 3/32 drift pin to help push pins in and out.

And what grit wet/dry do I use to polish? I used 600 on the extractor sharp corners. Do I need any stones?

BTW.. I had 7 last round failure to lock's during the 500 round break-in on sunday using the two DW mags. Two failure to lock's were on the last two mags number 490 and 500. Four slow feeds, one I had to help in.. I cleaned after every 50 rounds until I got to 300, then cleaned every 100.

Is my fail to lock simply because the TCP was dirty running blazers? Allot of people have the same problem with DW's.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
BTW.. I had 7 last round failure to lock's during the 500 round break-in on sunday using the two DW mags. Two failure to lock's were on the last two mags number 490 and 500. Four slow feeds, one I had to help in.. I cleaned after every 50 rounds until I got to 300, then cleaned every 100.

Is my fail to lock simply because the TCP was dirty running blazers? Allot of people have the same problem with DW's.

Whoa on the stones & punches. You need a reliable 1911 to start with.
I'm gonna let the others take this lock back issue, it's a problem with a real need to be resolved first.

Buddha

Fanatic
Ive done some research and found that the recoil spring maybe to strong, or maybe after 450 rounds of 124gr blazers my hands, right elbow I cant straighten with nine screws and plate holding it together, and dental floss holding my left shoulder on might actually be the issue. lol

Doubt my fingers were touching the slide lock, because my hands are small and I can barely reach it trying. Could also be the follower didn't hit the slide lock, but I checked that out and don't believe that's the case..

My guess is that I was fatigued.. But hickok45 said his DW failed to lock back even after getting it back from DW and what fixed it was a wilson combat slide lock, not the ballistic but the cheaper one. So I need to buy some better ammo and only run 100 rounds first I think.

Ohrings

Fanatic
I'm comfortable field stripping and cleaning my TCP, and I have the dawson extractor removal tool.. But what basic tools, or better yet kit should I buy when I feel comfortable disassembling the lower grip frame, or is it even necessary? And if I do finally disassemble the lower grip frame, should I polish any parts with 1000 grit before reassembly using mobil 1? There are plenty of local gunsmiths, but I don't know any and have a trust issue..

Thanks
I
Ive done some research and found that the recoil spring maybe to strong, or maybe after 450 rounds of 124gr blazers my hands, right elbow I cant straighten with nine screws and plate holding it together, and dental floss holding my left shoulder on might actually be the issue. lol

Doubt my fingers were touching the slide lock, because my hands are small and I can barely reach it trying. Could also be the follower didn't hit the slide lock, but I checked that out and don't believe that's the case..

My guess is that I was fatigued.. But hickok45 said his DW failed to lock back even after getting it back from DW and what fixed it was a wilson combat slide lock, not the ballistic but the cheaper one. So I need to buy some better ammo and only run 100 rounds first I think.

Ohrings

Fanatic
I destroyed my left shoulder during Covid. I had to wait 6 months before they could get me into the hospital due to Covid patients crowding the hospitals. Finally had surgery but was told no shooting for at least 6 months. When the time came to go to the range for the first time, I took my Colt Gold Cup, a 9mm and .22 pistol. I shot five round with my .45 and it was too strong. Went down to the 9mm with no luck. I could not handle the recoil with the two pistols. I do load to power factor to shoot IDPA. I called a friend and got a recipe to load down to a softer powder and less recoil. I can now shoot accurately, forgetting the power factor of a factory bullet which is too strong for my mechanics in my shoulder. I able shoot an easy several 100+ rounds.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

Best of luck. Fatigue can certainly be a contributing factor. I was testing a full size Springfield 45 l/w a while back. I forget how many rounds I shot, but I had in excess of 10 7rd mags on the bench, and I emptied them all. Not excessively fast, but not slow either. Mix of Black hills 230gr hp with xtp bullets, and hard ball. With 3 of the last six mags I shot, I had 3 failures to feed last round. Same make mag, but I had others of the same brand, that worked fine before. The 3 final mags were ball, and all worked perfectly, but I paid extra close attention as to how I held the gun for the final mags too. No misfires, no failures to eject. Fatigue definitely got the better of me that day. I understand small hands, and short fingers. Hope you get your problem solved, that can get frustrating to say the least.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Can you get a friend to shoot your pistol? Just to see if it's you or the gun.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have done that before with my friend who happens to be an incredible shot. One time, it really was the gun. It went back to Springfield, and they replaced the barrel, and sent it back. Wow, does it shoot now! My buddy that shot it, now owns it, lol.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
One time, it really was the gun.

As we all realize, the 1911 is as perfect as JMB could make it.
There are 3 things that can F it all up. The Magazine #1 Ammo #2 & YOU the driver #3.

Having shot High-power rifle for so long, I guess you could label me a Rifleman.
I can't carry that M1A with me everywhere, so I carry a 1911 for that job.

When it counts.
I push out & pull back with my left hand real hard. So hard I can no longer shoot 1/2 a box of 50 45acps without a break.
Who cares I say? I am going to pull grip & fire when my life is in harms way.

For those who carried a Pistol into battle, it was just understood that the pistol was your last chance to survive, when without your Rifle.

Buddha

Fanatic
I destroyed my left shoulder during Covid. I had to wait 6 months before they could get me into the hospital due to Covid patients crowding the hospitals. Finally had surgery but was told no shooting for at least 6 months. When the time came to go to the range for the first time, I took my Colt Gold Cup, a 9mm and .22 pistol. I shot five round with my .45 and it was too strong. Went down to the 9mm with no luck. I could not handle the recoil with the two pistols. I do load to power factor to shoot IDPA. I called a friend and got a recipe to load down to a softer powder and less recoil. I can now shoot accurately, forgetting the power factor of a factory bullet which is too strong for my mechanics in my shoulder. I able shoot an easy several 100+ rounds.
Physical therapy, PT, and more PT. It's painful, but does work to a extent.
Doctor told me he heard cherry juice and celery helps heal rotator cuff injuries. But also said the shoulder gets very little blood flow is why it takes so long to heal.
I do have a buddy who lives out in the sticks and where I shot the first event free, other than a slow feed, 50 rounds. Just the fact I didnt have any fail to locks the first 50 rounds tells me the gun was either dirty due to the blazer brass, or it was fatigue. The only reason I shot 450 rounds is because I don't get out to the farm much. I wanted to get this breakin period over with and know if there was a problem with the TCP, but I have almost five years to do that.
As we all realize, the 1911 is as perfect as JMB could make it.
There are 3 things that can F it all up. The Magazine #1 Ammo #2 & YOU the driver #3.
Having shot High-power rifle for so long, I guess you could label me a Rifleman.
I can't carry that M1A with me everywhere, so I carry a 1911 for that job.
When it counts. I push out & pull back with my left hand real hard. So hard I can no longer shoot 1/2 a box of 50 45acps without a break.
Who cares I say? I am going to pull grip & fire when my life is in harms way.
For those who carried a Pistol into battle, it was just understood that the pistol was your last chance to survive, when without your Rifle.
The only mags Ive used are the two DW supplied metalform mags. Ive read Checkmate SS w/hybrid feed lips w/skirted followers are better, but figured I better stick with the metalform mags for now. Next ammo will be 124gr american eagle FMJ AE9AP just to see if different ammo changes anything.

Agreed, I'm going to defend myself if anyone enters my home..

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Physical therapy, PT, and more PT. It's painful, but does work to a extent.
Doctor told me he heard cherry juice and celery helps heal rotator cuff injuries. But also said the shoulder gets very little blood flow is why it takes so long to heal.
There are a lot of things you can do without an MD. aka Mini Deity :oops: knowing or even caring about real conventional medicines & nutrition.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
There are a lot of things you can do without an MD. aka Mini Deity :oops: knowing or even caring about real conventional medicines & nutrition.

I have had therapy for my right hip a few years ago. I thought I had arthritus, but it is instead it's a spur in the tunnel that a tendon or something, runs thru, and it hurt like hades to sit or walk. The therapy really helped, and so does 400mg of Magnesium a day. No more pain, and I can drive w/o hurting now. Just my .02, for whatever that may be worth.

Buddha

Fanatic
Yes, Ive been eating laundry detergent for years..

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, Ive been eating laundry detergent for years..

Very interesting. Thank you.