Barrel Break in

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a DPMS SASS 7.62 on the way. Should have it Monday. I have heard several different stories on breaking in a barrel. Do you need to do it, if so, how?

Thanks

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I clean it right out of the box to make sure there isn't any grease or obstructions in the barrel. Then shoot the piss out of it until accuracy starts to fade then clean and repeat.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
I broke my NRA/CMP Hi Power service rifle upper in by shooting an 80 round reduced course match with it. Like...boom....boom....boom....x80.

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I Can't make out the technique used for the rifle toss. But, it looks like technique is not as important as making sure you have good gravel to toss it on.

So, if I understand the your video, I need to toss it on gravel three to four times. Making sure it gets nice and scuffed.

Then:

Fire one round, clean and repeat 1000 times and then replace barrel?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I asked this same question when I got my first high $ barrel and this was the response I got when I finally quit searching for the proper technique on YouTube and the many forums. I guess the moral of the story is you can shoot one clean one until the barrel wears out or you can shoot 1000 and clean. Nobody seems to have any data that proves one way is the best. Persoanally I used the procedures that JP recommended I do with their barrel that way if it was damaged during break in I could use the the "I followed your directions excuse"

Let us know how it shoots once you get it broken in.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Well-Known Fanatic
I generally modify a "break in" to my own likings. I'll shoot a few times, run a boresnake+ some oil down it, and repeat a few times, and then not worry about it anymore. You can cause damage by running a brass brush down your bore too many times...so I figure it's not worth worrying about too much B)

dugby

Active Fanatic
Do I detect some element of skepticism in those videos?

Perhaps cleaning them with Royal Purple Break in oil would be a good idea. A lot of people with rifles also have motorcycles. Ought to help the myth get some traction.

Seriously though some guns can play better dirty than they do clean and accuracy can change as you shoot them. I had one rifle that shot well on first 50 rounds when new, then went to crap for about a 100 and is now back to singing right along.

bjg-1911

1911 Master
This might help from Kreiger barrels:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

Barry Greyson

Latest posts